Forum Member

Default Need help researching report topic

Hey i was wondering if you guys can link me to a major haz mat incident. Could be with anything from just a spill or even petrolium factory on fire. i can't find anything on the web at this point thanks.

Forum Member

I don't of any links at this time but Texas City had a real bad one a few years back maybe they have a link from there FD website.

Forum Member

Just found these hope they help
    www.hazmat-news.com/Articles/valujetindex.htm
    http://www.cfdonline.org/Fluvanna%20...s%20Hazmat.htm
    public.westgrovefirecompany.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Borden Ice Cream Plant explosion
    FIRST arriving firefighters at the Borden's Ice Cream plant at the edge of downtown Houston on December 11, 1983, barely escaped death or serious injury when the two-story plant blew apart from an anhydrous ammonia explosion. The explosion shattered a misconception that evolved over the years and changed procedures for handling ammonia releases.

It was early Sunday morning when the building engineer checked the refrigeration system that had been in a holding mode since production shut down Thursday. Only three of the 16 compressors in the basement were operating. The engineer proceeded to the other end of the basement when he heard a noise, turned quickly and saw a developing vapor cloud. He rushed up the rear stairs and closed the king valve on the liquid line, after which he escaped the building and notified the fire department.

When the first fire company arrived, the engineer offered to accompany the firefighters into the basement and point out a valve that may stop the leak. Firefighters loaned him some gear to wear and took a few minutes to instruct him in the use of self contained breathing apparatus. This delay probably saved their lives, because the building blew apart as they headed for an entrance. The brick veneer walls collapsed onto the street a short distance from the firefighters (pictured above).

A huge vapor cloud of ammonia poured from the building. Because it was Sunday, few businesses were open. The greatest threat was a downwind hotel which was advised to shut the fresh air intakes on the air conditioning system.

Firefighters set up heavy water streams to absorb much of the vapors. What vapors got through the defensive lines dissipated in time because ammonia vapors are lighter than air.

The Hazardous Materials Response Team arrived in the meantime. It was briefed by the engineer (left) before attempting to enter the basement to assess the damage. Both stairways were blocked with debris, and the team had to descend via an elevator shaft. The trip proved fruitless. Many of the ammonia pipes were broken, and the basement was filling with water from the broken sprinkler pipes. It was decided to flood the basement, and firefighters laid in more hose lines. The vapor cloud diminished as water rose in the basement and began to cover the broken ammonia lines. The incident was concluded after the basement was completely full of water.

Surprise

Several firefighters at the scene expressed astonishment that ammonia would burn. After all, ammonia carries a green, nonflammable gas label and rates only 1 (on a scale of 0 to 4 with four being the maximum flammability hazard) in the 704 classification of the National Fire Protection Assn. A notation in 704 states ammonia is classified 1 flammability because "ammonia is hard to burn."

The astonishment was not confined to the firefighters. An investigator of the incident, who had 45 years experience with refrigeration, registered surprise. "It is hard to find any of the old, experienced ammonia refrigeration men who believe it possible for ammonia to explode," the investigator wrote in his report.

Borden's incident changed procedures of the Hazardous Materials Response Team for handling ammonia leaks. No longer would they rush into a building to plug a leak or broken ammonia line. A building would be thoroughly vented first. One usually learns from a tragedy. This time, it did not cost a life to learn a valuable lesson on the explosive potential of anhydrous ammonia.
    http://www.maxmcrae.com/major_fires/bordens.htm
    Last edited by oldandwise071; 12-05-2005 at 09:14 AM.

Forum Member

Default Help

I am lookin for some one who is very knowlegeable and I was wondering if you could help me with some advice...I am a Junior firemen and I want to know all there is to know abuot firefighting.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Juniorfiremen62
    I am lookin for some one who is very knowlegeable and I was wondering if you could help me with some advice...I am a Junior firemen and I want to know all there is to know abuot firefighting.
    Try the Fire Explorer/Junior FF Forum. That is a great place to learn alot about firefighting. Also, do not be afraid to ask as many questions as possible. There are many great threads in here about bring new to explorers or jrs. and ask as many questions as you would like.

Try to be professional, courteous, and respectful with everyone and Good Luck.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Chemical plant fire near Detroit over the summer:

http://www.detnews.com/2005/metro/05...A01-276524.htm
    http://www.wxyz.com/wxyz/nw_local_ne...991892,00.html
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...al-plant_x.htm

I could hear the radio traffic at my ststion- very interesting.

Forum Member

Default Hazardous Materials Incident

Quote Originally Posted by thisischri5
    Hey i was wondering if you guys can link me to a major haz mat incident. Could be with anything from just a spill or even petrolium factory on fire. i can't find anything on the web at this point thanks.
    This happened in 1984 and open the eyes of reponders all over the world.

http://www.firehouse.com/training/ha...3_ammonia.html

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Methly isocyanate leak

In 1984 in bophal, india possibly one of the greatest industrial disasters of all time was the release of methyl isocyanate after water reaction, at a pesticide plant. plant was owned by Union Carbide Subsadary of Dow Chemicals. 3000-4000 killed many injured. health affects still linger today

MembersZone Subscriber

possibly january of 83

Forum Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_D...reet_explosion
    http://www.firehouse.com/worcester/list.html

If you can, try to get a hold of Buffalo Fire Commish. Mike Lombardo's article on this incident, it is excellent.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Thread Information