Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber ROOKIELZ's Avatar

Post Christmas with the Brothers and Sisters

Does your Volunteer Dept do anything special at Christmas?

Our town and RM use to invite us to their parties but that hasn't happened in quite a few years now.
    In the last few years, I have been taking some baked goods to our meeting closest to Christmas and the town supplied the pop. I would actually like to do a pot-luck, even if I have to host it in my tiny house but it seems like no-one gives a care. It's too bad because I enjoy everyone's company and I think it would be good for us as a group.

--------signed----------------
    a frustrated Mrs. Claus---------
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

we hold a Christmas party at out firehouse every year. Firefighters and there spouses, signifigant others of the single guys, parents and children all show up. Everyone brings a covered dish and a desert. Children play games, adults play cards/watch T.V.

It's a blast and everyone has a very good time. The food is more abundant than at thanksgiving! and later on that night.....Mr. and Mrs. Clause show up!!!

I could never miss that, I HAVE to sit on Mrs. Clauses lap and tell her what I want for Christmas..

Quote Originally Posted by ROOKIELZ
    Does your Volunteer Dept do anything special at Christmas?

Our town and RM use to invite us to their parties but that hasn't happened in quite a few years now.
    In the last few years, I have been taking some baked goods to our meeting closest to Christmas and the town supplied the pop. I would actually like to do a pot-luck, even if I have to host it in my tiny house but it seems like no-one gives a care. It's too bad because I enjoy everyone's company and I think it would be good for us as a group.

--------signed----------------
    a frustrated Mrs. Claus---------
    Hi rookielz,

Sorry about your department not caring about a Christmas Party. But maybe it just seems like they don't care. Don't give up, try working on just one person to buy into the idea and work your way up from there.

My old department held a Christmas party every year that was put on by the "FireBells" (Ladies Auxillary). Had plent of food, Santa would show up and hand out presents to the ff's children, and at the same time, we would hold our awards presentations for the year.

Now at my new department....nothing!!!! At least not yet. I just jointed a few months ago, but I hope I can start a new tradition there next year by having maybe a pot-luck type dinner (no Ladies Auxillary) and presenting awards for the ff's.

(By the way, I am a firm believer of showing how much you appreciate your ff's by giving awards for the job they have done that year.)

If your department gives out yearly awards (if they don't, maybe you should talk to the Chief about this), mention that it would be a good idea to present them at a Christmas Party (either at the fire house or your house).

Anyway, good luck and Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you and yours'.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Christmas is always a big deal with my volunteer department.We have a big dinner,everyone is invited,wives,husbands girlfriend/boyfriends,kids,we'd probably even have a few dogs there if it weren't for the health code in town.
    The Trustees always buy something from Our Designs or Galls to hand out like knives or jackets with the department's name and it's out of their own pockets which means something.
    We have a slide show of past calls and a gag awarding of a plaque with a box of Skinner's Spaghetti on it for the biggest screw up of the year.
    Since we have finally gotten our new station built,approved and moved into,our department's historian has dug deep into his attic and found slides of calls from way back when the department was new and memorable calls from later years.
    There's also a special surprise guest for the kids if we can get him out of his workshop.
    It's an enjoyable meal and gives us yet another reason to keep making calls as volunteers.We know that our department cares for its own and that's what matters any time of the year.

MembersZone Subscriber nozzelvfd's Avatar

we hold a Christmas party at out firehouse every year. Firefighters and there spouses, signifigant others of the single guys, parents and children all show up. Everyone brings a covered dish and a desert. Children play games, adults play cards/watch T.V.
    We do too, only we have are food catered. We get a DJ, have dancing, games, but I dont know why santa clause never comes.....
    You need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape.

Funny you should ask this.... we had ours Saturday nite... The local F.O.E. cooked us steaks, with music, a gift exchange, and with the help of a few brothers, we were able to put on a slide show of our years events.

Tell ya what, the slide show thing is a BIG hit around here, we put it on as kind of a Powerpoint show, with music to boot. Now we have to manage to keep a camera handy, already there's been some good photo ops, but no camera to capture them!
    Giggity - Giggity!

