MembersZone Subscriber

Default Largest firehouse in the world???

This has got to be the largest firehouse in the world. I counted 14 bays, and there double drive through so that would mean 28 trucks can be housed here. It also has a museum, 300 seat hall, and class rooms.

Here is the link; http://www.1strespondernews.com/webp...5-76263b0f400d

-- SORRY FOLKS HAD TO REMOVE PHOTO. CANNOT POST PHOTOS FROM OTHER COMMERCIAL WEB SITES WITHOUT PERMISSION

Here's a link to a view of the station
    http://liquidbluedesigns.com/Gallery..._0_1.sized.gif

--
    Last edited by WebTeam; 12-03-2005 at 04:38 PM.
    You need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape.

Forum Member

Question

Nice house .... I wonder how long it took to shingle the roof ?

PEI Pat

Forum Member

Why would a department need so many apaparatus at one station? They might have chiefs vehicle, grass truck, 2-3 pumpers, tanker, ladder, heavy rescue. I am still not anywere near 14. It must cost a fortune to heat thoes bays in the winter with all that glass. how many volunteers do they have?

Forum Member

I believe the largest FH in the world is somewhere in South America I want to say- I cant remember the country right now. I have seem pictures of the place, and wow. It is a working station on the first 1 or 2 floors, and at least 6 or more floors above of the FD's HQ, as well as what I have been told are apartments for FF's and their families. The place is enormous, and looks almost like an old medieval castle.

I just cant remember which city in which country right now. I can see a picture of the place in my head, though......
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ledebuhr1
    Why would a department need so many apaparatus at one station? They might have chiefs vehicle, grass truck, 2-3 pumpers, tanker, ladder, heavy rescue. I am still not anywere near 14. It must cost a fortune to heat thoes bays in the winter with all that glass. how many volunteers do they have?

If you look closely (its hard to see) the four or five bays at the end apear to be windows and the entrance. you can just make out the doors and there is a grass lawn in front of them. i gotta go north and see this house, it isint to far north of here.

here is a pic of thier house and the apparatus
    http://www.vhc27.com/gallery.html
    second page under the apparatus section pic #18
    Last edited by tbonetrexler; 12-03-2005 at 07:59 PM.

Forum Member

with the size of this station, I am wondering if it is a fire hall/Community center. Its hard to believe the FD would reall need all that space.

Forum Member

That station is HUGE!!!! Why in god's name do you need a station that big with that many trucks. If you have that many trucks in one station wouldn't it be better for response times to have more than 1 station.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

firefighter7160
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default thats not big

did the research. they house about 15 units there. plus some of them are state haz-mat vehicals. they have a hall for partys(community center), and bingo our something like that. it makes up the large part of the station. ill give it to them though, they got some nice trucks and the station is pretty sweet.

but what id like to know is how many runs they make. my station is over 50 years old. and in a truck that is 10 years old. we only have one Engine Co. we run close to 1500 runs a year. Send some of that money are way...

and F W D buff your right 1 of the largest stations in the world is in south america, but the largest is in china or japan.. they have a crew of about 50 on duty at one time, with about 15 companys that are maned....

Forum Member

Correct. The TWO largest firehouses in the world are both located in either China or Russia (#1 and #2) I just don't remember the order or the links I saw them in. Maybe that has changed...? I believe S. America now pulls up as 3rd. As I recall, the Chinese had the biggest. It seems it was also next to a river and had a marine company as well ...two boats or something like that ....anybody ?

PEI Pat

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Do What?..............

I always thought the biggest Firehouse in the world was here ( www.gdvfd18.com ) at least it seems like it when we are cleaning it.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

I only counted 8 vehicles in their photos on the website. Looked like 1 engine, 2 rescue engines, a quint/ladder, 2 brush vehicles, and 2 ambulances.

But, if they house state vehicles...that could bring that number up.

Also on their website, if you click on the hall rental tab...it will show you pictures of their banquet hall which is huge, and very elegant...also includes a bar and kitchen facilities. I'm sure that takes up a great deal of the square footage.

