Thread: Airbag Covers

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Airbag Covers

Time to shed some light on a controversial subject.....The Airbag Cover! I have been doing some extensive research on different airbag covers and here are the results.......THROW THEM AWAY! Automakers, Airbag Manufacturers and NHTSA all state that the airbag should not be covered, cut or restrained in any way. Doing so puts the liability back on you since you are not following manufacturers procedures. I have tried all of them I could find. They have all failed on a consistant basis, yet I talk to departments daily that carry them on every piece of equipment. Today most steering wheels are made out of Magnesium or Aluminum. They are designed to bend in the collision to reduce injuries to the hands and arms. The airbag is there to catch you so there is no need for any addition restraint from the steering wheel. When I use the airbag cover, the steering wheel ring bends during the deployment and the cover usually blows off. In the cases where it stays on the airbag still fully inflates. The bag buster has shown to pose two risks. First I have found numerous trials where the steering wheel ring broke and the metal plate went flying through the vehicle. In other trials the airbag deployment caused the plastic steering column housing to explode and blow pieces of plastic all throughout the vehicle. I still can not figure out the purpose of the net. It covers the entire dash but allows the airbags to deploy fully. Here's the concern.......anytime a device is used it creates a false sense of security. You tend to forget about the deployment path of the airbag and put yourself and your patient in harms way. I have included a video link to one of the airbag cover tests that was done by the Henderson NV FD. Please notice how many times the firefighter places his head directly in front of the airbag while installing the cover and you will also see the steering wheel ring bend and the airbag deploy it's full distance. These devices should NEVER be used. Always practice safe distancing from the airbags. Airbag Cover Failure
    Last edited by harley4227; 12-06-2005 at 02:42 AM.

Forum Member

Nice to see that my gut instinct and many years of working on vehicles now have validated proof of my thoughts on these devices. T.C.

Forum Member

Is there anyway I can save the video to my computer?

MembersZone Subscriber

Right Click on the video name (Airbag Cover Failure) then left click "Save Target As" and select where you want it saved. It should download to your computer. All of the video files are in Windows Media Player format. Let me know if you have trouble.

dazed and confused

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101
    Nice to see that my gut instinct and many years of working on vehicles now have validated proof of my thoughts on these devices. T.C.

PFFFT I call it a lucky guess.

PS Hope business is booming with all the rocket scientists driving around at 90mph in their SUV's.. 6" of the white stuff and counting
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

Default Awesome!

Awesome video! Backs-up what I have been thinking for years. Many thanks for the post!!

JB
    John E. Burruss, NREMT-P
    Heavy-Technical Rescue Instructor
    Virginia Department of Fire Programs

Forum Member

14,Spoken like a 'coaster who hardly knows what white stuff looks like,hehe.Had a chat with a Sheriff last night at a head on who thought we ought to have some.He got "enlightened".Didn't have far to drag 'em,it was at the end of my driveway.Three extricated and in the ER in 29 minutes from TOC. Crew did a good job. T.C.

Thread Information