MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default This Day In History

THIS DATE IN HISTORY

The U.S.S. Arizona is sunk killing 1,500. December 7, 1941

There are probably two historical dates that every American knows. One is July 4, 1776 - the signing of the Declaration of Independence.

The other is Sunday, December 7, 1941, a date which will live in infamy.

It started at 7:55 A.M. Before night fall, 2,400 Americans had been killed and another 1,200 wounded in the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.

PEARL HARBOR TODAY

Seatbelt Safety By Glenn S. Demby

On this 61 st anniversary of one of the bloodiest days in American history, SafetyXChange would like to salute the U.S. Navy for turning Pearl Harbor into a site where lives are being saved. Every day.

Naval Command has started a new program called "Operation Seatbelt" at the famous Oahu base. It started when base safety personnel discovered that 91 percent of motorists were wearing their seatbelts when exiting base gates. Not bad. But the Navy wants to raise that number to 100 percent.

To accomplish that goal, base security has set up electronic signs reading "Seatbelts save lives - buckle up" at strategic locations around the base. Observers have been designated to monitor compliance. Defensive driving training has also been stepped up, especially for base personnel under 26 years of age. (Nearly two-thirds of sailors killed in crashes of privately owned vehicles on bases were under 25).

The Navy hopes Operation Seatbelt will be a smashing - or rather, a non-smashing - success so it can be applied at other bases across the country and the world.

Author Biography - Doug Carr

Doug Carr worked for the Alberta Workers' Compensation Board for what seems like forever (18 years), primarily managing their most complex and contentious claims and developing innovative methods of resolving these claims. Reacting to injuries and helping people get their lives back can be rewarding, but injury prevention can be more rewarding; so Doug made the switch into the health and safety field in 2001. Currently, Doug is an OHS Consultant in the Education Sector in the Alberta Capital Region. You can email Doug at dougcarr@telus.net.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

This is a neat site with info about Pearl Harbor and firefighting:

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USMC/USMC-C-Pearl.html

We should always remember the sacrifice that our greatest genration made. Also take today to rememeber that we still have brave men and women in the military in harms way.
    We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skwerl530
    This is a neat site with info about Pearl Harbor and firefighting:

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USMC/USMC-C-Pearl.html

We should always remember the sacrifice that our greatest genration made. Also take today to rememeber that we still have brave men and women in the military in harms way.
    Hate to say it, but the current 18-30 year olds fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan are going to be shown to be the new greatest generation, they are dealling with a much tougher war, and none of them were drafted, they are ALL volunteers to help advance freedom abroad, and protect it at home. The reason I hate to say it because my grandfather was in the Navy, stationed at Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941 while my grandmother was home taking care of their infant daughter who grew up to be my mom.

God Bless PopPop and all of your shipmates, and God Speed to all thoughs out there fighting the Good Fight today!
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

"Fair Winds and Following Seas".

Forum Member

On this 61 st anniversary of one of the bloodiest days in American history, SafetyXChange would like to salute the U.S. Navy for turning Pearl Harbor into a site where lives are being saved. Every day.

It happens to be 64 years not 61 years.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer

It happens to be 64 years not 61 years.

Thanks Capt, I'll pass that along, although its likely someone else has already hit on it.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

MembersZone Subscriber

Capt: The response

Richard:

Egads! Thanks for catching the error. Iíve never been good at math.

Glenn Demby

SafetyXChange

Thread Information