Forum Member

Default Front Bumper pics

We are in the process of writing specs for a new rescue pumper. Does anyone have any pictures of extended front bumpers with HRT reel and tool built in? We may also want a trash line and front intake if space permits. Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

I have just the truck for you. Let me see if I can come up with some pics and I will get back with you.
    "Training doesn't make you a good fireman, fighting fire makes you a good fireman"
    http://thedarksideof911.blogspot.com/
    FTM-PTB-EGH
    IACOJ

FH Mag/.com Contributor

It's an HDR with 250gpm/250gal tank, not a rescue/pumper like you're wanting but no reason it couldn't be done on one. This would be the bumper Johnny is talking about. Pics are floating around other forums around here, I posted them up a while ago when we took delivery.

Finally, I can say I beat someone from 2's to something.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Forum Member

I kee[ trying to upload an image, but I receive error messages (yes the file is smaller than the limits). Anyway, if you use this link you can see a photo:
    Edgewood KY - Bumper with tool.

Forum Member

Doesn't Fallon Nevada have rescue tools, reels, and multiple front lines on their bumpers?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BC79er
    It's ok, as long it wasn't someone from that station in the middle!!
    "Training doesn't make you a good fireman, fighting fire makes you a good fireman"
    FTM-PTB-EGH
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

I found this site a while back. http://www.northgreecefire.com

Click on the "Station / Apparatus" link at the top of the page. Then scroll down the page, under Station One is a list of units. Click on the link to "Rescue 278", then click on the single picture which takes you to additional pics -- many of them!! There is one with a great view of the bumper configuration.

Hope this helps.

MembersZone Subscriber

It's an HDR with 250gpm/250gal tank, not a rescue/pumper like you're wanting but no reason it couldn't be done on one. This would be the bumper Johnny is talking about. Pics are floating around other forums around here, I posted them up a while ago when we took delivery.

jmitchel, i didnt realize you were from community in the introduction forum. i am daves dispatcher over at clemc. nice to meet yall

Forum Member

Thanks for the replys / photos. Does anyone operate with a tool in the bumper? we are specing a "standard" engine first, with extrication capabilities. This does not have to be a rolling toolbox as we have a heavy rescue located in the opposite end of town. Any / all suggestions will be appreciated.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

275fbvfd, nice to meet you also. Hope you get a raise for working with DW. Just kidding.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by 275fbvfd
    jmitchel, i didnt realize you were from community in the introduction forum. i am daves dispatcher over at clemc. nice to meet yall
    Nice to meet you too.

Hey speaking of CLEMC, was wondering if you guys charge for Pt. Refusals. We were out on our boat in Kemah a few weeks ago and had to call an ambulance for my wife but we refused. Just wondering if I will get a bill in the mail. There was something on the news a while back that listed ambulance services who charge for refusals and I beleive CLEMC was on that list.
    Last edited by jmitchell; 12-09-2005 at 09:44 AM.
    FTM-PTB-EGH
    IACOJ

dazed and confused

This would be the bumper Johnny is talking about.
    Everytime I see that drop-front for the hose... I fall in love again.

hehe
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

Looks good, any more ideas???

Forum Member

Why do they put the elbows on the inlets and discharges on a bumper? Why not just pipe it straight, eliminating some of the friction loss?
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default tools in front bumper

we just ordered our rescue pumper with tools pre-connected in the front bumper and with a spot to hold the ram. we didn't go for the trashline but we know that it can be done we got our truck through csi in grayling michigan, great custom trucks. csiea.com
    michael umphrey
    captain higgins twp fire/rescue/ems
    roscommon,mi

Forum Member

100' preconnected Amkus combi tool, 100' dead lay trash line, assortment of extrication related hand tools.

Don't be tempted to preconnect your trash line, if you charge it inside the bumper you'll drastically slow down your response time on scene getting that hatch open and the hose out. We dead lay ours with the female end at the front so the operator can pull it to the pump panel before it gets pulled from the tray.

Consider that when you open the bumper lid you're gonna block the head lights, if that's your only forward scene lighting get brown lights on the cab.

Res343cue, a single elbow does not make much friction loss, on the other hand it allows the hose to not kink as its pulled in different directions.

Good luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Fire304; 12-12-2005 at 10:22 PM.
    ______________________________ __________________
    If you are new to posting please CLICK HERE for an essential lesson
    A bad day in the boat is better than a good day in the office. And in my case the office is a boat!

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't be tempted to preconnect your trash line, if you charge it inside the bumper you'll drastically slow down your response time on scene getting that hatch open and the hose out. We dead lay ours with the female end at the front so the operator can pull it to the pump panel before it gets pulled from the tray.
    Just install a water thief on the discharge under the hood, and you never need to worry about accidental charging - you can't charge the line if you can't pull the handle!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire304
    100' preconnected Amkus combi tool, 100' dead lay trash line, assortment of extrication related hand tools.

Consider that when you open the bumper lid you're gonna block the head lights, if that's your only forward scene lighting get brown lights on the cab.

Res343cue, a single elbow does not make much friction loss, on the other hand it allows the hose to not kink as its pulled in different directions.

Good luck!
    That's one heck of a setup!!

Nice rig!
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire304
    Looking at most of the front bumper inlets, it's a 90* elbow off the top of the bumper, so I can only assume that it's atleast 1 more 90* elbow somewhere below that to bring it back to the pump. With BC79er's setup, it appears to just be a straight shot through the bumper, eliminating atleast 2 of the elbows.

I doubt they add alot of friction loss, but when you're drafting, it could kill.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

BC79er,

Any more pics of the drop front bumper opening? I would like to see what type of latch they used to keep it from opening when you dident want it to.

Forum Member

Ah, Res343cue I had not realized that was the pipe. There of course would be loss on any change of direction, but compaired to the loss of the hose its pretty minor and would not prevent you from pumping the hose to capacity.

RFRDxplorer, thank you, Resq14 was largely responsible for the layout. It is very efficient, we have almost everything we need for most accidents right there (only we can't fit are the step chocks).

Aside from the already mentioned tool and hose, the inventory includes:
    Glass Master
    Paint marking stick (for hot zone line, etc)
    2 TFT Res Q Wrenches (mainly for punches and seat belt cutters, also for breaking down)
    Adjustible wrench
    GMC battery terminal tool (very handy)
    Generic battery side terminal tool
    6 in 1 screw driver
    Roll electrical tape
    Hood release tool (cuts into the cable if you can't get into the car)
    Lineman's pliers
    Heavy copper cable cutter
    Hack saw w/spare blades

There is also a large space below the combi tool which I think has some chains in there but we realy don't use the space.

BlitzfireSolo, you're right about the point of use valve, you could even spec a ball valve there, but then that requires somebody to stand by to charge the line (or the operator to go back to the bumper). I still prefer having the trash line in the pump panel step, a double roll, ready to pull off the side of the truck and save the space under the hood for more tools (and maybe those step chocks).
    If you are new to posting please CLICK HERE for an essential lesson
    A bad day in the boat is better than a good day in the office. And in my case the office is a boat!

IACOJ Fire Boat 1

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Ledebuhr, I've got more I just have to find them. I've been using the down time to do my yearly nuke of the computers so it may take a bit. Luckjly, I'm off tomorrow too.

The lid is held down with two post and rubber strap hooks, the usual t-handled suckers that they use for such purposes. The plate that the combie tool is mounted to is held to the bumper with the flat-mount swivel locks, so we can take it off to repack the hose if needed. Most of the time we just accordion it in from the front.

Thread Information