Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Talking Army FF duty stations?

My husband, Greg, is leaving for basic in January and then AIT right after. He is going in the Army and will be in FF training at GoodfellowsAFB in TX. Im just wondering if someone can give me an idea of where he could get stationed? I know the Army has very few FF so I figure it probably lowers the amount of options he will have in stations.
    Any help would be great! Thank you
    Kristina

Forum Member

Talking army FF

Your husband will probibly go to IRAQ, AFghan. or somewhere else remote as an attachement to an aviation unit or an engineer battalion.

I am not trying to scare you, but having served in the Army myself, most if not all of the bases have their own firefighters employed by the Federal Government. Army firefighters are usually attached with engineer companies to be in the field. Another possibility is to be at an airfield, Hunter in Georgia, Fort Hood, etc. but again, many of these bases have career firefighters that work for the federal government.

One good thing is when your husband gets out he will be able to work for the Federal Government over any other applicant.

Post army firefighter assignments.

kristina
    some of the places in the states that he can get stationed at are ft hood tx, ft carson co, ft lewis wa, ft rucker al, ft drum ny, there's one in georgia he can get stationed at but i'm not sure the name and i think that's about it. i was a army firefighter from 96 and 00 and i can tell you the best duty assignment by far is between ft lewis wa and ft carson co.

MembersZone Subscriber

Alaska and Leonard Wood, MO also. If he goes to Iraq or 'stan, he probably will not be doing firefighting since that is all contracted now. Just because you have one MOS, doesn't mean they won't tag you for something else.

Pretty sure you can still get Scofield Barracks, Hawaii although that comes with about 10-20 weeks a year on the Big Island during PTA exercises.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

oh yeah ft wainwright and ft greeley alaska glad i was never stationed up there. ft leonard wood was bad enough during basic glad i didn't get stationed there either.

Forum Member

See told you would get a better reply here and much nicer people.

MembersZone Subscriber

Whats the matter army dont like Ft Dum

Forum Member

Thumbs up army

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help! There is so little out there about his MOS that the only way I find out anything is by asking those who are actually doing it....
    I REALLY hope he dosent get Alaska.. I would die! We live in Michigan and I cant hardly stand it. I figured he probably would be deployed at some point and attatched to a unit. Its a huge change for us but we are ready and waiting!
    Thank you again for all the help and advice, Take care!
    Kristina

Forum Member

Default Dont knock AK

I was in for 9 years. Spent time at Fort Rucker which is a nice area but not much of economy. Was also stationed at Goodfellow as an instructor. But by far Alaska was the best experience. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainS
    Whats the matter army dont like Ft Dum
    heck no to damn cold just like alaska almost. i'd much rather be back in colorado where it's some what enjoyable when it snows.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Army FF

From what I have been told you can find Active Duty Firefighters here: Ft Rucker, AL; Ft Greeley, AK; Ft Wainwright, AK; Ft Campbell, KY (they deactivated the unit in 2000, but recently reactivated it this year). There maybe more, but those are ones I know of.

Where are you at in Michigan? My wife, 2 y/o son and I are in Michigan and I work for the Army.

Hope this helps you out.

Here's some info on Fort Hood, it's a GREAT place as far as getting real world experience. http://www.fhfdffa.org
    COFire
    PROTECTING THOSE WHO DEFEND AMERICA ============================== =====

Forum Member

Heres Carson's site as well.... good calls, super area and great people.

www.carson.army.mil/fire

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey there, I'm currently an active duty army ff and I can tell you as of right now drum, leonard wood, campbell, lewis, and maybe carson are about the only places we can go. I'm at wainwright and we are no longer replacing soldiers as their leaving, well they'll be replaced with civilians anyways. But it looks like all ff's are being organized into deployable units at the above places. All Fire dept. jobs at installations are going DOD civilian. The good side to this though is your husband has a good chance of getting one of these jobs when he gets out. The possible duty stations does change quite often so there is no garuntee that they will be the same next year. Hope this helps, let me know if ya got any other questions.

MembersZone Subscriber fireboss156's Avatar

I was at Ft. Wainwright from 2001 to 2004, and I know that Ft. Drum, Ft. Carson, Ft. Sill, Ft. Hood, and here at Hunter AAF in GA are about the only stateside places he can go and still be a firefighter. Ft. Drum has 21M's there, but they don't get to do much firefighting.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by COFire
    Here's some info on Fort Hood, it's a GREAT place as far as getting real world experience. http://www.fhfdffa.org

I have a few friends working there, nice place.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kristmatt
    My husband, Greg, is leaving for basic in January and then AIT right after. He is going in the Army and will be in FF training at GoodfellowsAFB in TX. Im just wondering if someone can give me an idea of where he could get stationed? I know the Army has very few FF so I figure it probably lowers the amount of options he will have in stations.
    Any help would be great! Thank you
    Kristina
    Your husband will most likely be stationed at one of the new deployable firefighting units, most are attatached to eng. units. Ft. campbell, ft lewis, ft polk all have these new units, drum and leonard wood have had them. the chances are slim that he will be going to rucker which is ideal for army ff, or any of the bases in alaska, this is because they need numbers for these deployable units. I dont know about lewis but here at polk and at campbell we work in the fire station with the civilans. i know for a fact that campbell is getting many more soliders stationed there, here at polk we are over with man power and we are a small detactment, we probally wont be getting many more here if any. If anybody is wondering polk might suck but we get at least one fire a month sometimes more, we are the only jaws crew in vernon parish so we go to any wreck that needs the jaws, for as small of a pop. here we stay busy.

Forum Member

I know hood and carson have ff but it is hard to get there, i have heard of many ff that never do their job at their duty station. and if they are not doing ff at their station then either the ncos are having a hard time getting on the floor or they just are not allowed by the unit they are attactched to. At polk the ncos work very hard here to get in the firehouse, it took about a month to start working on the floor, plus are unit wanted us out they really worked with us to get us to the fire station. Tell your husband that army ff are jacks of all trades and he may be disappointed with what he is doing.

Thread Information