Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber WaterbryVTfire's Avatar

Default Ignorance? Or Stupidty?

Here's one for us to discuss....
    In my "regular" job as a service rep. for an independent insurance adjuster (we are hired by companies to go look at their customerís damage). Anyway,
    I recently spoke to a person that had a chimney fire. The fire actually was not in the chimney, but surrounding it, so basically it was in the walls. They put it out by chopping into the walls, and using a garden hose.

They did not call the fire department because verbatim "We didn't want them to cause more damage". I heard this and almost choked. But, not as much as the person, when I told them that I was a member of the fire department that would have responded. Incidentally, the location of this home is about 6 miles from the nearest station, and up a narrow and windy mountain road. Where we actually have to make a 3 point turn in our truck to go up one road.

To make a long story short has anyone else ever heard of someone ever making such a comment?

Quote Originally Posted by WaterbryVTfire
    Here's one for us to discuss....
    In my "regular" job as a service rep. for an independent insurance adjuster (we are hired by companies to go look at their customerís damage). Anyway,
    I recently spoke to a person that had a chimney fire. The fire actually was not in the chimney, but surrounding it, so basically it was in the walls. They put it out by chopping into the walls, and using a garden hose.

They did not call the fire department because verbatim "We didn't want them to cause more damage". I heard this and almost choked. But, not as much as the person, when I told them that I was a member of the fire department that would have responded. Incidentally, the location of this home is about 6 miles from the nearest station, and up a narrow and windy mountain road. Where we actually have to make a 3 point turn in our truck to go up one road.

To make a long story short has anyone else ever heard of someone ever making such a comment?
    You should have titled it "Ignorance AND Stupidity"!

It never ceases to amaze me that there are so many people out there that think they can do our jobs better than us.

I've been to a couple of house fires that the homeowner "extinguished" themselves several hours before we got the call.
    Their excuses for not calling us originally, ranged from; "We didn't want the nosy neighbors to wonder why we had the fire dept. here." to "It was just a small fire and we didn't want to bother the fire dept. with it.".

In each case, smoldering fires went undetected until it was too late.

Having a fire in your home may well be an accident you can't foresee or avoid...Not calling the fire department when they are needed is just plain idiotic.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

I've never had anyone complain or comment about causing more damage. We do make a lot of effort to not cause damage to anymore more than we have to. At chiminey fires, we have narrow tarps we put in the hall so we aren't tramppling mud and snow all over their carpets for example. Don't get me wrong, if the fire extends to the house, mud will be the least of our worries, but if it's just in chiminey, there's no reason to make more of a mess. The IC always keeps the homeowner informed of what is happening and what we're doing so they aren't left wondering what we're doing to their house.

The only thing I ever hear consistantly is the homeowner apoligizing up and down for us having to leave our families and come out to fix whatever they messed up. I guess our general public likes us
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Did he have any evidence on which to base his concerns?

They said they re-called a fire YEARS ago, where there was mess made.
    And last year, we responded to a nearby home, and did no damage.

MembersZone Subscriber

One of the tasks of a succesful fire departments is proactive public education.

We do that...our Asst. Chief (that was a Capt. at the time) was given an award for their work in it.

They did not call the fire department because verbatim [B]"We didn't want them to cause more damage"[/B
    Now depending on the situation, maybe there would be more damage or maybe not. As for the 6 min response time, they could have still chopped there house away and used a green line but at least call the FD to check for extension.
    "Training doesn't make you a good fireman, fighting fire makes you a good fireman"
    http://thedarksideof911.blogspot.com/
    FTM-PTB-EGH
    IACOJ

Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

Default I remember.............

A few years ago a family had a chimney fire, we put it out and told them to not a build a fire until they had the flue inspected................Need I say anything else.

Yep, they did............and it went down the second time.
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

MembersZone Subscriber

We do that...our Asst. Chief (that was a Capt. at the time) was given an award for their work in it.
    I didn't say that you didn't do it. I was speaking in general terms.

But you, hopefully, have identified a hole in your PE program that can be filled.

Sorry!! It sounded different when I typed it!! I know what you are getting at though!

Forum Member

We have had people reply that they were too embarrassed to call. I asked them why they would be embarrassed. Just because the candle they were using to drip wax(among other things) during their "fun" time fell over and went unnoticed for a few minutes? Nothing to be embarrassed about. Just kidding, I didnt ask, but I wanted to.

MembersZone Subscriber

I remember a fire I investigated at a university admin. building. Painter was doing work on the facade of the building with a torch. He managed to set fire to the building. The 911 call went like this:

"Hello. Can you send a small fire truck to _____Hall, _____ University? I have a small fire in the wall".

Luckily Capt. Lou's FD sent a few Big trucks and encountered a working fire. This small fire in the wall ended up about a $5 million dollar loss.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    "Hello. Can you send a small fire truck to _____Hall, _____ University? I have a small fire in the wall".

Luckily Capt. Lou's FD sent a few Big trucks and encountered a working fire. This small fire in the wall ended up about a $5 million dollar loss.
    Sounds just like the people who call and say....I have a fire, but please respond with no lights and siren..

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Our dispatchers (who work for the Sheriff's Office) used to have a bad habit of telling us to send "one truck" to investigate things like reports of smoke, alarm activations, and the like. The eventually realized that we're going to send whatever we damn well feel is appropriate, regardless of what they "think" we need to send....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream ó and I hope you don't find this too crazy ó is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    ó C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc
    Our dispatchers (who work for the Sheriff's Office) used to have a bad habit of telling us to send "one truck" to investigate things like reports of smoke, alarm activations, and the like. The eventually realized that we're going to send whatever we damn well feel is appropriate, regardless of what they "think" we need to send....
    Similar to when your responding and the police officier on scene reports a possible chimney fire being out. When you walk into the living room and can't help but notice the bubbled paint around the mantle, and the TIC show s the walls around the fireplace glowing like Chernobyl(sp)!!
    IACOJ Lt-Eng32ine

We had a recent call out for a tree that had fallen into the road and was then struck by a passing vehicle. (This collision pushed the hood up like an accordian & fluids everywhere.) The first police officer on scene said there was no need to fire to respond. The trucks officer replied to dispatch, "Unless he (the PD) has chain saw and speedy dry in his trunk, we will continue to respond". Reasoning....the officer didn't want us to block traffic, and guess where he was parked? You guessed it, blocking traffic in the travel lane!!
    While we parked 3 trucks off the side out of the travelled portion. (3 trucks due the incident was 1/2 way between our two stations, and one responds to all MV incidents).
    From my last understanding the officer in question was given a "talking to'.

Thread Information