Thread: Info on Truck

Forum Member

Default Info on Truck

I am looking for any additional information, including pictures of this truck...

http://fire.kovatch.com/Default.aspx...RC=8&wildRP=12

It's a hell of a rig and I'd like to find out more about it!

Any info would be appreciated.
    Last edited by medicmaster; 12-08-2005 at 05:33 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would try contacting the FD Directly (BTW - there is one additional picture on their apparatus page)
    http://www.mechanicstownfd.com

Or contact KME and ask for a copy of the drawings - you already have the job number on the picture.

Best of luck & happy hunting.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Engine 122

Hey,
    That department's truck was at the Harrisburg show, mighty nice lookin' rig. It's a top mount enclosed pump.You know, the pump controls in the crew cab.
    I believe it's got a cascade system on-board. I was told it carries 2500 gallons of water. It's got a foam system, I don't know how much. It's got a computer in the officer's seat, and a really expensive CD player. It has 2 command lights in the top, and coffin compartments over the hosebed. Mechanicstown FD is located about 20 minutes away from me. It's all volunteer, but covers almost all of the retail centers of Orange County, NY.
    For more pictures and info, check out:
    www.ocnyfire.com
    www.hves.us

The first site is all of the rigs of orange county. The second site is by a guy named David Weimer, he's an incident photographer.

Forum Member

They're about 10 minutes from me. I can probably get you more info, I went to some classes with one of their asst. chiefs.

From what I've been told, the truck has been Out of service more than it has been in service. They were in front of us at a procession a few months ago when they first got that rig, and it wouldn't start!

Forum Member

I would worry about getting a rig from KME with all thoes bells and whistles. There are a Lot of things to break on that truck.
    Any idea how much it cost?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ledebuhr1
    I would worry about getting a rig from KME with all thoes bells and whistles. There are a Lot of things to break on that truck.
    Any idea how much it cost?
    I'll find out, but Mechanicstown is notorious for having big $$$ to spend on bells and whistles.

Forum Member

Default $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I heard that it was just shy of $ 1,000,000.00 equipped.
    Fyrtrks

Forum Member

That is one NICE rig!
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by firefightergtp
    From what I've been told, the truck has been Out of service more than it has been in service. They were in front of us at a procession a few months ago when they first got that rig, and it wouldn't start!
    We have the same problem with the rigs where I work (Pierce)....everything is electronic and computerized, and we are constantly having something break (usually something minor, like a valve won't operate or something like that)....I find the whole thing is just overly complicated...the more gizmos and gadgets you slap onto a truck, the more can go wrong, and it will choose to go wrong at the most inopportune time. More apparatus manufacturers should follow the KISS philosophy.....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Default truck

I heard that at a funeral procession, the power steering kicked in too late and hit another rig. I heard this system kicks in after a certain degree of your turn. The rumor floating around is that the rig cost upwards of $1,000,000.

Forum Member

I think a million is a lot for that truck. I would like to know if KME was low bid. I have seen a lot of pumper/tankers with a lot of bells and whistles for a lot less. Around here, you would never get a million dollar rig approved by the council, unless it was a tower, or a Bronto.

Forum Member

Looking at that rig, compared to something like Fallon's..... Seems like a million is quite high. Their rigs have alot more bells and whistles, alot more customization, and added features (IE: the aerials), were only like 650,000$

How does this truck come in at a million?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

Anyone here know a Fallon FF? Thoes rigs are about 10years old and I would like to know how they have held up. They certianly have a lot of things to break.

I think it is possible to have a high-end rig and have it reliable. It needs to be well engineered and have quality parts. Even simple rigs can be unreliable.

Forum Member

Looks like we arnt the only ones talking about that truck. I guess it cost 850k and not 1 mill. I still think 850k is WAY high.

http://www.pikecoemergency.com/forum...read.php?t=325
    http://centralpafire.com/forum/view_...&jump_to=34169

Forum Member

I wanna say i herd somewhere that it was 850-900K....

Forum Member

Wow, and not a Long Island Rig!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default mechanicstown

see, you have to know their reputation. they are known for going all out on their rigs. they have alot of things that aren't necessarily needed for everyday ops. that's probably why it cost over $1 million.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ledebuhr1
    I think a million is a lot for that truck. I would like to know if KME was low bid. I have seen a lot of pumper/tankers with a lot of bells and whistles for a lot less. Around here, you would never get a million dollar rig approved by the council, unless it was a tower, or a Bronto.

After looking at their website...looks like most of their rigs are KME, so it sounds like they are going for consistency, not low-bid.

$1,000,000?! I was figuring $600K at the most....although it is a hell of a truck.

Forum Member

Default Stories are great, but here is the truth.

