MembersZone Subscriber

Default A Different take on POV's

Here is another we can discuss...
    We have all seen the the cars & trucks, with the low profile tires, spoilers, paint jobs etc...
    What do people think? Meaning, that if you ph*ck up (not even responding to a call) & people recognize that car as being associated with local ABC Rescue/Hooterville Fire. What should happen to the offending driver?
    A former Capt. of mine was very much against drawing any un do attention to yourself or service. And requested to the memebership that a persons light permit be pulled or suspended if you were issued a ticket for a motor vehicle violation.

Brian

"Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught."
    Winston Churchill

Forum Member

I hafta agree with that. I mean this is MY area now. Im not into import racers but I used to work for StreetGlow, and if you know sport compact, then you know we were very big with neon lighting. We also made strobe lights. I hafta gree that if yer into sport compact and yer racing around with yer NOS system and yer stereo booming doing illegal things, then yeah you should lose yer blue light permit.

I dont think you should lose it if you get 1-2 speeding tickets, but if your caught drag racing down the street... or your caught doing things that your average joe isnt pulled over for, then yeah lose it. Because it will give responders a bad name.

We already get a bad rep from some of the old timers who THINK we are speeding down the street when our lights are on. I think they did a study and it was posted in another forum here, they had cars respond down the road with lights on and lights off, they all went same speed limit. People thought they were speeding with lights on.

But back to point on hand, they already draw enough attention and put a bad taste in a lot of law enforcements/publics eyes. Now im ALL for modifying your vehicle i mean hey myt ruck is modified (mostly electronic accessories) and i can understand the passion and the feeling it gives ya. But if your involved in public safety and your just REALLLLY being a dumbass and racing down the road CONSTANTLY for fun with your buddies, blowing lights, doing drag races and burnouts, then yeah your just asking for trouble.
    Adam, EMT-B

Forum Member

Editted.
    Last edited by Res343cue; 06-07-2006 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Users calling chiefs bitching about this. :rolleyes:
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default That little sticker on your window is all it takes.

Identifies you with the fire service in general, and your station in particular. If the safety of everyone on the road is not cause enough for you to drive safely, hopefully the reputation of your department and fellow firefighters is...

And by "you" I don't mean anyone specific here, just that generic "you".
    -------;- "Aaaaa!!"
    Remember - always wear your helmet around one-eyed women with pike poles

Forum Member

I dont think this kinda thread will stir up stuff Chris... diff topic then the unmentionable one

Another thing i wanted to add, it'd be same as a police officer in a car when a sticker ID'ing his department. If hes out on the road in his POV racing around breaking the law, i know for sure townspeople would have a fit and mention something and im sure he'd get in trouble.

Thats why our squad members are NOT allowed inside a bar with ANY squad identification on. We just don't want to be associated with certain things. Funny thing is, one of our stickers is at the local young/hip bar hangout nearby, hehe ironic isnt it.
    Adam, EMT-B

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam07003
    Thats why our squad members are NOT allowed inside a bar with ANY squad identification on. We just don't want to be associated with certain things. Funny thing is, one of our stickers is at the local young/hip bar hangout nearby, hehe ironic isnt it.
    two of our members own a bar which members have been known to frequent. As often as I go into the bar, I will not go in with any identifying apparel. no job shirts, no t-shirts, no hats that identify me as a member of xyz department or abc squad. other people (including fire service veterans with 10+ years in) have worn jobs shirts while drinking, well, that's just not for me. the only exception I might make is a jacket, but then the jacket comes off the moment i get inside.

although I currently have no stickers on my car, I will prbably put a maltese cross or SOL on it in the near future, as well as FD plates or something of the like in the near future.

be proud of your organization, even show off you are a member, just don't embarrass the organization by your actions.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Adam07003
    I was just reading through our rules/regs (I'm new to the co. and am one of those folks who actually reads the information he's given so he knows the dos and donts)... Here's an interesting little excerpt that says basically the same thing:

"No member shall consume alcohol in a public or semi-public venue while wearing the PVRS logo, name or uniform."

I think it's an EXCELLENT idea. The last thing a rescue squad or fire co. that relies on public donations and town funds needs is to get a reputation for frequenting a bar. You (the methphorical you, of course, in this situation) may know that you're off duty when you enter a bar wearing a uniform, but the general public doesn't. I'd hate for people to start thinking that our EMTs are drinking anything other than water or Coke while on duty. That just potentially opens up a can of worms that doesn't need to be touched in today's letigious society.

While we're on the subject of alcohol, I also happened across a rule that prohibits the consumption of alcohol within 8 hours of starting a duty shift. (Another good idea, IMHO.) Does anyone else have a similar policy?

Forum Member

As an adviser for our dept's explorer post, the first thing I tell them when they finish training and are ready to respond is about not being stupid. The all are eager to get the license plate and are proud to wear the t-shirts and jackets. They are all told that when you drive around with the plate, you are advirtising who you are and what department you affiliated with whether you are going to a call or going to movies. If youu drive like an ***, you are reflecting badly on everyone and we will find out about it one way or another. Wearing the clothing does the same thing. I wasn't born yesterday and I know what high school kids like to do when there isn't school the next day. Don't go wearing the FD shirts and jackets to parties. Even if you don't drink and your the DD for the night, put on something else.

So far, people seem to understand it pretty well. I think starting these concepts when they are young and new is much easier than telling someone who has been in the dept for 10 years not to do something they've been doing for 10 years.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

If the violation is serious enough you can face suspension for a month. Non serious violations will get a warning form the chief. Once warned if it happens again suspension, and so forth including being removed from the department.

