Thread: Axes

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Axes

We currently dont marry out irons together, but finally we are going to. A disagreement that we are having right now is that we are split on which axe we should use. Flathead or Pickhead. The red hats want the pickhead cause you can pry with it. Our argument is that if you have both irons, then your going to be using the hall. to do the prying.

whats your preference , flat or pickhead. whats the pros and cons of both? Thanks
    Your a daisy if you do.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ftfdverbenec770
    We currently dont marry out irons together, but finally we are going to. A disagreement that we are having right now is that we are split on which axe we should use. Flathead or Pickhead. The red hats want the pickhead cause you can pry with it. Our argument is that if you have both irons, then your going to be using the hall. to do the prying.

whats your preference , flat or pickhead. whats the pros and cons of both? Thanks

Flathead! Used as a striking tool. You can't drive the Halligan with a pickhead!

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Wow, this one turned into a pandora's box last time.

-A flathead axe can be used as a hammer.
    -A pickhead can be used to pry or for jamming into the roof to stand on.
    -A halligan can do anything that the pick on a pickhead can.
    -A pickhead can be used to jam into the roof of an adjacent building to give you something to grip onto if you need to jump off the roof real quick for some reason...
    -Pickhead axes look cooler
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Forum Member

I was allways taught a flathead was the correct axe to marry.

MembersZone Subscriber

It makes no sense whatsoever to marry the Halligan with a pick headed axe. Go with the flat head, 8LB if possible. The halligan will be able to do about everything you need done. The flat head is needed to strike, that's about it.

Forum Member

Anybody ever marry a halligan with an 8lb maul? Dont really agree with it but people above my pay scale like it.

Forum Member

as was mentioned before, when carried by itself, a pickhead is an excellent tool with a number more uses than a flathead. But if you're going to go the extra mile and carry the ultimate tool (the halligan), then you need a flat head to marry it with. A large part of the use of a halligan is being able to strike it, often times while someone is holding it. You try and swing a pickheaded axe while i'm holding the halligan, and there will be issues. Go flat, I say

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy4329
    Anybody ever marry a halligan with an 8lb maul? Dont really agree with it but people above my pay scale like it.
    Why not?

If you're using the halligan for forcible entry, I don't see any reason why you can't take a maul with you. I'd almost think that it would be slightly preferred over a flat head axe when it comes to busting open doors and such. Don't mauls and sledges usually have larger surfaces to strike with, then say an ax?

Was watching FH: Usa and saw a neat concept. Using a small mallet to pound the irons into a door. One man operation if done properly. Not saying you should leave an ax or maul behind, but just another concept to consider..
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy4329
    I totally agree with the sledge (maul)/halligan combination. When I am assigned the Irons, I always take the 10lb maul (sledge). Larger striking surface, heavier head (less work to strike), and an all around good set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue
    Was watching FH: Usa and saw a neat concept. Using a small mallet to pound the irons into a door. One man operation if done properly. Not saying you should leave an ax or maul behind, but just another concept to consider..
    Rescue, that is a thing unique to Boston to my knowledge. It is a good idea, but there are some doors as you know that the mallet isn't going to cut it. I agree with you, it wouldn't be advisable to leave your maul or axe behind in lieu of the mallet.

I don't see the point in marrying a pickhead axe with a halligan bar. What are you going to strike with if you have a pickhead axe? I don't think that this needs to be said, but under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should the pick be used as a strike on the halligan. You are asking for a serious injury!

Like I said before (CHICAGOFF will disagree again but): Take your pickhead axes, chrome them, polish them and put them on a wall or give them to some deserving retiree for a parting gift. Take the Halligan!

I think it was said before. "The pickhead axe looks cool!" So does carrying around a midevil Scabbard, but that doesn't mean it is going to work on the fireground.
    Last edited by NDeMarse; 11-29-2005 at 11:02 PM.
    Good Luck, Stay Low & Stay Safe

Nate DeMarse
    Co-Owner, Brotherhood Instructors, LLC.
    http://brotherhoodinstructors.com
    Facebook Users: Join us here
    -------------------------------
    GET IN THE JOB, BE A STUDENT OF THE JOB!

MembersZone Subscriber

If you are worried about prying that's what the halligan is for. Flat head axe.

Forum Member

I agree. If I'm just going to grab an axe its a pickhead, but I usually have the irons so its a flathead or the Denver Tool.
    When opening up the roof remember plywood comes in 4' X 8' sheets.

www.94firedept.com

IACOJ proud member

Forum Member

NDemarse, question just for clarification purposes.. as I can see advantages and disadvantages to both sides of the question I'm going to ask.

