Forum Member

Default Which trucks can your post ride out on?

There is an issue in my post right now about which trucks we are allowed to ride on. We just got to where we are actually able to ride out but now some people are having problems with it. Most everyone is ok with it but some are upset. Just wondering which trucks your posts are allowed to ride out on. Right now it looks like we may be narrowed down to the Tanker and Squad. I dont see a problem with an Engine or second or third run brush trucks if there is a command already set up. Besides all we have is engines, brush trucks, tanker and a squad. But, any way just wondering.

Forum Member

Cool

My fire company lets any junior memeber 16 or older ride out on any of our trucks; tankers, pumpers, and rescue trucks

Forum Member

Anything and everything baby!

Ladder, Heavy Rescue, Tankers, Engines, Brush Trucks, Squad, ATV's...you name it, we can respond with it!

One company over is under 18 you can only ride on the rescue and have to be 18 for any other truck.

Forum Member

Im talking about specifically junior firefighters under 18. Originally we could ride on any truck.

Forum Member

at my department, we (juniors 16-17yrs old) can respond on any of the trucks, engine, ladder, rescue, tanker, squad (must have your EMT first), everything.
    Last edited by Slaytallica45; 12-08-2005 at 07:25 AM.
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

Forum Member

The Juniors at my Volunteer Company basically can ride out on any piece providing there is a seat open. We have Two Engines {One which is an Engine/Rescue} a ladder and a light rescue / utility. It is perfered that the juniors ride out on the utility but much as the case we usually have open seats on the other pieces. If a senior member comes in at the last minute he / she can "bump" that junior from the truck but usually it doesn't happen.

I'm a career firefighter for a mainly volunteer department where again basically the same rule applies for thier juniors. They are to don thier gear and place them-selves by the passenger side of the responding apparatus and await the OIC to give them permission to get on. General Rule is one Junior per truck but I've driven out with more than one junior but no less than a qualified crew of interior firefighters. I say if the seat{s} are open jump on and join the effort. One day you will be certified interior guys and girls and you should get the exposure now while you can.

Just be safe and use common sense when you do it.

Forum Member

We get to use a heavy squad for alot of our training. In the case of a real call, we do not ride out on the apparatus to the calls unless specified by the Chief or IC. Chances of this ever happening are slim, so yeah, that'd be no trucks that we can ride out to calls on.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Almost, any and every one, with basic training. but some require specific training, like the brush truck or the boat.

Forum Member

Default depends..

we are allowed to ride on Engines and Trucks. We are not allowed to ride with any Chiefs or Paramedic Vans. Most Trucks in the department i am in only seat 4 people, and there are only a couple trucks out of our MANY to seat 3, and those are slow stations so i dont bother...I prefer to ride on paramedic engines(4 people on engine-6 seats total) that way i get to see and do more skills that have to do with the patient. Engines in my department that are just BLS have only 3 people-with 6 seats. I like riding on 3-man engines because i get my own jumpseat but those rigs dont stay onscene very long because they hand the scene over to the personel on the medic van or engine.

Forum Member

None.

RFRDxplorer, when did that change? I thought you could go on anything.

Forum Member

we aren't able to ride anything except in the cheifs car for now. there are some officers in the dept trying to get that changed though

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffexpCP
    None.

RFRDxplorer, when did that change? I thought you could go on anything.

It's been that way since I got on. Theoretically, it is possible. In reality, it will never happen.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer
    It's been that way since I got on. Theoretically, it is possible. In reality, it will never happen.

that really sucks, if there is an extra seat on the apparatus and you have the training required/even know whats on the truck, i would think its better to fill the empty seat with a junior than just leave with it still empty
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slaytallica45
    that really sucks, if there is an extra seat on the apparatus and you have the training required/even know whats on the truck, i would think its better to fill the empty seat with a junior than just leave with it still empty

Yeah it would be nice, but it's alright with me. But our dept doesn't roll a truck unless they have enough guys or they are told to bring out the truck without being fully staffed.

MembersZone Subscriber

our Explorers are allowed to ride in any empty seat after they have taken a test on that truck showing that they would be able to help should it be needed. they can always be bumped by a full member or the officer on that vehicle. they are never allowed to ride in the ambulance or on medical calls that require/request the chase vehicle for backup.
    the motto of every midnight shift dispatcher - "I'm up - You're up"

Forum Member

When I was an Explorer at the fire department in the big city where I grew up, they wouldn't even consider allowing us to ride out on anything. In fact, the firefighters had very little to do with us at all.

Now that I'm the chief of a small fire & EMS district department, I allow my explorers to ride on any company, provided there is a seat available, limit of 1 explorer per company. In hindsight, I would have given my left "you-know-what" to have that opportunity when I was an explorer.

