Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Why bother with Junior Officers?

I'm a junior, but I don't get why some departments give out Junior Officer Rankings. It just seems like a good way to get the Junior's pist off at each other, b/c then you have the juniors telling each other what to do and they get jealous that "hes the Junior Chief and I'm not."

MembersZone Subscriber

My Junior Program has one cadet as a captain, and its worked out just fine. It serves a good purpose, because if we will not be able to make a special Junior Firefighter drill, we can contact him and let him know we will not be attending. It works out quite well. Nobody is jealous of him, and he is not treated any differently than any other cadet, and dosent treat us any differently.

Forum Member

nitsusa98,
    I see your point. For us the juniors go to the same drills as everyone else. I think there is one kid though that just got off probation that would get especially pist if on of us was a Captain and he wasn't. He gets mad if someone else gets to pull out our Ford F-350 Brush Truck even though he does it alot.

MembersZone Subscriber

If he is that big of a baby about things, then he can sit there and cry like one. Name someone else captain, and keep pulling out the god damn brush truck all you want.

LEADERSHIP

Junior/Explorer officers are good chances for leadership. At drills, etc., the post officers lead most of the time. They are the most experienced and knowledagble people. It should probably not be someone just off of probation anyways.

e.g. At our post you must be off probation for at least 1 year before you are eligible for the advisors to select you as an officer.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveChevyNova
    nitsusa98,
    He gets mad if someone else gets to pull out our Ford F-350 Brush Truck even though he does it alot.
    Who cares about a stupid truck. He needs to be more worried about learning to be a fireman. He is only a t-shirt wearer.
    "Training doesn't make you a good fireman, fighting fire makes you a good fireman"
    http://thedarksideof911.blogspot.com/
    FTM-PTB-EGH
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Talking

I'm an advisior for my explorer program the reason i have implemented officers is this. First it teaches leadership, I was at the time explorer chief for 3 years and learned alot in that time now I am Lt. for the FD and I couldn't have done it without the program. Second it gives the explorers something to work for besides waiting untill there 18 to accomplish something. We also have the explorer of the year award that is voted on by the explorers realy its to promote self confedents and if some one doesn't like it i hate to say it but theres the door.

Forum Member

From personal experience, I can tell you that if you are considering a career in the fire service, you should learn how to accept disappointment with grace and dignity. Everyone is passed over for promotion at some point. It's never easy, but a true professional will learn what they can from the experience, do what it takes to make him or herself a better candidate, and then try again.

One of the major purposes of FD youth programs is to show their members what a firefighting career is like. Being passed over for promotion is part of the package. If a youth member doesn't handle it well, they can either learn to do so, or find another career. Either way, the program will have served its purpose.

****ed, not pist.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief310
    From personal experience, I can tell you that if you are considering a career in the fire service, you should learn how to accept disappointment with grace and dignity. Everyone is passed over for promotion at some point. It's never easy, but a true professional will learn what they can from the experience, do what it takes to make him or herself a better candidate, and then try again.

One of the major purposes of FD youth programs is to show their members what a firefighting career is like. Being passed over for promotion is part of the package. If a youth member doesn't handle it well, they can either learn to do so, or find another career. Either way, the program will have served its purpose.

I couldn't of said it better myself.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

I bet he would whine when he doesnt get to drive the rig (that is when he is with a dept)
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

BUT I WANTED TO DRIVE THE GRASS RIG!!!

I'm sorry I had to.

Our program is pretty much explorer run with overseeing by a few supervisors which are members of the department. our meetings are run by our captain, and most of the decisions are made by a body vote obviously the supervisor can make the overall decisions, but it is mostly up to us to think of fundraising, run meetings, dicipline (with direction from supervisor). For right now we have a captain, treasurer, and a secretary. everything works out fine.

My Explorer program uses officers for the leadership benefit. We have a Chief, Captain, and Lieutenant. The Chief will run the scene, the Captain will take care of interior or exterior items, and the Lieutenant will take care of what the Captain isnt. As for our business section, we have a President, Secretary, and Treasurer. President will run the meeting, Secretary will take minutes, as well as take care of communications (relaying meeting info to Explorers, setting up events, etc) and the Treasurer takes care of financial business (cashing checks, collecting dues, etc).

As you can probably tell, our post is run completely by its youth members. Our 3 Advisors oversee our operations. When we do drills, the Advisors will set up everything (IE scenario, tell us what happened...or tell the Chief and he relays it to us), then we step in and take over just as if we showed up on a call. After the drill is completed, the Advisors brief us on what we did right and what needs to be changed/corrected.

Thread Information