MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Pc Back In Da House

Dec 5, 8:08 PM EST

Tree Decorated by Okla. Students Removed

By RON JENKINS Associated Press Writer

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- A Christmas tree that elementary school students decorated with discarded lottery tickets was removed from the state Capitol over the weekend after a lawmaker complained it was inappropriate.

Rep. Randy Terrill, who opposes the lottery, said he spotted the tree on Wednesday when it was erected as part of the governor's annual Christmas tree lighting ceremony. The Republican lawmaker called the Westwood Elementary School principal, who apologized and asked the governor's office to remove the tree.

Sherry Fair, spokeswoman for Oklahoma City Public Schools, said the teachers and children did not intend to offend anyone. The teachers went to various convenience stores and got used lottery tickets, which were cut into various geometric shapes and placed on the tree.

"They had been studying about the lottery and understood that the lottery money benefits public schools," Fair said. "They came up with a theme about the gift of education."

Terrill said the principal had invited him to talk to students at the school.

Paul Sund, a spokesman for Gov. Brad Henry, said the governor's office had nothing to do with decorating the tree and referred questions to the school district. The office of the state school superintendent selects the schools that decorate the trees.

2005 The Associated Press.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Well, looks like the children will be learning to dislike politicians early in this class.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Ya know, thats just STUPID.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

"Rep. Randy Terrill, who opposes the lottery, said he spotted the tree on Wednesday when it was erected as part of the governor's annual Christmas tree lighting ceremony."

Does this mean that if we oppose Randy, we can get him removed also?

Tanker
    I.A.C.O.J. Firefighter/EMT-B

"I'm gonna drill a hole in your skull and pump out all the stupidity"
    Gunny Ermey

"Never underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Humpty Dumpty was pushed

Polishing the Chrome on all the IACOJ "apparati"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tanker5117
    Tanker
    Hey gorgeous...
    Anita Nesbitt - Chef Extraordinaire
    Never Forget The Brothers - 343 - 9.11.01 - Always in our hearts...
    Stay safe... you never know whats round the next corner
    Go Yankees... Derek Jeter rules!!!
    Go Penguins... Crosby 87... #1 Draft Pick '05

MembersZone Subscriber

These polititions are getting so bad, give it 10 years and we will not be able to do or have anything outside of our home. I say get rid of politics and lets just have a free for all.
    "Training doesn't make you a good fireman, fighting fire makes you a good fireman"
    http://thedarksideof911.blogspot.com/
    FTM-PTB-EGH
    IACOJ

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Proby1711
    Hey gorgeous...

Tanker is a married man, ya know!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

I know, Sheri... I am also married... hence the smilie...

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Yes, we know you are married. However, THIS little gem made you lose all credibility and respect .... and makes any post of this nature rather suspicious

Quote Originally Posted by Proby1711
    Q: Should I travel from the UK to the USA to consumate a relationship, even though I am married? (this is serious)
    Oh, and a "wink" can be taken many different ways, such as indicating flirtation

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Totally unrelated... & vodka-fuelled... end of story.

Forum Member

Perception is everything ....

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Who Opposes the Lottery?

In some communities or situations I can see the Bingo Hall or maybe the Keno or VLT terminals, etc.

But the friggin state lottery is bad now too?

This guy really has nothing to do if this is job 1.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Default Back on track after hijacking the thread!

The teachers went to various convenience stores and got used lottery tickets, which were cut into various geometric shapes and placed on the tree.
    Maybe this teacher was teaching the 3 R's ... REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE!

Sounds environmentally responsible to me.
    Last edited by RspctFrmCalgary; 12-06-2005 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Back on track after hijacking the thread!

Sheri
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Not only does this frost my(formal dances) but last night on the Oreilly show on Fox,there was some nut job trying to get crossed removed from state highways and not just from people setting up their own memorial for loved ones killed in wrecks.He also wanted the state to not erect crosses for highway patrolmen killed LODD
    Not repeating what all I was saying because this is a family paper,but if y'all ever hear that I got killed on a fire call,make sure someone puts a cross over me and drop kick anyone trying to stop it so he can't pass on his genes for assholia,please.
    Now,I gotta go down to the local grade school and wish the teachers a Merry Christmas.

