MembersZone Subscriber

Default Help controlling the 24' extension ladder during evolution

During our evolutions last night we had to raise and climb a 24' extension ladder. The building has a gutter at the top that extends about a foot from the building and I was having trouble controlling the ladder to extend it above the gutter. I failed the evolution because I didnt have enough control over the ladder. I have to redo it next week and I want to make sure I get it right this time. I dont have a whole lot of upper body strength so I cant wrestle it around as much as some people, but if I can get the proper technique and should be able to do it fine. The instructor told me to put my arms against the ladder and use the halyard to pull the ladder out but I still couldnt get it right. I am going to try to practice before I do the next evolution as well.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Last edited by trailboss2; 12-07-2005 at 12:27 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by trailboss2
    I dont have a whole lot of upper body strength so I cant wrestle it around as much as some people, but if I can get the proper technique and should be able to do it fine.
    First off...work on this!!!!! You need to possess strong upperbody to succeed in this job!!! Anyway....

Basically.....place the butt perpendicular to the bldg and us it as a fulcrum, lift the tip with both hands and grab the beams, palms up, and raise above your head, then walk toward the bldg shuffleing each hand foward, once the ladder is "flush" with the wall, grab a rung at eye level and one at waist level, and pull the butt to get you angle. (remember 1/4 or the working height, is your base). Now...to raise it, get under the ladder, (yes under, not IFO unless you want to be hit with stuff falling from the roof), Grab the halyard, High w/ your dominante arm, WITH THUMBS DOWN, Pull down across your body, and follow up with the other arm and repeat, continue this until achieve your required height....basically, hand over hand, thumbs down......then tie off.

Good Luck....remember...you need to be a strong MF'r on this job....so work on it....just to give you an idea....were I work....many companies require you to be able to throw the 35 footer up...., fly it, and climb it w/ tools....all by yourself. Strength and Heart.....thats what it takes...

Good Luck again....

VinnieB

Forum Member

OH! I forgot....about the 1 foot gutter....find a flush spot on the bldg if you can....raise it and fly it there...then move the ladder.....just flip it....beam over beam, to the spot you want to get to. and if there is not place for that......then estimate the height and fly it on the ground....then throw the bit*ch up.....if you are operating in a tight area, like an ally....then lay the ladder parrallel to the bldg...then do the above techniques...

Good Luck...

MembersZone Subscriber

I think your way may be easier than the way we were taught. We were taught to beam the ladder flat against the wall, extend the fly section, then set your angle and tie off. So using the method in order to get past the gutter you actually have the almost completly extended ladder going against you as you try to extend the fly section past the gutter.

Forum Member

In a 2 man raise.....which is obviously easier, once you raise it, you fly it then place against the wall.

In a one man raise....it doesn't have to be pretty,,,,just get the bi*ch up there....and if you scrap the wall with the ladder on the raise....so be it....also....and if you exert enough force....the tip of the ladder will blast right through modern gutters....and if the gutter doesn't come off...then when you get up there....knock the sh*t out of it until its out of your way....one pull should do it.....alll bets are off if you encounter Yankee Gutters.....

To me Firefighting is an art....and that alllows you to be creative and possess your own artistic license.....use the books as a good base...then build from them....and so as long as you effectivley do your job w/o getting hurt....who gives a flying puck how you got there.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by VinnieB; 12-07-2005 at 06:36 PM.

Forum Member

If you work at it, you can put one foot on the bottom rung, and pull the ladder out with the halyard as you pull it to extend it, clearing the obsticle. It sounds tricky, but if you practice it it is very easy. I use it anytime I need to extend a fly section and Im alone. Work on the strenth though....a 24' ladder(assuming its aluminum) should'nt be that heavy.

Another tip. after the ladder is up, and you need to move it a short didtance, roll it along the wall. It is easy and can be done by one person.

Also, if you're in a tight ally or driveway, and alone, use the basement window as a butt to help get it up alone.

Thread Information