1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Oct 2002

    Default Carbon monoxide blamed in hunters' death

    This was out of the obit on Mark Jackson
    Mr. Jackson was a 1987 graduate of Pine Tree High School in Longview and was a Baptist. He worked many years with the Texas Department of Criminal Justice Boyd Unit, worked with the Texas Forest Service and for Wal-Mart in security. He was assistant chief with the Tennessee Colony Volunteer Fire Department and also did rescue and dive recovery. At the time of his death, he worked for Whelen Company of Arlington

    the story....

    The Palestine Herald

    A Thanksgiving hunting trip in New Mexico turned deadly for two Tennessee Colony residents.

    The bodies of Danny Davis, 56, and Mark Jackson, 38, both of Tennessee Colony, were found in their tent Friday by fellow hunters in the Sacramento Mountains, said Otero County Sheriff’s Capt. Norbert Sanchez.

    The cause of death for both men was carbon monoxide poisoning from a small propane-fueled heater found in the tent.

    The propane heater was an approved heater, but it wasn’t ventilated properly, Sanchez said Wednesday.

    “The results are deadly,” he added.

    The two Anderson County men were on an elk hunting trip in the Sacramento Mountains, Wells Canyon area of New Mexico, when the temperatures dropped below freezing Thanksgiving night and they lit the heater inside the tent to stay warm, according to officials in Otero County.

    “Carbon monoxide is bad stuff,” said Alan Wilcher, Palestine fire marshal. “It is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas.”

    Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include nausea, headache, dilated pupils and the skin turning a cherry red color, Wilcher said.

    “The problem with carbon monoxide is people go to sleep and just don’t wake up,” Wilcher said. “The carbon monoxide binds more easily with the blood cells depriving the body of oxygen and it just shuts down.”

    He said these two tragic deaths should be a wakeup call as to the reasons the fire department stresses not using camp stoves and propane-fueled stand-alone heaters in the home.

    “The same holds true for the people who use natural gas to heat their home,” Wilcher said. “They need to check every month to make sure the pilot light has a pretty blue flame with very little yellow in it.”

    Wilcher said if the flame is mostly yellow then the fuel is not being burned totally, allowing carbon monoxide to escape into the home.

    “More people die from carbon monoxide poisoning than fires,” Wilcher said. “They just simply go to sleep and never wake up.”

    Friends of the Jackson family will hold a benefit to help defray funeral costs and other expenses.

    According to a family friend, Jackson had just changed jobs and did not have health insurance.

    The benefit will be at 1 p.m. Saturday at the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post No. 8924 on Loop 256.

    Barbecue plates, sandwiches and drinks will be sold.

    Services for Davis will be at 10 a.m. Friday at Autry Funeral Home Chapel in Jacksonville.

    Services for Jackson were held at 10 a.m. today at Evangelistic Temple in Palestine. Graveside services were at 3 p.m. today at Rosewood Park in Longview.

    Last edited by Sugarfoot; 12-06-2005 at 08:03 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Law requires carbon monoxide detectors in homes
    By stm4710 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-06-2005, 07:00 AM
  2. Generator death
    By kjohn23 in forum Florida
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-16-2005, 06:35 PM
  3. It's the Law...in New York
    By E40FDNYL35 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-06-2004, 10:35 PM
  4. False Alarms with Carbon Monoxide Detectors
    By joejoe33 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-27-2003, 01:13 PM
  5. Civilian Fire Fatalities
    By DCFF in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 02-08-2002, 08:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register