At any rate...it is definately a hell of a station!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

And they said our houses on Long Island were too big.....
    MFD Truck 2
    The Workhorse Company

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Where are you guys getting these numbers from?? Maybe I'm just blind or majorly confused LOL but this is what I noticed under one of the pictures:

The new Churchtown Road sub-station will house three apparatus, and feature bunk rooms and offices.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile Coupla Points.........

Before a big battle breaks out over Firehouse size, STOP AND THINK. Just because a building is big, it is not necessarily wasteful. In the case of the station that caused this thread to be started, There are several points to consider. The Banquet Hall and Bar - This is a major income producing business venture, not a recreation thing for the members. There are VFDs that get a major portion of their income from Hall Rentals, including mine. The size of the apparatus bays has been mentioned. ADEQUATE ROOM for equipment is a vital necessity also. I consider a cramped station where there is only a foot or two between the rigs, to be a safety issue. Plan for space that allows SAFE operation of the equipment. I don't believe that all the "Doors" shown on the front view are really doors. False doors are a current fad in building design in some areas. A resturant in my part of the world has three "doors" on one wall that are strictly for looks, they are not doors at all, only decoration.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Some of those bays could be maintainace and wash bays too, perhaps the staff gets to park indoors as well. Looks lieka nice house.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Forum Member

Geez,nothing would be stacked up behind anything else.Each rig would have its own door to come out from.
    We just got our new station built and it uses geothermal heating and cooling that is designed to save us money even heating a larger area than the old station it replaces.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

"Largest firehouse in the world"...we are in the worlds tallest firehouse. There is 62 stories above us. Does that count.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member

Yeah, that's right, too. You guys don't have a backyard anymore over there either. I'd have to say 60 stories is pretty high for a house. Imagine havin to shine the poles !! Does 40/35 house have a basement still ? All the best.

Forum Member

As my fellow LI brother mglax13 said, maybe now people will get off our *****es about Long Island having such big firehouses...no doubt we got some big ones but damn, that place even beats us!!! BTW, I looked at the picture quick...counted only 11 bays plus the one 2nd from left that appears to be a doorway with the same style garage door above it. Even so, 12 bays particularly double bays is nothing to shake a stick at...

Where exactly is this station??? I didn't really look too far but my guess is it's in Delaware...there is a Volunteer Hose Co. in Middletown & from what I have heard there are 3 stations in New Castle Cty. (the upper part of the state just below NJ) that are being issued haz-mat response vehicles (I believe tractor drawn) from the state as part of a regional response team approach.

Stay Safe....

MembersZone Subscriber

"Largest firehouse in the world"...we are in the worlds tallest firehouse. There is 62 stories above us. Does that count.
    LOL @ E40FDNYL35....No, but it might be the heaviest!!!!
    You need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape.

Forum Member

Reminds me of the Smithtown, NY firehouse which is 1 block over from me. I just moved here and went by one day. They had a lot, i just saw 2 volunteers outside just now, asked them about it, they have 10 bays they said and driving by each bay has something. Either an engine/ladder/ambulance or a chiefs car. Each one has something. It's pretty cool, i love when the sirens go off, i'll start identifying which type of apparatus it is just by the sounds of the sirens. Wether its a fire truck or a chiefs car or an ambulance, the people i work with think im nuts

Last edited by Adam07003; 12-05-2005 at 01:11 PM.
    Adam, EMT-B

Forum Member

For me one of the most impressive was Baltimore's Steadman St Station ...........3 stories and sat on corner.......has 2 places for appratri departure ! It was awesome when they would "dump" the joint !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

After posting, I read the article on the other site..turns out it was Middletown, Delaware..they built that new station, a substation AND got a new rescue pupmper all for 1.5 million!!! Damn, that's some competitive bidding right there!!!! Kudos to the brothers at Middletown...seems they got a lot of bang for their buck...and a community center as part of the firehouse...smart move boys, keep the taxpayers happy & they (hopefully) will support you in your endeavors.

Stay Safe....

Thread Information