Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default What Do U Guys Think About Ferrara?

ill tell ya what FERRARA has just made us an amazing piece of apparatus (custom pumper) and i highly support their company. check it out www.oldsaybrookfire.com look under apparatus!
    Last edited by osfd100; 12-04-2005 at 08:52 PM.

They're ok. We have some of their aerials. It is good that they went away from RK and went with Smeal aerials. Their bodies seem to be strong and the doors seem very rigid. There were a few little details that could've been better such as having a flush seam in the diamondplate cap over the compartments that wasn't sealed. (I also think that there should've been a separate compartment ceiling installed) Water was getting into the compartments pretty bad for a while until we noticed the unsealed seams. Once sealed back up it was fine. It did make us suspicious about quality control for a while because if something like that could've been missed then we were wondering what else was missed also. They turned out to be fine rigs in the end.

Then there was the matter of the grounding cable from the engine to the chassis being missing on one of the trucks. That was a Spartan problem though and quickly corrected.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Forum Member

I think they are a class act. The best buying experience you could ever have.

MembersZone Subscriber

I HAVE TO ADMIT THE ONLY PROBLEM THAT WE HAVE HAD WITH IT HAS BEEN A DETROIT DIESIEL PORBLEM AND THAT WAS WITH ONE OF THE BELTS. ITS AN AMZING RIG!!!!!! and yes the smeal aerials do make a very big difference!

Forum Member

If you have any questions about their product I suggest that you call Cincinnati FD and ask them about Squad 52, they're heavy rescue. It has been out of service more than it has been inservice due to cracks and fatigue in the aluminum. It has paid a few return trips to Louisiana as well to remedy these issues without success. They have returned to service a 20 y/o Ford 7000/ Saulsbury due to these issues. And don't forget to ask them about their four Freightliner/Ferraras as well.

Houston FD recently got a few Ferrara pumpers and have a couple ladders on the way. Most people seem to like them, the only complaint I have heard is they do not stop too well when the Jake Brake is off.
    "Training doesn't make you a good fireman, fighting fire makes you a good fireman"
    http://thedarksideof911.blogspot.com/
    FTM-PTB-EGH
    IACOJ

Forum Member

I am surprised it doesent have Class A foam, only B foam. Also, how much did that rig cost?

MembersZone Subscriber

it came back to around $460,000 not bad at all!!!!!! I also believe that this is one of those companies that if u spec it right you will have an absolute blast. this company has so many options that it is easy to get tied up especially if u do things like a spartan of frieghtliner combo. in my opinion go straight ferrara with no combo!

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

We run a couple of Ferraras and they build a decent rig....I think the quality of construction is excellent, but our '96 engine (on a Spartan chassis) has been plagued with electrical problems that Ferrara never could seem to resolve. Other than that a fine rig. Hopefully they've re-engineered the electrical systems by now to correct that problem (I'd heard similar complaints from other departments...)

The last two apparatus (apparatuses? apparati? ) we have purchased (an engine in 2000 and a rescue this year) have not been Ferraras, not because of anything against them, they just lost the bids on price.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream ó and I hope you don't find this too crazy ó is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    ó C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

The HFD rigs mentioned have been holding up well. They are assigned to some companies that make upwards of 4000 runs a year, so after a year we'll see for sure. Other than that, the pumpers are layed out well and are well liked by the crews.

On the topic of the aerials, we are getting one of the 1st 2 to be recieved. It will be replacing a '00 E-One 100' so we'll see how it goes. The E-One has taken a beating, held up well and keeps coming back for more so it will be a hard act to follow. Especially in garden apartment complexes with limited space. But, we are trying to be opened minded to the new Ferrara rig.

Hey JMitchell, nice signature line. Where have I seen that before?
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

MembersZone Subscriber

Actually from what i hear they have renovated their electronics systems so its all easy to re configure and repair if necessary. I know the city of hartford CT, is also receiving a bunch of new rigs a heavy 'scue and a couple pumpers. also the fdny has received a couple Ultras in their fleet. one is at the bureau of training and the other is with engine 23 i beleive. believe it or not the only problems that ive heard of with ferrara have been on combo apparatus with spartan and freightliner cabs etc. its smarter to go with straight ferrara.

Ferrara's - it's a nice little restaraunt, good food, decent atmosphere, comedy night every Wednesday, a little pricy but not too bad.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

[QUOTE=osfd100]it came back to around $460,000 not bad at all!!!!!! QUOTE]

Somehow, $460,000 and the term "not bad at all" just doesn't seem to fit in my budget!
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Unfortunately, our next pumper is going to cost around $470,000.00. And that is UNEQUIPPED.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

MembersZone Subscriber BVFD1983's Avatar

That's the price you gotta pay for customization and big drivetrains, both well worth it!
    FTM - PTB

Forum Member

while u r calling down to southern ohio to ask them about fearrara call up to northern ohio like cleveland and parma. ask leveland about the squads they had and how long they remained in front-line duty or parma about the rescue.
    Last edited by apparatusfan; 12-05-2005 at 06:54 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber BVFD1983's Avatar

Have they sold any apparatus with the Strong Arm?
    FTM - PTB

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Larry, that $470K Stafford's next rig or HFD's? Dang, we only spent $420K on E3, CAFS Rescue-pumper. And a good hunk of that was going to the 500HP DDC.

MembersZone Subscriber

Brian, its for our next pumper in Stafford. It will be assigned to Engine 1. As for the price, it will be worth it (In todays terms and pricing) when it goes in service. Pretty much like our last but without the boom on top. Should be farely impressive with Class "A", "B" & CAFS from every discharge and deck gun. 30 gallon "A" and 60 gallon "B" with those being reviewed to see if we need to increase them. Should be the 1st true Class "B" capable pumper in the county that doesn't need to use in-line eductors for hand lines or self-educting master streams that go through 5 gallon pails of foam at an amazing rate. The FoamPro 2002 coupled to a Waterous Eclipse CAFS is an amazing thing. You should see the snow storm our Engine 2 puts on from its boom. Its your choice, wet or dry snow. LOL. Oh, and it will have an auto-fill for ground level refilling of the foam tanks.
    Last edited by STATION2; 12-05-2005 at 11:32 PM.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

FH Mag/.com Contributor

The ground level fill is nice, we got that on both CAFS trucks. Beats having to send the new guy up on top with pails.

60 of B might go pretty quickly with that many discharges going. We dropped A in both tanks on E3, use it 98% of the time and unless it's huge and we need F22, 60 of B isn't going to make a dent if A can't put it out.

Thread Information