Forum Member

Default Scannners-Whats good, Whats Bad!?

Hey Everyone This is Jake and I am a Fire Junior in Vernon Connecticut. I am looking to buy a new Police/ Fire Scanner for my car or handheld to take with me....I am looking to not spend too much about $200. I would just like to know what you think or what is good or what is bad!

Forum Member

Just go to Radio Shack and pick one. For $200 your not going to get a great one regardless of brand.

MembersZone Subscriber

Check out www.radioreference.com. There is plenty of information on their discussion forums on which scanner may be best suited for your needs.

Forum Member

http://www.scannerworld.com/template...wproduct=SC230
    For $200, you can get a nice portable scanner that will do PL/DPL. I would never buy a scanner that doesn't do that.

http://www.scannerworld.com/template...roduct=BCD396T
    This is the current end-all for portable scanners. For $524, it will even fry eggs in the morning. It does digital, trunking, fire tones, PL/DPL, etc etc etc.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

I looked at the Vernon, CT database at www.radioreference.com and there is no digital system or anything like that ruinning in your county so any scanner that you can afford. You may want to think ahead though and make sure the folks in your county are not talking about going to a digital trunking system or anything like that. Also check out www.scannermaster.com.

MembersZone Subscriber

I will agree with most replies with one exception. There are many scanners under $200 that will work great for you (provided you do not need trucking capabilities)

That being said, you mentioned a handheld to take with you. I absolutly would NOT reccommend keeping in with you on any fireground. In very short order it will become a fancy paper weight.

I know this unfortunatly from past experience.

The Radio Shack scanners dont suck too badly, but I am a much bigger fan of the Uniden series.

Forum Member

I had a pro-96 from radiohack, I dumped it for the Uniden BCD396T. I switched over mostly because of the tone decoding.

I also like the signal meter, battery voltmeter, PL/DPL and PL/DPL lockout, continuous coverage (including FM broadcast and TV), close call, more room for alpha tagging... all sorts of stuff.

There is a scanner just like it without the digital for (I think) around the price range you want.

Here's a fun fact, some of the older radioshack scanners were made by Uniden.

Forum Member

I forgot to add, Uniden says their new scanners are compatable with the rebanding project. Radioshack is not. It was another reason why I bought it.

The other (cheaper) scanner is the BR330T. It runs around $260.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ffexpCP

I also like the signal meter, battery voltmeter, PL/DPL and PL/DPL lockout, continuous coverage (including FM broadcast and TV), close call, more room for alpha tagging... all sorts of stuff.

There is a scanner just like it without the digital for (I think) around the price range you want.

Here's a fun fact, some of the older radioshack scanners were made by Uniden.

I currently have the BC246, and I really like this unit. However, you mentioned a PL/DPL lockout ? With FM & TV station.

Do you know what the non-digital model is ?

Forum Member

It can pickup VHF TV audio, along with FM broadcast. It comes in really clear.

There is a setting on the scanner that it will ignore transmisions if it sees the specified PL/DPL. Here's the explination from the programing software:

Tone Lockout
    This setting lets you see and change whether the scanner stops on the channel if the selected tone is included with the transmission. Double click on the displayed setting to change it.
    ON - the scanner does not stop on the channel if the selected tone is included with the transmission.
    OFF - the scanner stops on the channel only if the selected tone is included with the transmission

I like this tool. My station is on a county wide freq. so there's alot of chatter. Most stations have a PL code but mine is just CSQ. So, the next best thing is to ignore the others.

The non-digital scanners work on conventional radios and non-digital trunking. An example of a digital system is the Michigan Public Safety Communication System (MPSCS).

Here, this can explain it better than I can http://www.michigan.gov/mpscs
    Last edited by ffexpCP; 12-14-2005 at 07:33 PM. Reason: typo

MembersZone Subscriber

FFEXPCP, my wife will not be too happy with you now!

I have spent a good part of the day researching these scanners , and I now must have one.

It is now time to take up the guy who has offered to buy my 246 from me every time he sees me.

The 330 is only $9 more than what I gave for the 246.

It shall be a Merry Christmas!

Forum Member

Glad I could help.

For me the icing on the cake was the package deal. Rechargable batteries, power cord, antenna adaptor, programing cable and software were all included.

None of that buying accesories at radiohack for 20 bucks each...

Forum Member

back in the day .............I loved my HX-1000.........also liked the look of the old Bearcats ............Uniden this ! Also had an old 8 channel Radiohack (as ffexpcc puts it) and that thing took a BEATING ................ahhhhhhhhhhhhh memories.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Talking Scanners

This is just a suggestion but the one that I carry all the time is the

RadioShack PRO-95 Scanner w/ Dual Trunking

I can program both the frequency and the name of the town or agency that I want to put in there.

It's what you call something like Alphanumerick.

My bad on the spelling!

Forum Member

Alphanumeric
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

I had the pro-95. I loved it. It was my first trunking scanner and my first scanner with text tags.

I only sold it to help pay for my upgrade to digital.

PS: I HIGHLY recommend the starrsoft programing software. If it wasn't for the programing software that scanner would have been dropkicked out the door.

Thread Information