Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member
    Smack dab in the middle of Central Illinois

Default Light & Air Trailer

I believe this has been asked/answered before, but I don't have time right now to look it up.

Is a mobile light and air TRAILER considered equipment or a vehicle? My department has considered applying for one to serve our County and MABAS division, but we have already received a vehicle grant.

MembersZone Subscriber

The mobile light/air trailer would be considered equipment.

Do it as a "regional project" with ample cooperation from your area mutual aid departments signing on as participants and you willhave better luck with this.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

FH Mag/.com Contributor

"Regional project" meaning mention the regional benefits of course. Pieces of equipment like this that will only sit in one station don't come across well as jointly funded, just mention how it will be used for the region including the number of agencies that will utilize it. This is also why trailers tend to fare better than station mounted units.

Thanks for that clarification Brian; at 4:30 AM the thought process was not quite engaged fully since "coffee pot" #1 was still untapped.
    Kurt Bradley

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I knew what you meant only because I already had my first cup of java on board. Was wondering what you were doing at 0430 KWU (keyboarding while uncaffienated).

Cold front and the rain arrived at the same time here and that always triggers the "oh my aching back syndrome" and forget trying to fight it and sleep. Gotta get up and get moving to counter it or hit the hot tub, and at 46 degrees, that was not a viable option at 4:30AM on the back porch.
    Kurt Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by SWFD94
    My department has considered applying for one to serve our County and MABAS division
    SWFD where in Central IL are you at? What MABAS Division?

Have you thought about contacting MABAS? There may be some funds available through them for this unit. I'm not 100% on that though, but it's worth a phone call or e-mail. Let me know if I can be of any help

Ryan Allison
    President
    Illinois & Indiana Firefighters Association

Forum Member
    Smack dab in the middle of Central Illinois

South Wheatland is in Decatur, IL. We are part of MABAS Division 46. I have not considered the MABAS group for funding, hadn't even thought of it. Don't mean to stir anything, but I would worry that they would want to give it to Decatur, and I would rather see it go to one of the County departments who would be easier to work with and would have an easier time getting it out to rural areas (not a union thing there, just City management rules/bureaucratic procedures).

Sorry for taking so long to get back with you. I will try again later on as well.

I would look into MABAS a little more. It doesn't hurt to ask about it. I understand the politic thing, but worse case scenario is if you ask about it and they give it to Decauter then at least you have one in the area you can request. If MABAS were to give it to them then they have to make it available to the other MABAS departments. That's the constiuency behind these agreements. It just like here in Vermilion County. MABAS just gave a 3/4 million dollar HAZ-MAT tech trailer to Danville Fire. That's great because it's going to a full time department and even though Danville may have their own political issues, they will have to make it available to other departments because they agreed to with MABAS. And you can bet the first time they say no and don't have a solid reason to stand on, we will be on the horn with MABAS letting them know. Then in the mean time you can continue to look for your own. But realistically I couldn't see how they would give it to someone else if you were the ones requesting it. Again, I don't know all there is to know about MABAS and what there is available but if I were you I would do some more digging.
    Last edited by Not2L84U2; 12-09-2005 at 08:46 PM.

Thread Information