Forum Member

the dept. where I'm an explorer at allows us to ride out on everything except the chief's cars.
    Last edited by EXPKevin; 12-11-2005 at 04:34 AM. Reason: spelling

MembersZone Subscriber

We ride on the Engine , Truck and ( Ambulance 18 and older with an EMT or CPR card ) as long as we get the training we're good to go .

MembersZone Subscriber

When I first started as an expl. about 6 years ago (im fully cert. now and a firefighter in iraq) we got to ride every truck we had. We have a small dept. back home, but we had 2 engines 3 boxes and 2 bruck trucks. If they had an open seat we got on. If they were full we got on the next truck in. It just all depends on the fire dept. you are on with. In some cases it does make sense for an officer or crew to say stay. But where I came from there were a few guys who thought we didnt belong and were there just to wash trucks, sweep and mop ect. Looking back I cant say I think I enjoyed doing all the free labor. Im glad I got to have an active ride with the FD at such an early age. I got to do everything but make an interior attack, so I was happy. They always told me it was a privilege, not a right to be there. I hated that. You are going to have those people. If you get to go to a fire, then be happy. If you get to be on the first in comp. be very happy. If you have to stay at the station and help clean when the trucks get back, cant say be happy, lol, but maybe next time. I wont tell you to just suck it up and take it if stuff happens like that. I dont think it is right for the paid guys to treat the younger guys like they sometimes do. But they have paid dues to get where they are. Firefighters are some of the most ugly people when it comes to firefighting and exploring. Im for it, others are not. Hope that everyone gets a good ride and has a good time.

Bobby Hill

Forum Member

here in my dept you must know where every tool is on every truck before you can ride out on it. you must also pass a written exam with an 80%too. we have 17 pices of appuratus and are allowed to ride out on any of them. we have 3 engines,4rescues/ambulances, 3 brush trucks, 1 heavy rescue, 1 squad, 1 tanker, 1 staff car, 1 utillity, and 2 cheifs cars. we can also respond with ff's in their pov's.
    IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbobbyhill
    When I first started as an expl. about 6 years ago (im fully cert. now and a firefighter in iraq) we got to ride every truck we had. We have a small dept. back home, but we had 2 engines 3 boxes and 2 bruck trucks. If they had an open seat we got on. If they were full we got on the next truck in. It just all depends on the fire dept. you are on with. In some cases it does make sense for an officer or crew to say stay. But where I came from there were a few guys who thought we didnt belong and were there just to wash trucks, sweep and mop ect. Looking back I cant say I think I enjoyed doing all the free labor. Im glad I got to have an active ride with the FD at such an early age. I got to do everything but make an interior attack, so I was happy. They always told me it was a privilege, not a right to be there. I hated that. You are going to have those people. If you get to go to a fire, then be happy. If you get to be on the first in comp. be very happy. If you have to stay at the station and help clean when the trucks get back, cant say be happy, lol, but maybe next time. I wont tell you to just suck it up and take it if stuff happens like that. I dont think it is right for the paid guys to treat the younger guys like they sometimes do. But they have paid dues to get where they are. Firefighters are some of the most ugly people when it comes to firefighting and exploring. Im for it, others are not. Hope that everyone gets a good ride and has a good time.

Bobby Hill
    Hey Bobby!! Where's your dad? Tell him to stop screwing around down in Rustamiya and get on these forums! We just got his boss here, Captain Strickland is here filling in for our chief. I'm meeting the whole King of the Hill cast here!

Forum Member

since our department is fire/ems we go out on whatever is responding. if its a medical call we hop on the medic. if its a fire i personally usually hop on our first out and main engine. at our department if its a real fire you can garuntee the front seat, cause most of our firefighters like trying to pack up in the front seat.

Forum Member

My post cannot ride out on any truck to a call. The only time we use a truck is for our traning drills, or a special event (Mock disasters, etc). It's kind of dissappointing that we can't. Once upon a time, rumor was that Explorer's could, but it was a few years before any of the current Explorers joined. There is some random thing that in the event of a major ordeal, Explorers can be called on the aid our Department, but the chances of that are pretty slim to none.

Forum Member

at are station you can ride on anything we start out at 15yrs old we dont care dont need to have anything special first gets pick

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rcfd3534
    at are station you can ride on anything we start out at 15yrs old we dont care dont need to have anything special first gets pick
    So if the first 2 or 3 people at the station is a 15y/o with no expierence, and no training, they can jump on the first due? that dosent sound safe if you roll up and it is a worker.
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

Thread Information