Forum Member

Tax on Alcohol and Tobacco also help to finance the school system, but no one here would question a ban on kids being able to cut up cans of beer and cartons of Marlboroughs for Christmas(sorry, Holiday) decorations. One has to be 18 to play the lottery, should not have a problem with keeping kids from using such limited access items for a school project.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

I'd rather see lottery proceeds go to primary education(grade and high schools if you didn't know)as opposed to colleges.
    The kids have to be taught enough to get into college before they should be worrying about paying the freight to go.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson
    Not only does this frost my(formal dances) but last night on the Oreilly show on Fox,there was some nut job trying to get crossed removed from state highways and not just from people setting up their own memorial for loved ones killed in wrecks.He also wanted the state to not erect crosses for highway patrolmen killed LODD
    Not repeating what all I was saying because this is a family paper,but if y'all ever hear that I got killed on a fire call,make sure someone puts a cross over me and drop kick anyone trying to stop it so he can't pass on his genes for assholia,please.
    Now,I gotta go down to the local grade school and wish the teachers a Merry Christmas.
    You have a bigger problem with the STATE stepping over the church & state line then you do with individuals?
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell
    Who Opposes the Lottery?

In some communities or situations I can see the Bingo Hall or maybe the Keno or VLT terminals, etc.

But the friggin state lottery is bad now too?

This guy really has nothing to do if this is job 1.
    Many feel that the lottery is akeen to gambling, and also ends up as a tax on the poor and ignorent. They present a good agruement, although you don't have to agree with it, but when it comes down to it it is still limited to adults just as alcohol and tobacco is. Those would not be allowed in a school setting, why should other items that are age limited on moral grounds?
    -Big Russ

Forum Member

If people can't say Merry Christmas because that amounts to state endorsement of a specific religion,then why do the kids get December 25th,the Easter holiday and the last Thursday of November off?Those are religious Holy days as well.
    Guess it's better to give them days off from the daily grind than to admit that they are being given a break to celebrate a religious holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    You have a bigger problem with the STATE stepping over the church & state line then you do with individuals?
    Last edited by doughesson; 12-06-2005 at 04:36 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson
    If people can't say Merry Christmas because that amounts to state endorsement of a specific religion,then why do the kids get December 25th off?
    It is a now a non-sectarian holiday, and it would be stupid to have the government and schools open on a day when most folks would not show up, basic econolics at this point. If Islam ever gets close to being a majority religion in this country you can expect to see Rhamadan and other Muslem holidays off. Many school districts that have large Jewish populations have YomKipper and other Jewish Holiday's off, it makes pratical sence.

Now the state errecting a religious symbol such as a cross at the side of the road is a whole 'nother ball game. There is nothing wrong with them putting up a non-sectarian memorial, but if they do a cross, they better be prepared to put up Stars of David for Jews, Cresents for Muslems, and Vishnew for Hindu's.
    -Big Russ

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

WOW... ever have one of those days when ya think ya mighta kicked the cat AND the can o worms over?

On the subject of road side memorials, I have a bit of a problem with them when they become so big as to be a traffic hazard for Lookie-Loos, or worse when they do road side vigils. This happened back home a while ago, and I am still amazed that there were no MVIs associated with it.

On the other side of the coin, if they are done tastefully then I have no beef with a road side cairn. There is a very beautiful memorial to an EMS attendant in SW Calgary, AB.

I too am wondering how long it will be before we start to offer days off for other than Christian celebrations. Its coming, I am sure. My real wonderment is: who will be authorized those days off? Will it be available to everyone, or only those who follow any of the given religions? You are Christian, so you get the Christian days off, but because your friend is Jewish, he is not. However he will be given the Jewish days for celebration. Where/when do you draw the line as an employer?
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jmitchell
    These polititions are getting so bad, give it 10 years and we will not be able to do or have anything outside of our home. I say get rid of politics and lets just have a free for all.

Dunno 'bout this one either, brother. someone may drive by your house and be offended because they can see it..

BTW everyone, Merry Christmas.. Stay safe this time of year....pray we dont see another annoucement for a LODD

Forum Member

Totally unrelated... & vodka-fuelled... end of story.
    You know, Drunk man says what sober man thinks. Well its no different for women.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Thread Information