Forum Member

Default Portable folding tanks

Has anyone used the new "roll a tank" from Fol-Da-Tank? This is the one that can be deployed in about two minutes by a single person and is stored in a large bag. It has aluminum poles in the corner for support.

I've used the frame style numerous times, but I wondered how well this other design works. I think it would be easy to store up in the hosebed or compartment. Thanks

Forum Member

We use (or rather have) one of the floating wall tanks with no poles at all and I would much rather have a full frame Fol-da-Tank...that "pumpkin" still takes 3 men and a boy to wrestle around, and it is really hard to get it back in the compartment. Additionally, suction hoses going over the side tend to push down the wall and make it overflow, and sometimes it overflows on its own anyway...plus the bulging sides make it hard to back up close enough to.

Birken

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll second the notion of dislike for the self-supporting folding tanks. Perhaps the one you're referring to with the aluminum poles would help, but the only time we'd ever use ours is for training drafting to new engineers. We have two of the conventional framed units that work much better in my opinion, and that's what we'd use in the heat of the battle.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have used one of the new snap-tanks, but I don't think it was made by fol-da-tank. They seem to work well, one department store theirs in the dunnage area by the deck gun. One person can set it up pretty quick.

MembersZone Subscriber

Haven't actually used one but I have 2 on our recent AFG to be ordered.
    We were "old school" with the full frame type (steel frame too) and due to some poor design on our latest tanker, the drop tank got placed in the hose bed (which is roughly 8' off the ground and 6' off the tail board) so it takes about 6 people to get it out/down & 8+ to put it up.

I have used some of the frame-less types that Birken described in training (the kind with the floating collar) and I honestly didn't like them for many of the same reasons already mentioned.

For those who are not familiar with this tank design - it is a "hybrid" of sorts. It's not a true frame-less tank - it's simply a framed tank with a greatly reduced frame. It will still have some of the same issues as a frame-less tank (greater need for level surface, sides collapsing from draft hose, etc.) however it looks to suffer from a lesser degree than a true frame-less/self supporting tank.

To solve the issue of collapsing the unsupported tank side with your draft hose, Fol-Da-Tank has a hose support stand. If you have someone with a metal shop you can probably make your own version pretty cheap too.

I am hoping that the Rol-la-tank will fit the bill for us because it's cheaper than trying to have the tanker retro-fitted with a swing down tank bracket.

Once we get them in hand and have a chance to play with them I'll be happy to pass on our thoughts - but that will probably be several months from now.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

I have tried the reduced frame type of tank, but have not seen very good results. We still use the steel full frame (built internally) and hang it on the side of the truck with a swing down holder. It does take a few guys to handle but is reliable and sturdy.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by N2DFire View Post
    Haven't actually used one but I have 2 on our recent AFG to be ordered.
    How have these worked out for you?

Foldatank has a video on their website of the Rol-La-Tank. The corner supports just look a bit weak and "fiddlely" to me with the storage bag/folding/connecting. A one piece support located on the tailboard and tank in a compartment would seem a better solution. I like the idea of eliminating the cost of buying and maintaining a powered tank rack on a large tanker pumper. Looking for something one man can set up, the selfsupporting tank seems to have problems.

http://www.fol-da-tank.com/Page/Phot...%20Videos.aspx

MembersZone Subscriber

We carry a 2100 gallon frame portable tank on eack of our engines and tankers. The engines have a compartment abour five feet off of the ground and the tankers are in a manually operated fold down rack. The tanks on each apparatus can be deployed by two firefighters in less than 30 seconds. We have no pressurized hydrants in our response area, therefore rule of thumb is for a structure or major incident three tanks go down as a minimum. We have demoed the other taks but the framed tanks deploy much easier and faster. The only down fall is the space for storage on the truck. Just my thoughts.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    How have these worked out for you?

Foldatank has a video on their website of the Rol-La-Tank. The corner supports just look a bit weak and "fiddlely" to me with the storage bag/folding/connecting. A one piece support located on the tailboard and tank in a compartment would seem a better solution. I like the idea of eliminating the cost of buying and maintaining a powered tank rack on a large tanker pumper. Looking for something one man can set up, the selfsupporting tank seems to have problems.

http://www.fol-da-tank.com/Page/Phot...%20Videos.aspx
    Does the tank rack need to be powered? Are you doing something overhead, or just a swing down rack above some lower compartments? The swing down racks can be unpowered...

Aluminum framed drop tanks seem to be a viable alternative if the weight is a concern. 130 pounds for a 2500 gallon unit doesn't seem impossible for one guy to drag to the front bumper or side of a rig.
    Last edited by npfd801; 08-30-2007 at 04:43 PM.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

MembersZone Subscriber

Would like to store whatever tank in a low to ground compartment (and avoid blowing $5k on a powered rack). Have other uses for the over wheel space (water or highside compartment) vs the unpowered tank racks (which take 2men to operate). Likely will have powered ladder rack.

From feedback I've received I'm now thinking a double fold Alum frame Foldatank (x2 actually) 2100gal stowed in a rear corner/tailboard compartment is the best solution. Weight is 125lb to deploy, open compartment door and tip/slide it out, drag 5' and unfold, deploy squirrel tail.

Forum Member

Default Dont drag

Quote Originally Posted by npfd801 View Post
    Does the tank rack need to be powered? Are you doing something overhead, or just a swing down rack above some lower compartments? The swing down racks can be unpowered...

Aluminum framed drop tanks seem to be a viable alternative if the weight is a concern. 130 pounds for a 2500 gallon unit doesn't seem impossible for one guy to drag to the front bumper or side of a rig.
    We have steel frames and 2500 gallon tanks with manual tilt down tank holders. I have personally did the "one man" deploy on a fully involved structure fire (mutual aid) and regretted it for a couple of weeks (back).

I wanted to go with aluminum frame but chief thought cost savings of steel was the way to go (less $$$ beat less lb's - but then when was the last time the chief had to lift the dump tank )

BTW - don't drag the dump tank - had a couple rookies drag ours a few feet and I spent a good weekend with a patch kit trying to patch the holes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here are a couple of frameless tanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    METZ AERIALS: "SO EASY A CAVEMAN CAN USE THEM"

Forum Member

METZ AERIALS, SO FRAGILES, YOU DON'T NEED A CAVEMAN FOR A TIP OFF.

Regards

Thread Information