Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Safer?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Safer?

Anyone heard the status of the SAFER Grants. Haven't seen anything lately. From the last round, it looks like there is still money.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Oodles is left, only $28 million out of $65 million has been publicly announced so far. In fact $4 million went back into the pot because awardees in the first couple of rounds couldn't answer yes to some of the questions. Supposedly, even more than that is going to be returned for the same reasons.

It would appear that many did not actually have the support of those that hold the purse strings in their areas before submitting the application. Very, very crucial piece of the puzzle to have.

Forum Member

Default SAFER Grants

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    Oodles is left, only $28 million out of $65 million has been publicly announced so far. In fact $4 million went back into the pot because awardees in the first couple of rounds couldn't answer yes to some of the questions. Supposedly, even more than that is going to be returned for the same reasons.

It would appear that many did not actually have the support of those that hold the purse strings in their areas before submitting the application. Very, very crucial piece of the puzzle to have.
    Some folks just don't read, or pay close attention to, the RFP Guidelines. Had one company send me a copy of their narrative to see if I could do a bit of lobbying for them. They never even mentioned the marketing component requirement that was clearly stated in the guidelines.

Wanna bet some folks do read and then follow the guidelines the next time?

If there is much returned like this, don't be surprised if DOH sends out another RFP . . . they've got to spend the money, or they won't get more from congress (US), next year.

Will Griffin
    http://VFD-Funding.com

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Actually they can't do another RFP, but not likely to happen anyway because of the volume of applications received versus the available funds. The awarded apps will just have lower than expected scores, and the projects claiming that big screen TVs will help their recruitment & retention will end up being funded. I don't think it will be that drastic, but you're right in that very few apps included marketing plans, or just plans in general.

The $115 million for next year is already approved and appropriated, and this year's dough has no effect on that. Same thing next year though, unless it's done right it could be the lower scoring apps that get the awards by default.

Forum Member

Default Safer

Actually they can't do another RFP, but not likely to happen anyway because of the volume of applications received versus the available funds. The awarded apps will just have lower than expected scores, and the projects claiming that big screen TVs will help their recruitment & retention will end up being funded. I don't think it will be that drastic, but you're right in that very few apps included marketing plans, or just plans in general.

The $115 million for next year is already approved and appropriated, and this year's dough has no effect on that. Same thing next year though, unless it's done right it could be the lower scoring apps that get the awards by default.
    You're right, they do have to spend it and can't roll it over into next year.

Maybe we'll see "Marketing Plans" as four (4) 1/4 page ads in the local newspaper, one every 3 months, get accepted as marketing plans.

One narrative I saw addressed only providing health care benefits to about 16 members, with no marketing plan, no addressing of the administrative component, nor any addressing of the issue of who picks up this tab, at the end of the 4 years for project continuity...I'm willing to bet that this will no doubt be one of the very last to get funded, after they've run out of applications to review . . . I wonder if the "Big Screen TV" incentive you suggested just might fly?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Probably not that far down the list, there are plenty of hiring apps where departments can afford to make all 5 years worth of requirements. That would be the extreme. But the degree of missing components of awarded apps will certainly increase if the most competitive apps can't meet the requirements.

MembersZone Subscriber

So in regards to hiring, is no news still good news? No questions, no.....anything.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

No gnus is good gnews.

Unless you eat gnus.

Sorry, used to watch the Great Space Coaster way back when.

Anywho, no emails beats a DJ as far as I'm concerned. Not as great as an award, but at least there's still a chance.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you remember back to a thread about a month and a half ago, I predicted this scenario. Many departments submitted applications with the thought that if they were awarded then they would start looking for the approval of the matching funds.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I remember that. I think there was a lot of us that predicted this outcome just based on the guidance documents.

MembersZone Subscriber

On the Marketing discussion...my own FD that was funded had a marketing plan included. That plan had a community mailout to let the citizens know of recruitment needs, and also meetings with the HS Seniors to recruit them to let them know of the opportunities we can offer them now with the scholarship $ we received with SAFER.

Our project included funds to provide scholarships to community members that an independant committee will review the applications yearly or twice a year, depending on the amount of applicants, and then award scholarships to local community colleges, after meeting and interviewing the finalist.

The awardees will have to sign a one year committment to the FD (complete with number of calls/hours or percentage, etc.) in order to fullfill the scholarship requirements. They then are free to major in any field of their choice, and the FD awards them the scholarship. We are in the process of developing the guidelines, and such right now to be ready for this next year.
    The community college & it's foundation is also going to market this for the FD.