Chief of Mechanicstown Fire Department here. Let me try to dispell some of the untrue rumors about my new engine. The truck has been in service for less than a year. Like all my other KME trucks, it has been an excellent truck to us. There were a few bugs to be worked out when we first got the truck, but very minor things only. If we can all be honest, this is the way with all trucks, regardless of manufacturer. The only time this truck has been out of service for more than a day, or was damaged and taken out of service for more than a day was completely due to operator error. The minor problems that we have experienced, we contacted the service department and they fixed them immediately. The service department at KME, contrary to popular belief, is world class. We have owned KME apparatus for many years, and they have served us well in all areas. We have two maintenance people on staff in the firehouse, and they work with KME and the people who now handle Saulsbury (E-One). They are the only two types of apparatus we have. Hands down, they recommend KME apparatus and KME service over E-One. All of our KME trucks have served us well, and we are happy with everything that KME has helped us to design. The bells and whistles as everyone calls them, were all desigend and thought out for a reason, and no it's not to look good in a parade. This truck was desigend to try and help with my manpower problems. I can no longer get three and four trucks out the door to every call. When i do get an engine out, it has to bring me everything I need. We also cover two major interstates that have no water supply or ability to easily get additional apparatus into the scene once we have arrived and closed traffic. This truck was designed so we do not need as many pieces of apparatus on the interstates, and it has served us well. We also cover a major retail and industrial corridor. It is imperative that the first due engine bring me manpower and equipment to do the job. We spent two years designing this truck, like we did our tower ladder.
    everything is there for a reason. The engine came completely equipped with everything brand new. The equipment from the replacement piece of apparatus that we sold was kept and put in service fior training use only. We train hard and often, so I decided that the SCBA"S and other equipment on the truck should stay there and we could use our training equipment to train and back up if something is broken or lost from an in service truck. The purchase of all of our loose equipment (SCBA'S, TIC, Laptop computer, Handtools, Hose, Etc.) all went into the price of this truck. The truck with all loose equipment was $800,000.00. It may seem high until you break it down. The SCBA's alone were over $65,000.00. I hope this helps everyone understand that things are not always as they appear, or you heard a rumor about. We tend to do things a little different in Mechanicstown, but we do them to fit our needs and protect our district. Looking outside the "box" is not always the wrong thing. It has been working for us for several years. Just approaching a thousand calls this year, no ems at all, and we roll KME on every call, and yes we swear by them. As we speak right now, we are working on anothe unique piece of equipment, and I hope KME gets the bid to build it. From sales to service and everything in the middle, KME has been the way to go. A very satisfied customer. www.mechanicstownfd.com. - stop by and see our apparatus.
    The Chief

Forum Member

Chief,
    KME should put you on thier payroll, you seem to be one of the few that praises them so much. Most people complain about their reliablity.
    Your needs in a first out pumper don't sound unusual. Many small departments want a "do-it-all" truck. Did you look at Fallon NV FD trucks? They have an ISO of 1 and are voulenteer. Their trucks were A LOT less that yours and I think have as many "bells and whistles". Was KME low bid? I would just worry about the reliability of all thoes features. For example, not many trucks with that rear stearing axel or electronic valve controlls.

Forum Member

Here is Fallons rigs,

http://www.geocities.com/ecburtblue33/iindex.html

Look at engine 700 from Ovilla Fire. Look under apparatus,then Engine 700
    http://www.ovillafire.org/

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mecfd29
    Chief of Mechanicstown Fire Department here. Let me try to dispell some of the untrue rumors about my new engine. The truck has been in service for less than a year. Like all my other KME trucks, it has been an excellent truck to us. There were a few bugs to be worked out when we first got the truck, but very minor things only. If we can all be honest, this is the way with all trucks, regardless of manufacturer. The only time this truck has been out of service for more than a day, or was damaged and taken out of service for more than a day was completely due to operator error. The minor problems that we have experienced, we contacted the service department and they fixed them immediately. The service department at KME, contrary to popular belief, is world class. We have owned KME apparatus for many years, and they have served us well in all areas. We have two maintenance people on staff in the firehouse, and they work with KME and the people who now handle Saulsbury (E-One). They are the only two types of apparatus we have. Hands down, they recommend KME apparatus and KME service over E-One. All of our KME trucks have served us well, and we are happy with everything that KME has helped us to design. The bells and whistles as everyone calls them, were all desigend and thought out for a reason, and no it's not to look good in a parade. This truck was desigend to try and help with my manpower problems. I can no longer get three and four trucks out the door to every call. When i do get an engine out, it has to bring me everything I need. We also cover two major interstates that have no water supply or ability to easily get additional apparatus into the scene once we have arrived and closed traffic. This truck was designed so we do not need as many pieces of apparatus on the interstates, and it has served us well. We also cover a major retail and industrial corridor. It is imperative that the first due engine bring me manpower and equipment to do the job. We spent two years designing this truck, like we did our tower ladder.
    everything is there for a reason. The engine came completely equipped with everything brand new. The equipment from the replacement piece of apparatus that we sold was kept and put in service fior training use only. We train hard and often, so I decided that the SCBA"S and other equipment on the truck should stay there and we could use our training equipment to train and back up if something is broken or lost from an in service truck. The purchase of all of our loose equipment (SCBA'S, TIC, Laptop computer, Handtools, Hose, Etc.) all went into the price of this truck. The truck with all loose equipment was $800,000.00. It may seem high until you break it down. The SCBA's alone were over $65,000.00. I hope this helps everyone understand that things are not always as they appear, or you heard a rumor about. We tend to do things a little different in Mechanicstown, but we do them to fit our needs and protect our district. Looking outside the "box" is not always the wrong thing. It has been working for us for several years. Just approaching a thousand calls this year, no ems at all, and we roll KME on every call, and yes we swear by them. As we speak right now, we are working on anothe unique piece of equipment, and I hope KME gets the bid to build it. From sales to service and everything in the middle, KME has been the way to go. A very satisfied customer. www.mechanicstownfd.com. - stop by and see our apparatus.
    The Chief
    Chief-

