FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Default Firefighter Badly Injured After Falling From Truck

December 2, 2005 --11:04 pm

Firefighter Badly Injured After Falling From Truck Ladder 13 Was En Route To Fire (CBS) NEW YORK Emergency crews worked feverishly on a firefighter from Ladder 13 who lay helpless on 85th Street and Lexington Ave after falling from his truck just yards away from their firehouse on Friday night.The ladder company was responding to a fire at a bagel shop on 86th and York. The truck was turning off 85th onto Lexington when witnesses say the firefighter fell from the rear right side of the truck's cabin onto the street."Everybody got out of the truck," witness Jose Aguirre said. "Some of them, they had shorts on and short-sleeve shirts, and they just went to help him out."As soon as they made the turn, the firefighter just fell off the truck. His door may have been open and he couldn't hold on to anything.The firefighter, who witnesses say appeared unconscious, was rushed to the Cornell Trauma Center, where he is listed in critical condition. However, FDNY officials did say the firefighter opened his eyes at the hospital. Meanwhile, investigators inspected the fire truck’s door to figure out what went wrong.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

My thoughts are with the injured firefighter, his family and the department.

Hope he makes a speedy and full recovery!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

My thoughts and prayers are with the Firefighter, his family and his firehouse family.

Please keep us posted Ray.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

December 3, 2005 -- Joseph Moore, 26, of Ladder Co. 13 was in critical but stable condition late last night with a fractured skull at the New York- Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center, fire officals said. "He's breathing on his own. The next 24 hours are critical," said an FDNY spokesman at the hospital. The company was using an older "spare truck" at the time because their regular truck was being repaired, the spokesman said. The truck was built in 1988. Using an old truck while the newer rig is in the shop "is a standard thing," another spokesman said. The older model does not have a fully enclosed cab and the rear area is not covered by a roof. A source said the model — a Mack Tower Ladder — had been fazed out because firefighters had fallen off them previously. "That's one of the reasons they got rid of the old tower ladders because guys were always falling out of them," the source said. Moore had gone about a half block from his firehouse on East 85th Street between Lexington and Third avenues, when he fell during a hairpin turn south onto Lexington Avenue.
    The unmarried three-year veteran and the crew mates on his truck had been heading to a fire at a nearby bagel shop at 86th Street and York Avenue, officials said. "I saw it come out of the station. All of sudden I saw the firefighter on the floor. The lights were on. They made a sharp turn," said Jose Aguirre, 31, worker at a restaurant on the corner of 85th and Lexington.
    "At the beginning I thought someone had been hit by a car, but when I paid more attention to it there was a firefighter on the floor," Aguirre continued. The truck then screeched to a halt and Moore's fellow firefighters rushed to his motionless body. "He was lying very still. Everyone got off the truck and went to his help," Aguirre said. The Rockaway Park native opened his eyes and was alert early this morning, another official said.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

MembersZone Subscriber

My thoughts and prayers are with firefighter Joseph Moore!!!
    You need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Thanks for the update, Ray!

My thoughts and prayers will be with Joseph, the Moore family and his fellow firefighters today.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

We'll be keeping Brother Moore in our thoughts/prayers...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Default NY Times

Firefighter Injured in Accident
    By JENNIFER 8. LEE and JANON FISHER
    A 26-year-old firefighter suffered serious head injuries last night after he fell out of a fire truck as it made a turn on its way to a fire on the Upper East Side shortly before 9 p.m., the police said.

The police said that a faulty latch caused the door to swing open while the firefighter was standing inside putting on his jacket.

The firefighter, whom a Fire Department official identified as Joseph Moore, of Belle Harbor, Queens, was taken to NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell hospital, where he was in critical but stable condition last night, the police said. A fire department spokesman said that he had suffered a skull fracture and was breathing on his own but could not talk.

The truck was an older model, from 1988, the police said. A fire department spokesman said the truck was a spare one that had replaced a newer truck that was under repair.

"The truck made a sharp turn and all of a sudden I saw a firefighter on the floor," said Jose Aguirre, 31, an employee at Chirping Chicken. Mr. Aguirre said the firefighter fell in the crosswalk on Lexington Avenue, near 85th Street. "He wasn't moving at all."

Firefighter Moore is a member of Engine 22, Ladder 13, at 159 East 85th Street. The firehouse lost six firefighters on Sept. 11, 2001, according to officials.

The fire, at Bagel Bob's at 86th Street and York Avenue, was extinguished at 9:19 p.m..

MembersZone Subscriber

Any news on how FF Moore is doing?

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Default Fall-off Firefighter Can't Speak

FALL-OFF FIREFIGHTER CAN'T SPEAK
    By C. J. SULLIVAN and HASANI GITTENS

JOSEPH MOORE
    "Critical 48 hours."

December 5, 2005 -- The firefighter who fractured his skull in a fall from his rig was more responsive but remained in critical condition yesterday, officials said.

Joseph Moore, 26, was hurt Friday after tumbling from his Ladder Co. 13 truck on a fire call to the Upper East Side.

"He's in and out of consciousness — he's still in that critical 48-hour period," said an FDNY spokesman. "He's presently listed as critical but stable, and he does have voice recognition."

Sources said Moore was nodding slightly when asked questions but wasn't speaking. It had been alleged the young firefighter's near-fatal fall was the result of a loose door on the side of the rig, but fire officials said yesterday that they were still investigating.

After the faulty rig — a 1988 Mack Tower Ladder that was replacing another truck being serviced — was taken out of commission, the next replacement, a 1991 Seagrave Straight Ladder, had a technical problem of its own.

The latest truck's ladder was stuck in the up position for more than an hour Saturday night as firefighters tried to respond to an alarm.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Forum Member

My prayers are with the injured FF....

If this has been a previous problem with this type of apparatus, do they have seat belts? If not, what about a retrofit? In our dept. we mandate our members are buckled in when the trucks are moving - no exceptions. It might slow response 30-45 seconds, but it hasn't resulted in any differences in fire outcomes in the many years we've been doing it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank God he recognizes voices. That sounds like a really good sign. He's young, too, so I think that would definitely be in his favor. I'll continue to keep him in my prayers.

Thread Information