Thread: Hey everybody

Forum Member

Default Hey everybody

Hi, my name is Peter and i am looking into the career of firefighting. Most young firefighters know the feeling, the passion that one gets when they see a firetruck go by, or when they see the heroes risking there lives. I know i want to be a part of it, i can feel it. The problem is, i don't quite know where to start. I live in chicago, which is a good thing. I almost applied to joliet junior college and college of dupage because i hear they have tremendous fire science programs. I also heard that going to college for firefighting is a waste of time, and i should go about it differently. I hear there is a test coming out in chicago, first one since 1995. I read it and it said applicants need to be at least 19. I am 18, and i turn 19 on may 10. Does that automatically exclude me? I would love to hear from some vets or anybody who wants to help a young guy who has a passion for this. Thank you guys so much.

Forum Member

The age for the Chicago test depends on when the test is etc. If it is after you birthday you probably will be fine if that is the only requirement you have not met. Make sure to read the application or test information real carefully to make sure that you do fit all of the requirements.

Have you graduated high school?

Also, you may want to try getting on another local vollie or career dept. It may be eaiser to get on.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pistolpete7777
    I also heard that going to college for firefighting is a waste of time, and i should go about it differently.
    BAD ADVICE! College is NEVER a waste of time. Whatever increases your knowledge is a GOOD thing, and will help you in whatever career you choose, including firefighting.

That said, I wouldn't put off starting to apply for firefighter positions until you finish college. Who knows, it may take you four years to land a job, especially in a large city like Chicago. If you do happen to get an offer for a job that you would like to take and you are still in school, you can always change over to part-time student status and take classes on your days off, until you earn your degree.

Depending on what department you're applying for, a college degree may or may not help you land a job. It will, however, help make you a better candidate for promotion later in your career.

Good luck!

Forum Member

thanks guys it is all helpful

Thread Information