We hold a party at the end of the year. We all get dressed up in suits and what not. THe squad and the council people and the mayor all goto a nice banquet hall and have some food and music. It's not really a CHRISTMAS PARTY, or a HOLIDAY PARTY, but really a year end party when our new captain/officers get sworn in.
    Adam, EMT-B

Forum Member

We have a pot luck dinner with our families, a slide show, and Santa comes for the little-uns. The adults do a gift exchange where we all bring wrapped generic gifts and draw numbers. Then, when your number is called, you choose a gift from under the tree and unwrap it. The next person either chooses another gift, or steals yours, enabling you to go choose another wrapped gift. This gets to be a lot of fun, with all the stealing and dealing. Since our station doesn't have an area conducive to entertaining, a local camp donates their main hall to us for the night. It's a beautiful cedar A-frame building with an enormous Christmas tree and a huge stone fireplace, which makes for a very festive atmosphere. We, in turn, don't bill them for our emergency responses there for the year.

Volunteering as a firefighter can take it's toll on our families. We feel that it's important to have a few events a year to include them, so that they get to know the department, and start to understand why it's so important to us. I think it makes our family more supportive, and a spouse who supports a firefighter's membership can make all the difference in volunteer retention and participation, which is something that a lot of departments struggle with. Plus it's just great for morale to socialize together.

Forum Member

Talking Christmas with your brothers and sisters in the fire service

My department throws a family-style x-mas party usually in the first or second week in december and we all have a great time and we usually draw straws to see who plays the fat man this year!!

Family Christmas dinner with members, spouses, children, friends, etc. Santa comes and visits and the kids get presents after a good meal. Later that night we have a cocktail party that is just for members and spouse/significant other.

A week or two before Christmas, we contact any/all "needy" families in the town and get a wish list from them for their kids. We then go and buy what we can from the list along with a few bags of groceries. Christmas eve, we then go to their homes with Santa and deliver their stuff. Also go and visit some elderly folks.

The Line officers also have a gathering with the officers from our surrounding towns, helps to see the faces in a social event as opposed to always at fires. Keeps our communications going well.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

We do a few things;

Childrens Christmas Party... for members children, a list is placed in the FH..and each child's age and sex is written down. An appropriate gift is then purchased and given to the child at the party by Santa.

Members Christmas Party... usually the last week before Christmas, at the FH. catered food and good time.

We also started Christmas carolling around town. Every year we go to members houses that have died or been sick in the last year. We also went to some 9-11 families for the 2001 Christmas season (after asking their permission first). Last year (this year as well) we went to families that had families in Iraq. That went over very well. All members and their families are invited to this. Food at the FH after the singing.

Forum Member

We are a combined county career-volunteer department, and have an annual Christmas party for the firefighters, spouses, children, communications officers, EMS personnel who can attend, city firefighters, and even some LEOs and county government representatives show up. We have a dinner, usually catered-although this year the career department cooked Boston butts on a grill all day, and the hospital supplied the fixins' !
    We enjoy the fellowship, a slide show of the past year's calls and training, door prizes donated by local merchants, and annual awards-career and volunteer ff of the year, first responder of the year, communications officer of the year, station of the year.
    We sometimes have amateur entertainment; one year the "Flaming Flashovers" performed, and this year our station led a non-traditional sing-along, Christmas songs with firefighter lyrics.
    It is a good time for families, for different elements of the public service sector to mingle, and a morale builder between the career and volunteer segments of the department.
    Keep trying to get some sort of tradition started-most people think they already have too much to do this time of the year, but it is well worth the effort. Start small, with a covered dish dinner, and move on to bigger and better later.

Lightbulb

we have a party..............check it out @ www.rossfordfire.com just had it Saturday. Hi Rook !!!!! BAH HUMBUG !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Our Volunteer Firefighters Association hosts a Christmas Dance each year the first Saturday in December. This is a public event, and is our major fundraiser for the next item.

We also put together Christmas stockings containing candy and other goodies for local kids. The candy is donated by Nestle through a connection one of our members has and the rest of the cost is picked up by the Association. The stockings are distributed by Santa at City Hall (who just so happens to arrive on one of the engines). Anything that we don't give out at City Hall is taken to a couple of the local hospitals to distribute.

We also generally give out gift certificates (Wal-Mart, supermarkets, etc.) to families in town that need a little extra help. We rely on members and the public to provide the names, though anyone who had a major fire or other incident during the year is pretty much guaranteed to get something.

That's mostly it on the public side. On the personal side, a couple of members usually have Christmas parties and invite the whole department. And the duty crew may do something while they're on duty, but that depends on when the holiday falls and what everyone has planned with their own families.
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

Thread Information