Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MembersZone Subscriber

$460,000 fully equipped with all the features that came with it realy isnt that bad! 25 ft. night scan light tower (9000w), 2000gpm hale pump, more side mounted lights, whelen full led light package, scott scba's w/ extra bottles, fold-a-tank, tons of hand tools, saws etc, thru the tank ladder and hard suction storage, 1000 gallon tank, 50 gal. b foam cell, side mounted led tank level gauge ( on each side of the cab) bumper mounted trash line, federal q2b siren (a must have) federal electronic q siren, gas meters, thermal imaging camera, and even a cd player! oh and almost forgot the bell! this peice is loaded and id say it was worth the price u have to see it to believe it! www.oldsaybrookfire.com click on apparatus (351) or click on pictures and under category click on new engine!
    Last edited by osfd100; 12-06-2005 at 11:59 AM.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Whenever you want to slide Brush 88 or Rescue 8 my way just let me know, I'll clean up the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by STATION2
    The HFD rigs mentioned have been holding up well. They are assigned to some companies that make upwards of 4000 runs a year, so after a year we'll see for sure. Other than that, the pumpers are layed out well and are well liked by the crews.

On the topic of the aerials, we are getting one of the 1st 2 to be recieved. It will be replacing a '00 E-One 100' so we'll see how it goes. The E-One has taken a beating, held up well and keeps coming back for more so it will be a hard act to follow. Especially in garden apartment complexes with limited space. But, we are trying to be opened minded to the new Ferrara rig.

Hey JMitchell, nice signature line. Where have I seen that before?
    Could this be??? THE "Larry"?

That is because it is the best licence plate frame in the City of Houston. HaHa. Missed you at the 3 alarm Saturday.
    Last edited by jmitchell; 12-06-2005 at 12:18 PM.
    "Training doesn't make you a good fireman, fighting fire makes you a good fireman"
    http://thedarksideof911.blogspot.com/
    FTM-PTB-EGH
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

We made an incident involving something similar. 8000 gallon gasoline tanker rollover with fire in the intersection of FM 1092 and Highway 6 in Missouri City about 8 or 9 years ago. After the whole East end of the county was there plus HFD Haz Mat, the incident went out not because of foam application but from shere lack of oxygen from all the fire fighters on scene and diesel engines running. LOL. Seriously though, HFD did a review of the incident and calculated how much AFFF would have been needed to extinguish the fire. This was inclusive of all product, in the truck still as well as the roadway and ditches. The findings were pretty remarkable - Less than 60 gallons of 1X3 AFFF applied through hand lines.

On that note, the primary application of AFFF will be from hand lines with the capability of master streams once a tote of AFFF arrives on scene or the massing of AFFF has been accomplished. Even with 2 hand lines flowing AFFF, the studies done at the HFD Academy by Haz Mat have shown that 2 cooling lines (plain water) and 2 AFFF lines is adequate for extinguishment of a standard tractor trailer gasoline tanker. And believe it or not, when available manpower only allows for 2 lines immediately, they are advocating placing the cooling lines in service first to diminish further degradation of the shell and consequent increase of burning product on the ground and running.

Oh well, just some thoughts.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

MembersZone Subscriber

I saw your footage on the web site. Looked good. Great job. I had a rider both days of the tour.

And it IS the best license plate frame on a fire truck in Texas.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

Forum Member

Question for those who have delt with Ferrara. Do they "push" the thru tank ladder storage?

MembersZone Subscriber BVFD1983's Avatar

I do not know about pushing it, but I think when you weigh the advantages and disadvantages, the through the tank or beside the tank (on its beam) ladder storage wins out most of the time.
    FTM - PTB

Forum Member

ferrara seems to have good trucks, we have a 2002 spartan/ferrara and 1974 Ward LaFrance that was refurbished by Ferrara. The 2002 is a great truck except for small problems, such as the shocks on the compartment door failing, strobe light lenses cracking, and lots of problems with the door latches. The '74 has been plagued with problems but I think that is due to age more than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by osfd100
    $460,000 fully equipped with all the features that came with it realy isnt that bad! 25 ft. night scan light tower (9000w), 2000gpm hale pump, more side mounted lights, whelen full led light package, scott scba's w/ extra bottles, fold-a-tank, tons of hand tools, saws etc, thru the tank ladder and hard suction storage, 1000 gallon tank, 50 gal. b foam cell, side mounted led tank level gauge ( on each side of the cab) bumper mounted trash line, federal q2b siren (a must have) federal electronic q siren, gas meters, thermal imaging camera, and even a cd player! oh and almost forgot the bell! this peice is loaded and id say it was worth the price u have to see it to believe it! www.oldsaybrookfire.com click on apparatus (351) or click on pictures and under category click on new engine!
    I would say that for all that you got for 460K itís a heck of a deal.
    Iím not familiar with Ferrara other then what Iíve seen at shows but from youíre pictures it looks like a sharp rig.
    Whatís the chassis and GVW?

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb Ground Level Fill for foam tank.

Have any of you guys looked at a FoamPro ground level fill setup. They charge about $2500.00 for the setup installed. You can add one yourself for less than $250.00. Just download the system schematic from FoamPro and then take the drawing to your local RV parts store and get the needed parts. The pump is just an RV water pump you can get for about $70.00. A little careful rigging and you'll have the same setup as the original for a lot less.

Forum Member

My department decided to stay away from Ferrara because that dealer was missing about $25,000 worth items. I was the only person on our committee that could make up a set of specs for our new engine and after I submitted it to the committee we then refined it. The only major thing that I had to remove was CAFS. When the Ferrara sales rep showed up she was ready to deal, knocked off about $12,000 just for the payment plan we proposed. My chief and I thought something was wrong and I took her quote home that night and went through it page by page against 4 Guys. We were getting screwed big time! I can't say good or bad about them but due to a bad sales rep we will not look at them again. 4 Guys is close to us and build a great fire truck. You can see it on there websight in the archives, look for Limestone. Came in at $278,000. Darley 1750, Foam Pro 2002, 10,000 watt Harrison, and a 400 Cummins. Picked it up on 12-22-05.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default our problems

the biggest problem we have run into with out ferrara pumper is that it was hurried to get it here in time for the michigan fireman's memorial festival. also the corrison is horrible on this truck, and the jake brake is very weak.
    michael umphrey
    captain higgins twp fire/rescue/ems
    roscommon,mi

Forum Member

The Jake brake should have programmable modes in it (not the dash switches) various computer programing dictates downshifts etc. Take it to your nearest diesel engine rep. and I'm sure they can turn it up!!!

Forum Member

Default Mount Vernon, NY Ferrara's

We wrote the spec's for Mount Vernon, NY's 2 2005 Ferrara Ultra's they just took delivery on 2 weeks ago. Go to: http://www.emtbravo.lunarpages.com/N...ries/MVE4.html

www.ewfac.com

Forum Member

Nice looking pumper ! A F.D.N.Y. Clone .

Thread Information