Forum Member

Question University Fire Departments?

University Fire Department's are they any?

Iam aware that some state and private university's run their own EMS.About fire departments?
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

Forum Member

I'm aware of a couple. Purdue University does...in fact, they have a firefighter job posting right now. I think Auburn does too...I know at least there are fire apparatus painted in Auburn school colors, though they could be a municipal department that's just showing its support for the school (I know the LAFD station across from USC has the USC Trojan on their company patch).

I also seem to remember hearing that University of Maryland and Oklahoma State both had fire departments staffed at least partially by students in their Fire Engineering programs.
    Chris Gaylord
    Emergency Planner / Fire Captain, UC Santa Cruz FD

Forum Member

I've heard of this in my state, The students are a part of it, but from what I've been told from "members" what they think is the real deal is really a joke, they mostly are assigned to get dorms cleared out in case of an incident, no gear or professional fire service training, just a extra person to try and keep things organized.They have a very basic comunication system setup using call boxes to talk with the fire station, this way further intel is given before arriving. I'm not fully aware of what training they require and what they are classified as, but I'll try and get some more details.

Forum Member

St. Michael's College in Colchester, VT (a suburb of Burlington) has a student staffed fire department. In fact, they were an intergrated battelion of my former department in VT. They had thier own internal administrative structure but fell within our command structure, with thier chief (who was the director of security for the college) being a Battelion Chief in our organizational chart. They ran on all of our runs, and had first in responsibility for not only the 1500 student college campus, but also the surrounding area which included several large hotels, a hospital, a military facility and several 20 plus unit apartment buildings, as well tasked as our primary mutual aid apparatus to the city of Winooski, Essex Junction and South Burlington. Average membership was about 20, depending on the year.

They are currently running an engine (2000 E-1 purchased by the college and alumni) and a 1996 Crew Cab Hose/utility truck. They were running the same number of runs per year as us, which was about 600. The college also runs an ALS student-staffed ambulance which served as the primary EMS transport unit for 4 towns and backup for several more.

Thier funding comes partially from the college (station expenses, station maintance, insurance, etc) and our department. We provided much of the equipment on the trucks, radios, turnout gear and such. We also paid for all fuel, most vehicle maintance and repair and training. They were required to go through all of our basic training and also attended all of our weekly training. They did do training on thier own which supplemented our department training program or trained them on specifics to thier first due area. It was very much a win-win situation for us as they provided a nice source of daytime staffing and on most nights would easily turnout full crews on both trucks. At one point we calculated the savings to our department at about 40,000 per year, so it was a nice arrangement financailly as well. We have had this arrangement with them since I beleive the early 80's, and in general it has worked out well. There has been some friction and difficulties at times, especially when they got a little cocky, but strong mamangement on our part has kept that in check.

At one time in VT (back in the early 80's) there were 4 college fire departments: Lyndon State (where I got my start), Goddard, Norwich and St. Micheal's. Lyndon's folded from financial problems, Goddard College closed, and Norwich rolled a truck and killed 2 student firefighters back in the late 80's (I beleive), which ended thier program. Lyndon State also ran 2 ambulances, which served as primary for 9 small towns and a huge chunk of land until from 1972 to about 1996, when it was taken over by the local community.

The University of Vermont in Burlington also runs 2 ambulances, and until recently was the primary for the city of South Burlington. They still run backup to SB and Burlington I beleive, as well as having a small first due territory.

I also beleive SUNY-Albany (State University of NY) has a student run EMS service for thier 10,000 plus campus as well.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator
    At one time in VT (back in the early 80's) there were 4 college fire departments: Lyndon State (where I got my start), Goddard, Norwich and St. Micheal's. Lyndon's folded from financial problems, Goddard College closed, and Norwich rolled a truck and killed 2 student firefighters back in the late 80's (I beleive), which ended thier program. Lyndon State also ran 2 ambulances, which served as primary for 9 small towns and a huge chunk of land until from 1972 to about 1996, when it was taken over by the local community.
    Norwich rolled a truck company, when the members were DRUNK.

The University of Vermont in Burlington also runs 2 ambulances, and until recently was the primary for the city of South Burlington. They still run backup to SB and Burlington I beleive, as well as having a small first due territory.
    UVM runs "1" ambulacne 24/7, the second is only in service when the first is out of service. South Burlington runs with the same setup, 1 on, and 1 reserve. I believe UVM's only first due is the college now also.

