MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy Firefighter Hiring Process???

I live in Missouri and i'm trying to get on KCFD, they had an oral board with video cameras and i was thrown off by this and failed out of the rest of the application process. I scored excellent on my firefighter exam, but i need some help on the oral board process any advice? I know a couple of the scenerios that they used. if that might help. I've been a Volunteer for 9 years now, and i'm trying to get on a paid department. I'm also military and a veteran

Thanks

Zac

Forum Member

we do the the same thing it's called a b-pad test ...what where the scenerios

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy Scenerios

One had to do with, if you roll up on a 18 wheeler that has wrecked, and it was a hazmat , what do you do. A Volunteer Firefighter showing up on the scene drunk wanting to help. there's two more, but i can't remember the last one. About a firefighter that eats and then sneaks into the kitchen later and eats all the desert, and doesn't help with the normal chores around the fire station. I don't remember the last one, it will come to me tonight while i'm at work.

Zac

Forum Member

Smile

C-busfire, what is the best route to get onto the CFD? I sold my business last year and am preparing myself for a life as a firefighter. I will be enrolled in Columbus State's EMS/Fire science program in march. The program will allow me to fulfill the basic requirements for Emt basic and firefighter I & II. Does this sound like a good plan? Should I shoot for Paramedic certification?
    I know the department plans on testing this spring. Although I have no experience in ems or firefighting right now, should I take the test anyways?
    Lastly, I have a couple dings on my driving record (3 tickets 2-3 yrs ago, 1 ticket 8 yrs ago). Plus I recieved a citation for disorderly conduct in another state in '02. I have paid all my fines and have since married and am trying to start a family. Will this record completely eliminate my hopes of becoming a firefighter and/or paramedic?
    I am prepared to do whatever it takes. Right now I'm just trying to find out what the best steps to take are, and what order to take them in. Any tips? I appreciate everyones posts, this forum is a wealth of wonderful information.
    Thank you everyone!

Forum Member

Default hey

hey golden, how old are you? i am 18 and was thinking about applying to either jjc or college of dupage to pursue a fire scince degree, but so many poeple told me that is a waste of time..i am considering taking the test also, but i hope its after may 10, or i will not be 19 yet..i think u are still signed on, so reply if you like..c ya

Assistant Chief

Quote Originally Posted by FireMav
    I live in Missouri and i'm trying to get on KCFD, they had an oral board with video cameras and i was thrown off by this and failed out of the rest of the application process. I scored excellent on my firefighter exam, but i need some help on the oral board process any advice? I know a couple of the scenerios that they used. if that might help. I've been a Volunteer for 9 years now, and i'm trying to get on a paid department. I'm also military and a veteran

Thanks

Zac
    I just had my second interview with a bigger city FD here in Wisconsin and am still waiting to hear results. I'm number one on the list for another department I interviewed for. Any luck I've had interviewing comes from some of the tips I learned from Cpt. Bob. Check out www.eatstress.com for some good advice. I'm also a veteran and have a lot of years POC and volunteer, certs, degrees, etc...none of it means squat unless you can nail the oral boards.

Good luck!

Brad
    Brad A. Ingersoll
    Assistant Chief
    Maple Bluff Fire Department
    Blooming Grove, Burke, Maple Bluff EMS

Badgerland FOOLS
    EGH-PTB-FTM

Forum Member

Pistolpete, I'm 29. An old toad compared to you! I don't know how much a fire science degree will help, but I figure it can't hurt. It is certainly an extremely competetive process and I'm sure any credentials we can present will be helpful. If anyone has ideas on other ways to gain credentials I would love to hear them.
    As an old toad, my advice to you, pete (and everyone else), is take the time to prepare yourself for whatever career you choose to pursue. This site is a great resource for getting ideas on what you need to be successful.

Forum Member

Talking hey golden

thanks for a good, solid, old time lecture. Naw for real tho thanks for the reply, i need all the help i can get seeing how new i am to this. Good luck by the way.

Forum Member

Cool

golden11- your driving record should be fine i think as long as you have 6 or less points you'll be o.k ...i would check on the internet with columbus civil service. I don't have the web page and my lap top is way to slow right now so just google it....plus there you can sign up for a job interest form so that way they will notifiy you when they are taking app's for fire.If you want to get into the fire service i wish you best best of luck. Your best bet is not to worry about getting your firefighter I and II right now; you could get that done in as little as 6 weeks. If you want to be a firefighter go get your P-card (Paramedic) that way you can take test for other cities that other wise you would not even be able to take the test for. Your d.c. ticket should not be too big of a problem, but if you make it to the oral board be ready that there going to bring it up. I had one a few years back and i made it. Good luck and get your p card first. The test in the spring there should be around 5000 people taking it , so once again good luck

Forum Member

Fire science degrees aren't worth anything in helping you get on. Some small departments maybe but I got on FDNY and my degrees didn't mean ****.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Thanks fellas! I just want to be clear though.... I don't need my firefighter I & II before taking the exam? Also, what materials did you study from?

MembersZone Subscriber

study from IFSAT books you can get they from www.fireboks.com
    www.wildlandfire.com
    Up To Date Wildland Fire Information

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by golden11
    Thanks fellas! I just want to be clear though.... I don't need my firefighter I & II before taking the exam? Also, what materials did you study from?
    forget IFSTA if you dont need FF1 and 2 to get on the dept, it's going to be an entry level exam that will probably cover reading comprehension, basic math, mechanical apptitude, oral comprehension, judgment and reasoning, and map reading skills. Go onto amazon.com and search for firefighter exam under books, you'll find a ton of books to choose from, my favorite was don mcnea's encyclopedia of firefighting exams, norman hall's firefighter exam preperation book was good also.

Thread Information