Kudos to you and your department for designing what appears to be a very functional piece of apparatus. After checking out your website, you have a fleet to be proud of, and your citizens should be proud to have such well designed trucks protecting them.

I would love to see our department have a rig like that...but I doubt we'd ever be able to afford it. Thanks for all of the info though!
    Jack of all trades, master of none.

Live Green, Go Yellow!

Join the forums at www.ambulass.com!

Forum Member

Default Low bid?

The question keeps coming up if this truck was low bid? Yes it was. Approx. $150,000.00 under pierce. No other companies put in a bid. Just for some other info. This is our first truck with the rear stear, and it has taken some training to get used to, but it works beautiful, and really has allowed us to get the truck places that we would not have gotten it otherwise. The electronic valve controls we have been using in our other trucks for since 1994, and we have never had one fail.Oh yeah, before i forget, the truck never went to a funeral and did not start. I wish I was on the KME payroll, but I am not. Just telling you the truth, from our standpoint KME works for us. We have had BEAM, FMC, E-One, and Saulsbury over the last fifteen years or so, and the last 4 trucks we bought were KME and the next one will be a KME. We tried to get pierce and seagrave involved with our tower ladder, but seagrave was not interested, they were to busy, and pierce was thrown out of our firehouse by the fire district for being so terrible to work with and lying about the truck bid. It was a real scene. Something like I had never seen before. Almost physically had to be removed. They really tried to screw up the entire process because they don't like KME, but they got caught red handed. The day will never come when you will see a pierce truck in these quarters. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to All!!!

Be safe Brothers!
    Train as if your Life Depends on It, Because it Does!!!!

The Chief

Forum Member

If Pierce bid $150k over what KME did, then I would assume it was a "no thank you" bid. Ill bet Pierce dident want to do it, that is why they bid so high.

Best of luck with your new truck and have a safe new year.

MembersZone Subscriber

Not to criticize, but it just seems that Mechanicstown could have gotten a much more functional apparatus for the amount of money they spent - I have seen much cheaper apparatus that seem more functional than this one. It just looks like a lot of time was spent getting the ingredients, but nobody took the time to cook it properly.

A few examples:

-$800,000 but no CAFS, when the goal is to have an all purpose apparatus in low-manpower situations? Doesn't seem logical.

-Light tower (or is it two?), which (at best) will be put up several minutes into the operation, but no fixed floodlighting on all four sides, activated from the cab, so that crews have light BEFORE they go to work - not five minutes later.

-Top-mount, enclosed pump panel, which (besides destroying your cab layout, lengthening your wheelbase, and raising the price tag significantly) requires your engineer to open a door and jump up and down every time he/she has to do something else? If these are low-manpower situations, what about connecting supply lines, helping the crews pull/flake out attack lines, setting up portable scene lighting, helping with ground ladders, assisting with horizontal ventilation, setting up traffic control, etc?

-Rear steering axle (I can only guess on $$$), when the wheelbase could have been shortened fairly easily to reduce turn radius for free: shorter cab (with no top-mount panel), shorter pump panel, better compartment layout, heck - why not rear-mount pump?

-Custom equipment mounting, with seemingly no logic behind it: yes, everything has a bracket, but task oriented equipment isn't stored together, equipment deployment isn't ergonomical, space is wasted, etc.

-Dual hydraulic racks, when much lower tech and low manpower-friendly options exist.

-Preconnects stored so high that you need to climb on the apparatus to deploy or repack them, with no good way to get to the top?

I admire their efforts, but in terms of functionality per $, it just doesn't seem that this piece of apparatus ranks very high up there.

Nevertheless, I hope that the new rig is working out for the department. Experiences, changes, things you would have done differently, Chief?

Thread Information