Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Backdraft simulator

Myself and a few others need to make a small scale (tabletop) backdraft simulator. Anyone have any links to a good instructional site or anyone know how to make one. Also, Is it possible to make a tabletop Flashover simulator? I would imagine not because of the temperature requirments. Any help would be greatly appreciated. -Greg-

This sounds more like a school science competition project rather than a medium to discuss firefighting tactics.

If you are not a firefighter, i urge you to reconsider your idea for a project because without even thinking about it, i can see how this is going to be dangerous. If you are a firefighter, take extreme caution and never utter the words "Hey! You'all wanna see something cool?".

Pat out
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PattyV
    This sounds more like a school science competition project rather than a medium to discuss firefighting tactics.

If you are not a firefighter, i urge you to reconsider your idea for a project because without even thinking about it, i can see how this is going to be dangerous. If you are a firefighter, take extreme caution and never utter the words "Hey! You'all wanna see something cool?".

Pat out
    I absolutely am a firefighter and I have a fine crew of experienced firefighters working on this with me. I know it is dangerous and thats why I need it to be as small scale as possible. Thanks for your concern. - FF Greg -

Okay cool, its just that we get a lot of teenagers on these forums that just want to ask firefighters how they can kill themeselves more easily.

Your best bet would be to make a minature house out of Gyprock.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Forum Member

This is definitely not a tabletop model but Kentucky's flashover trailers are built out of two conex boxes welded up to provide split level areas for burning and causing a flashover and a lower level to view what happens when the vents are opened and it flashes.
    I doubt you'd want to build one on a smaller scale and use it indoors.Mother wouldn't like that.No,she wouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrote2230
    Myself and a few others need to make a small scale (tabletop) backdraft simulator. Anyone have any links to a good instructional site or anyone know how to make one. Also, Is it possible to make a tabletop Flashover simulator? I would imagine not because of the temperature requirments. Any help would be greatly appreciated. -Greg-

Man that just sounds tooooo scary!!!!!!!!!
    "Training doesn't make you a good fireman, fighting fire makes you a good fireman"
    http://thedarksideof911.blogspot.com/
    FTM-PTB-EGH
    IACOJ

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson
    This is definitely not a tabletop model but Kentucky's flashover trailers are built out of two conex boxes welded up to provide split level areas for burning and causing a flashover and a lower level to view what happens when the vents are opened and it flashes.
    I doubt you'd want to build one on a smaller scale and use it indoors.Mother wouldn't like that.No,she wouldn't.

I was in a mobile one of those several years ago. They're kinda cool. They can provide some good training for people that are unfamiliar with what flashover indicators really look like.

By the way...

The definition of a table top flashover simulator is: "Point of ignition"!

The definition of a table top backdraft simulator is: "Mechanism of injury"!

Be SUPER careful...

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Temporarily/No Longer Active

I know you asked for a backdraft simulator...but the best I can do is....

This month's edition of Fire Engineering has an article on a flashover simulator.
    Last edited by smokeNphyer; 12-02-2005 at 07:36 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber ullrichk's Avatar

As a point of clarification, are we looking for a flashover simulator or a backdraft simulator?

I have seen a backdraft simulatior made out of Lexan that was about the size of a fish tank, but don't know anything about the construction details.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

EuroFirefighter.com PaulGRIMWOOD's Avatar

'Table-top' (for exterior use only) mini simulators to educate backdraft, flashover AND smoke explosion effects are constantly used by our instructors - Information available from '3D Firefighting' FPP IFSTA Publication - 3D FIREFIGHTING

MembersZone Subscriber

Paul-

After reading your '3D Firefighting' text and growing very bored with all the information presented with no scientifically proven or citable basis and then it not making very much sense after that, I'm going to go with the Fire Engineering article.
    Last edited by engine1321; 12-11-2005 at 10:29 PM.

EuroFirefighter.com PaulGRIMWOOD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by engine1321
    Paul-

After reading your '3D Firefighting' text and growing very bored with all the information presented with no scientifically proven or citable basis and then it not making very much sense after that, I'm going to go with the Fire Engineering article.
    Russell,
    Which text have you read on 3D Firefighting? We have always been very careful to cite viable scientific or empirical references wherever possible. Also - what Fire Engineering article are you referring?

Thread Information