For serious violations (and since it is in our department SOP) you will face a 1 month suspension immediatley. This would including flying through a red light. Its too much to type how it all breaks down, however the more serious the moving violation the more serious the disiplinary action will be. Bottom line is there is no reason for a member to injury citizens with there POV (or any vehicle) while trying to respond to an alarm.
    You need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the duct tape.

Forum Member

Yeah its in our guidelines also, almost same verbage...

I have the GENERIC id's on my vehicle indicating im an EMT (windshield/back window/license plates), no squad affiliation on my truck. I ride for 1 squad, soon to be 2, rather not put tons of stickers on it.

I might remove my EMT sticker and put the FD logo i'll be volunteering for and have a new logo made for my NJ squad (shown to the left), because its not the best looking... i dunno yet. I like small things that ID who im part of, people respect ya a lil more and look to you if they need help. Im not afraid to stop and help someone, i nkow some guys are against logos of any sort because they dont wanna stop, not me... but those of us who have our logos and things know NOT to horse around like the "import racers" who acuse lots of trouble.

If your in an import like that you are ALREADY labeled as trouble... now show an affiliation and thats going to put a bad taste in peoples mouths.
    Adam, EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

We had a similar situation a few years ago, with one of our members who had an old beater pickup truck with about a dozen rebel flags on the back window (not just the flag, most of them were bumper stickers with various redneck-type messages on them, borderline racist stuff). (Understand that our service area is about 50% African-American population) Needless to say, not the image you want your firefighters projecting when you're going into a predominantly black neighborhood. This was before I was chief, though, and that guy's not with us any more....I suppose it's something I'd have to address if a similar situation arises again, though.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Blue lights and Station Wagons.
    That could be a topic in and of itself.
    Station Wagons with spinners.
    I remember a time when it was considered in poor taste to put mag wheels on a four door vehicle.
    And why do we find spoilers on pick ups now?
    Should blue lights be offered as an option straight from the dealer's floor?
    I think we need more "firefighter edition" everything.
    I am in talks right now with Jarrett's people to install a light bar on their car.
    Blue lights and NASCAR.
    Our future is bright. 500 rpm and a krypton bulb to be exact.
    I'm sorry; what was the question?
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

I think it primarily depends on the violation issued.

Driving recklessly, sure. Speeding 5-10 over, no.

Does common sense exist anymore????
    Jack of all trades, master of none.

Live Green, Go Yellow!

Join the forums at www.ambulass.com!

MembersZone Subscriber

If you investigate further into your Organizations insurance carrier, some will not permit you from driving Dept equipment with 1 or 2 tickets... However, as I say this, point systems and the BMV are different from state to state..

Ohio, well, 1 ticket I believe is 2 points... (not sure, it's been a LONG time since I got one, knock on wood.....)

I believe VFIS will not permit Ohioans with 4 points to drive, I'd check your local Insurance carriers before I got too lax about how many tickets you think it's "OK" to get.....
    Giggity - Giggity!

Forum Member

Default Ticket? What ticket?

I thought that was what the little light bar and dash light was for - to get you out of tickets. Then you don't have to worry about them. (being fecetious, of course).

MembersZone Subscriber

Oh yeah!!!
    Giggity - Giggity!

Forum Member

Sorry ya'll, but I just have to jump in. As a mother of 2, my car (92 Taurus) is a grocery getter, kid runner, and oh yeah, an emergency vehicle. I volunteer for a rural department, and when I read about spoilers and such, all I could think was"Oh yeah.. that will make it down that dirt track we've just got paged to.." My personal favorite is the guy with the new Z71 who parks at the end and walks in, just so he won't scratch anything. We usually leave him to flag traffic.

MembersZone Subscriber

First of all, you're a moron if you're driving recklessly, regardless of whether you have anything associated with your organization on your vehicle or not. Secondly, when you do put something on your vehicle that's associated with your organization, you have to hold yourself to a higher standard.
    A blue light is a priviledge, not a right. I agree that anyone who is convicted of a motor vehicle violation should lose their blue light permit for a certain amount of time. They can have it back once they prove themselves mature enough to handle one. On a side note, a blue light shouldn't even be used responding to calls. The only time a blue light should really be used is when approaching a scene so that the fire police can identify your vehicle and allow you access to the scene.

MembersZone Subscriber

The wildland crew I worked on had very strict rules about that stuff. A lot of times we were on the road for two weeks, and your choice of shirts was pretty thin. If we went to a restaurant and someone wanted to have a drink, you put something else on, and if you didn't have anything else you turned your shirt inside out, no exceptions.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Pov

Our policy is pretty much the same with alot of other departments. We just recently had a volunteer get into trouble for running am amber light in the front windshield. In our state it's legal for a volunteer to have amber, but the amber light he was using looked red and bout cuased me and another volunteer to collide. I was pretty amazed that the state cop behind us (we had just passed him) didn't go after him. He not only got into trouble for that but also for driving recklessley.

Forum Member

In MD I don't know if blue lights are legal or not but my cousin (firefighter in N. VA.) has a dash mounted light and 2 strobes. He does not like the light and has only used it once - 9/11. Are blue lights allowed in New Orleans? I'm going down there for 4 or 5 weeks and I was just wondering if I could borrow cuz's

Forum Member

Default Amber??

Amber lights are what tow trucks, plows and I think taxi's use here in CT. Why would you use amber?

MembersZone Subscriber

I have a dash laser I have in my car and put in the windshield only on certian roads. I dont leave it up there all the time, and if I am on a busy road I dont even bother getting it out and risk g'ma not seeing it in the sunlight. OH well, just call me new fashioned.

firefighter7160
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Just about anything here????

Even blue lights. I myself had blue, red, amber and clear on my POV. But i was also a police officer (PART-TIME). Sold most of them, but still know others that have about 20 lights on there truck's.

Thread Information