Forum Member

Default Hello from Northern Virginia

Hi all!

I've been lurking around these forums for about a week now, on and off, and decided to register and join the forums tonight. Tonight also marks another special occasion for me... I was voted in as a probationary member for the rescue squad out here.

This is something that I've been thinking about for almost a year-- ever since I discovered that the community I was moving to had a volunteer rescue squad. (I just moved to Purcellville in late July/early August this year.) A couple of months ago (after finishing getting settled in the new place) I started looking for more information about volunteering with the rescue squad.... and now, here I am.

I just completed the CPR course this past weekend, have EVOC training scheduled for next week, and am planning to take the EMT-B courses in 2006. This is my first experience with a rescue squad, or with emergency medical care in general (aside from the stuff I learned when I was involved in scouting many moons ago), so I'm about as new as they come. I would, however, like to think that what I lack in experience and education can at least partially be offset by determination to learn and desire to grow.

I've been told by a number of people that I'll have plenty of opportunities to do this very thing in the coming months. I'm looking forward to learning as much as possible and being able to become a contributing member-- not only to my company, but on this board as well. Thanks in advance to all who will undoubtedly offer knowledge, advice, and friendship along the way.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Congrats!!!

I just want to express my sincere congratulations on your achievement as a rescue squad volunteer firefighter.....one thing you'll learn for sure is that your first ride an any apparatus (fire eng, truck, rescue) will quickly get under your skin and you'll be hooked for life, cuz there's no better job out there...especially after your first fire, I love it and wouldn't do anything else.
    Once you know if this is the career you want to pursue for sure, put in an application with Fairfax County fire and rescue, they're always looking for men and women to join their team...and there's no application deadline.
    Good Luck and congrats!

Welcome to the family.

Forum Member

ff4christjd-

Thanks for the welcome. Ironically, I just moved out here from Centreville a few months ago. I'm originally from western PA and moved down here for work in 1998.

I wasn't originally thinking about a career change with this-- my main reasons for doing this so far have been a strong belief in community service and a strong desire to do something that leaves me with the feeling that I've done something special to make a positive impact on people's lives. (While my day job is nice, these are things that it lacks.) Your suggestion, however, has definitely planted a seed in my mind. I'll have to see how things progress. You're not the first person to tell me that I'll be hooked after my first ride. If that's the case, I may have just gotten involved in something that will cause me to change careers. At a minimum, I've started down a path that will change my life and allow me to help others-- even if I remain a vollie and don't quit my day job I'd still say that's something significant and important.

Are you in Fairfax County? Are any other board members here from Loudoun and Fairfax? Maybe we all can meet offline some time just to compare notes and chat.

So, do you (or anyone else) have any suggestions/observations about how to prepare myself for my first ride? (Obviously I'm not going to be treating patients or anything-- I'm just trying to figure out what to expect.) I'm excited about it and a little uncomfortable about it (uncomfortable because I'm not exactly sure what to expect and not 100% sure of how I'll react under certain circumstances). I'm assuming this is normal and will change as I get a few rides under my belt. (At least that's what one of my high school friends who was a vollie a few years ago told me.)

I'm reporting for a 1/2 shift this Friday afternoon (my first time). I'm not 100% sure if I'll be heading out on calls or not then... I guess I'll find that out in a few days.

Forum Member

Default First Call...

An hour before the shift ended today I got my first call. I had my first ride. It was nothing major-- we were standing by at the scene in support of an emergency call to the fire dept. After 15 mins of waiting we were released and headed back to the station.

By jove, I believe I'm hooked...

I think y'all will be seeing more of me in these forums...

Thread Information