The goal was to funnel new people into the FD and introduce them to the experience of the fire department. We are a volunteer organization that has had problems recruiting and then retaining the volunteers. Since we are in the process of opening up a second station, we are in dire need of more recruits. With the possibility of anywhere from 6-12 sholarships each year, those new volunteers bring alot of hope over the 5 years of the grant, that we'll be able to keep some of the ones we get in. We have experienced great layoffs, so this works well with alot of people looking to change careers, get back to work, etc. within our community.

We also included a line item for a grant administrator, to meet that requirement, in addition to the marketing requirement.

My marketing/sales background (prior to the grant writing) has certainly been a big asset in working on SAFER and other grants. You really need an ability to think 'outside the box' and think about your own community and it's needs, along with what will really help your FD the most, in my opinion...
    Alana Tomlin Denton
    Freelance Grant Writer/Consultant

MembersZone Subscriber

Has there been a lot of DJs already?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

DJs went out for those that didn't make Peer Review, I haven't heard of any since. I'm guessing that with all of the money being refused because of various reasons they'll hold some of these until they figure out who really can take the dough.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Got questions this morning!!

Received the questions this AM from FEMA so they must be moving ahead!!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Good deal. Congrats

Forum Member

Default SAFER Grants

Quote Originally Posted by dixiechicknc
    On the Marketing discussion...my own FD that was funded had a marketing plan included. That plan had a community mailout to let the citizens know of recruitment needs, and also meetings with the HS Seniors to recruit them to let them know of the opportunities we can offer them now with the scholarship $ we received with SAFER.

Our project included funds to provide scholarships to community members that an independant committee will review the applications yearly or twice a year, depending on the amount of applicants, and then award scholarships to local community colleges, after meeting and interviewing the finalist.

The awardees will have to sign a one year committment to the FD (complete with number of calls/hours or percentage, etc.) in order to fullfill the scholarship requirements. They then are free to major in any field of their choice, and the FD awards them the scholarship. We are in the process of developing the guidelines, and such right now to be ready for this next year.
    The community college & it's foundation is also going to market this for the FD.

The goal was to funnel new people into the FD and introduce them to the experience of the fire department. We are a volunteer organization that has had problems recruiting and then retaining the volunteers. Since we are in the process of opening up a second station, we are in dire need of more recruits. With the possibility of anywhere from 6-12 sholarships each year, those new volunteers bring alot of hope over the 5 years of the grant, that we'll be able to keep some of the ones we get in. We have experienced great layoffs, so this works well with alot of people looking to change careers, get back to work, etc. within our community.

We also included a line item for a grant administrator, to meet that requirement, in addition to the marketing requirement.

My marketing/sales background (prior to the grant writing) has certainly been a big asset in working on SAFER and other grants. You really need an ability to think 'outside the box' and think about your own community and it's needs, along with what will really help your FD the most, in my opinion...
    You're definitely one in a minority. The PG mentioned both the marketing and the management plan components. It may be that as some of the companies not taking the grants are now finding that they have to meet certain requirements, including getting local support and participation. Did they really think the feds would forget or ignore certain parts of the PG, just because the VFD didn't think these important?

I mentioned to one company last year about the scholarship element that you have included, to strengthen their proposal. They didn't want to do that, address the marketing plan or how they were going to administrate what they had as their idea for a SAFER grant. Needless to say, I didn't put their proposal in for them and I sure didn't do any lobbying on their behalf and for their idea. I'm glad to see that you did get a grant for that componenent, along with your marketing plan and addressing administration.

In a project I'm lobbying hard for now, I also have a grant/scholarship component. In addition to a $1,000 tax credit for volunteer FF/EMS, I've added a $2,500 scholarship/grant for younger members, to pay for tuition and books. I've got this at http://VFD-Funding.com if you wish to take a look at the requirements. I cogently believe a component like this is important and is necessary to recruit/retain younger firefighters. - Congrats on your success and I hope this continues with your project.

Will Griffin

MembersZone Subscriber

As Brian mentioned in one of the other threads, lobbying is not allowed in the AFG grants. Since you are referring to the SAFER grant and scholarships (and we're in a SAFER forum), I will assume the lobbying activities you are referring to are in relation to a SAFER application.

Although you may not be the "signer" of the application, a FD could get in a lot of trouble with someone "lobbying" on their behalf, as there are extensive forms that have to be signed at the end of the application stating that there is no lobbying going on.

Just an FYI. I'd hate to see the FD lose the funds, or be penalized over something that they weren't actually out there doing themselves.

Thread Information