I believe Johnson College here in VT also has an EMS / First Response (maybe transport) service that's based on the college campus. One of the Montpelier part timers is going to school there and is running FR, not sure about transport.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

I'm at Texas A&M University in College Station. We're one of the only colleges that has a 911 EMS service completely staffed by students, that offers ALS capabilities 24/7. We use student dispatchers and respond to all 911 calls on campus. We typically run one MICU ambulance and a supervisor squad car. We own a second ambulance but typically only have both inservice for major events such as football games or when we get a request to post an ambulance at an event. We also have a bike team for special events. During the workweek, the population on campus is approximately 80,000.

Forum Member

The University of Alaska, Fairbanks sort of has a fire dept of its own. They have a program specifically for students at one of their stations, but their service area also includes some of the surrounding area.

The service academies (with the exception of Kings Point I think) all have their own departments, since they are located on military bases.

Forum Member

In California, UC Davis and UC Santa Cruz have full-time professional fire departments, augmented by student volunteers. I've heard of a few retired FFs looking to get hired on since it gets their kids free/reduced tuition. I think there's another private college down in Southern California (I think it's Pepperdine) that has a volunteer department with 1 or 2 paid staff positions.

Forum Member

343 ..

When I left 3 years ago UVM had SB (which obviously they don't cover anymore) and Hinesburg as well as the interstate from Richmond to the Winnoski River ... St. Mike's had (and still has) Winooski, the Rt. 15 Corrider of Colchester and Williston as first due.
    I have a feeling UVM still has Hinesburg as first due and do you know if they still cover the chunk of interstate from Richmond to SB line as primary?

Ya ... it was a big event when Norwich rolled thier truck. I was really surprised about the driver being drunk because they ran an extremly tight ship. In fact, it was tighter than most departments. And the college really supported thier operation.

Forum Member

Notre Dame has their own fire dept. I believe they are 24/48 shifts. They have an engine and a mini-pumper/rescue unit.

Forum Member

I believe UConn has their own fire dept also, im sure someone out their with more info will chime in though
    Jimmy

MembersZone Subscriber

Purdue University does
    Only makes sense...Boilermakers and Firemen.

the 4-1-4

Only makes sense...Boilermakers and Firemen.

Now you only need to throw an Irish car bomb in the mix.

Forum Member

here is the link to Notre Dame Fire Department

http://www.nd.edu/~ndfd/index.shtml

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Auburn has one.....

I went to a class recently with a guy from Auburn. Seems like a pretty good program they have going down there. Wish I had gone that way. Here is a link to their dept info here at firehouse.com

http://cms.firehouse.com/dept/AuburnAL

Forum Member

At Franklin Pierce College, Rindge, New Hampshire we have our own fire department. We are entirely student-staffed,and are on duty 24 hours while school is in session. We are under the command of the town, yet we respond to all on-campus fire and some EMS-related calls. We are all enrolled in fire 1 classes and continually train. We do have our own engine, a 1969 Chevy pumper with a 500 gallon tank, its an oldie, but it gets the job done so far. Not many have heard about us, but we're proud of what we do. We also have our own, New-Hampshire State Certified EMS agency on-campus. They do not have an ambulance, but have all the necessary epuiptment in bags and will call for an outside ambulance when needed. Both departments continually train and take lessons to better ourselves and our departments.

The link if you'd like any more information:
    http://eraven.fpc.edu/cst/fpcfd/index.htm

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by theswimmer
    I believe UConn has their own fire dept also, im sure someone out their with more info will chime in though
    Jimmy
    UConn indeed has their own department but it is staffed by professional full time IAFF and not students.

I was a part of a student program in Auburn, MA that was unnofficially linked to the FPE dept. at WPI. That however has died due to a number of factors and the whole town will soon be full staffed full time anyway.

It was awesome while I was there though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator
    I also beleive SUNY-Albany (State University of NY) has a student run EMS service for thier 10,000 plus campus as well.
    You are correct, SUNY Albany has Five Quad Volunteer Ambulance.

--> http://www.fivequad.org

Also, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) across the river in Troy has a volunteer ambulance service as well

--> http://ambulance.union.rpi.edu/

Both are very well respected in the area, and many of the students are also members at local vollies.

Forum Member

Heres Binghamton University's Ambulance, They also have a PD the town of Vestal fire covers them

http://www.harpursferry.org/
    Firefighter for Vestal 32-2

American Red Cross Volunteer

Forum Member

Check out www.ncemsf.org for the National Collegiate EMS Foundation. It lists every school in the country that has an EMS squad. Several of those also have or are a part of fire departments.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think Auburn does too
    Auburn's program isn't really a university fire department. They have a live-in program where you're trained and paid a stipend. I can't think of a better way to get into the fire service - you come out with a degree, all your certs, and experience to boot.

Here's a link to information on the program.

Thread Information