Forum Member

Unhappy Texas Grass Fire Burns Firefighter!

Whether they're paid or volunteering, firefighters have a dangerous job, and that proved true for a Cameron Gardens volunteer firefighter who suffered severe burns fighting a massive grassfire.

Dwight Murphy remained in critical condition at Parkland Memorial Hospital's burn unit in Dallas Thursday, with burns covering the top half of his body, said Lt. David Duke with the Wichita County Sheriff's Office.

Murphy suffered second-degree burns to his hands, arms, chest, neck, face and head when he was fighting the grassfire that altogether burned about 2,000 acres around Upper Charlie and Lower Charlie roads Wednesday afternoon, Duke said.

He called the fire suspicious and said it was still under investigation Thursday.

Murphy wasn't wearing his coat and was attacking the fire from a position in which he became trapped by the flames, Duke said.

Duke said he met Murphy when Murphy was a jailer for the county before he moved on to another job.

"He was always talkative. He was a good employee," Duke said. "Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family."

Richard Harmon, Cameron Gardens' chief, said Murphy had been part of his department for about seven years.

Duke said this week brought an unwanted reminder of how dangerous grass fires can become for all firefighters, whether they battle blazes for a living or volunteer their time to help. It's important for them to be protected, he said.

About 50 firefighters from more than a dozen departments in Wichita, Clay and Archer counties converged on the scene and fought for hours to contain the flames as massive clouds of smoke rolled across the ground and towered toward the sky.

Forest Services sent helicopters to the scene, and the helicopters made about 16 trips to dump 2,000 gallons of water at a time upon the burning ground, Duke said.

This area is fortunate its stock tanks and lakes are still as full as they are because some other areas of the state probably would have had a more difficult time finding access to water sources deep enough to drop the buckets into, he said.

The fire broke out about noon Wednesday, and firefighters worked at the scene throughout the night.
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

Forum Member

Unhappy

God be with Firefighter Murphy and help speed his recovery.Amen!

Lets keep this hero in our prayers.
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

Forum Member

Dwight and his family are in our prayers too.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

Unhappy

I think that any volunteer ff who gets injured should be in some way compensated for any losses he suffered if at all. but thats me. lets all keep these brothers in our prayers and best wishes for a speedy recovery to both of them

Forum Member

Default ppe

i have been seeing pics of firefighters on the fire in tex and ok not wareing there ppe. i know it is hot but think of safety first...please be safe....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ncbrush6
    i have been seeing pics of firefighters on the fire in tex and ok not wareing there ppe. i know it is hot but think of safety first...please be safe....
    I was in Texas in 98 or 99, most of the departments I saw had no wildland PPE, many wore bunker pants and a helmet, some wore jeans and boots. Full bunkers on a large wildland fire is probably worse than shorts and flip flops. You can't really expect people to wear gear they don't have. When I was down there many of the firefighters didn't even have the basic wildland classes, so the IMT started sending some of the staged crews around to teach some basics to the locals. This is not meant in any way to put down those in TX, they only have the budget they have, and need to put it where they think it will do the most good.

Forum Member

well here also i saw two guys in shorts and sandles fighting fires.. here i am all nomexed up walking up a fire line when i come acroos them.. i asked who they where and they said we are with the vfd... hmm i was thinking made a note of them and walked back down to the ic and told them. well they said they dont need ppe or raidos or shelters due to they where just a vfd...i then went to the state ic and he walked them off the fire shakeing his head all the way..if vfds want or need ppe ask you state forestry fire folks and they can get you some..if not get a hold of me and i will find you some.. all ffs must where it and have it...ncbrush6@hotmail.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ncbrush6
    well here also i saw two guys in shorts and sandles fighting fires.. here i am all nomexed up walking up a fire line when i come acroos them.. i asked who they where and they said we are with the vfd... hmm i was thinking made a note of them and walked back down to the ic and told them. well they said they dont need ppe or raidos or shelters due to they where just a vfd...i then went to the state ic and he walked them off the fire shakeing his head all the way..if vfds want or need ppe ask you state forestry fire folks and they can get you some..if not get a hold of me and i will find you some.. all ffs must where it and have it...ncbrush6@hotmail.com
    Your right brush6....just because you are a vol. doesn't mean that you shouldn't follow the rules. And not having enough money is only a temporary excuse. With all the money being given out, PPE shouldn't be a problem. I know here in Texas, the Forestry Service has a wonderful grant program for the vol..

Bottom line....if you don't have full bunkers, you don't go interior. If you don't have wildland gear, don't fight those fires. Just my two cents. Take care and stay safe!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Thumbs up ppe

Thank god someone thinks as i do.. you know for all the vfds around here few have any wildland gear..but i have pointed out that the state can give you the gear and training . as for me i am a pvt engine contracter but also have a mou with the locals and state and feds

Thread Information