When you say "Irons", are you dropping the axe for a maul, or taking the maul in addition too?

An advantage I see here, is that you are carrying less, and can still perform the same duties. Disadvantage, if you need to use the point of the axe as a large wedge of some form when you're using the maul...

Your opinion?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fireman4949
    Flathead! Used as a striking tool. You can't drive the Halligan with a pickhead!
    Kevin
    Ditto Ditto

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Res343cue
    NDemarse, question just for clarification purposes.. as I can see advantages and disadvantages to both sides of the question I'm going to ask.

When you say "Irons", are you dropping the axe for a maul, or taking the maul in addition too?

An advantage I see here, is that you are carrying less, and can still perform the same duties. Disadvantage, if you need to use the point of the axe as a large wedge of some form when you're using the maul...

Your opinion?
    I drop the axe for the maul. The maul here is a 10-12 pound sledge hammer and not a "heavy axe" that many people know it as.

The point of the halligan is used instead of the point of the axe for any prying or wedging.

Nate DeMarse

Forum Member

I've been on the job for 7 years and have never, not once, used or seen anyone use a pick headed axe. To marry a pickhead axe w/ a halligan would be pointless.

Forum Member

I think in Boston, you can marry whatever you want. New laws or something.

Personally, the flathead and halligan is the way to go.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NDeMarse
    I don't see the point in marrying a pickhead axe with a halligan bar. What are you going to strike with if you have a pickhead axe? I don't think that this needs to be said, but under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should the pick be used as a strike on the halligan. You are asking for a serious injury!
    You strike with the end of the axe if you need to. Striking with the end of a 12 lb axe will give you plenty of driving force and better control than swinging a flat head axe around in a hallway.

Like I said before (CHICAGOFF will disagree again but): Take your pickhead axes, chrome them, polish them and put them on a wall or give them to some deserving retiree for a parting gift. Take the Halligan!
    We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. P.S. - you're wrong!!! lol

"The pickhead axe looks cool!" .
    Glad you agree with me (I love taking quotes out of context)

Forum Member

LOL, ChicagoFF's ears must of been ringing. He heard me chroming a pickhead axe again! LOL

Good to see ya again!

Nate DeMarse

MembersZone Subscriber

We marry up a Halligan with a Maul for our Fireproof Buildings which we know have a Steel door and Buck throughout. We modify the Maul by welding a metal strap on the top that the Halligan's Adz slips into.

Kinda like pictured below:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

I know others have beaten me to this answer but a halligan maried up to a flathead axe is the best combo for forcible entry.You can always uuse the axe to chop your way into a roof or door(did it last Sunday,matter of fact)but you cannot use a pick headed axe to drive a halligan.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefight99
    I've been on the job for 7 years and have never, not once, used or seen anyone use a pick headed axe. To marry a pickhead axe w/ a halligan would be pointless.

Maybe you aren't on the right department to use a pike axe. I guess you never had to remove a roof or shingles before. Larger East Coast cities use them and also use halligans and 10 pound flat head axe most of the time.
    OUTSTANDING

Make It Happen

Never forget 9-11-2001
    343 Brothers Who Were MURDERED!!

Forum Member

Just don't stand next to an ugly woman in beautiful downtown Ringgold Georgia,aka The Marriage Capitol of the World.They'll ask you"Do you have a car in the parking lot?" "I do." You're married!
    Quote Originally Posted by RadRob
    I think in Boston, you can marry whatever you want. New laws or something.

Personally, the flathead and halligan is the way to go.

Forum Member

I saw on History Channel that the fire service got pickhead axes from the Navy back around the turn of the century(no,the last one)and have been using them alternately with flatheads since then.Is there anyone who could expand on that?

Quote Originally Posted by allineedisu
    Maybe you aren't on the right department to use a pike axe. I guess you never had to remove a roof or shingles before. Larger East Coast cities use them and also use halligans and 10 pound flat head axe most of the time.

Forum Member

If your going to use an axe, go with the flat head. Myself, I like the sledge.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson
    I saw on History Channel that the fire service got pickhead axes from the Navy back around the turn of the century(no,the last one)and have been using them alternately with flatheads since then.Is there anyone who could expand on that?

Must have been the turn of the Century in 1800 - 1801! I have photos from old books that show pike headed axes back in the mid to late 1800's.
    OUTSTANDING

Make It Happen

Never forget 9-11-2001
    343 Brothers Who Were MURDERED!!

Thread Information