Forum Member

Exclamation Question about Bluelight!!

I just found out my wifes Grandma passed away lastnight and I have a professional question I need answered. I am a NY fireman and I do have a blue light bar on my roof. We are going to Boston Mass. does anyone know if the cops will give me a hardtime. The light bar is hardwired and the wires go through my roof so taking it off is not an option. Has anybody been to Boston with there Blue light.

FF-EMT

Angry Blue Light Answer

Talk to your local PD and see if you can borrow one of their light bar covers. When maintenance drives a police car they put a cover on the lightbar that says OUT OF SERVICE. If you can borrow one of those try that. I had a friend drive to Florida with his blue lights and the local PD's and highway patrol gave him H**L.
    Mark Zanghetti
    FF-EMT
    Goshen Fire Dept.
    Waterford, CT

Forum Member

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Mzanghetti
    Talk to your local PD and see if you can borrow one of their light bar covers. When maintenance drives a police car they put a cover on the lightbar that says OUT OF SERVICE. If you can borrow one of those try that. I had a friend drive to Florida with his blue lights and the local PD's and highway patrol gave him H**L.

Yeah that seems like a good Idea, I never thought about covering it I just did a search on Firehouse to see if there might be anyone else with the same problem hey thanks again for the idea.

MembersZone Subscriber

The Mass state troopers really don't pay much attention to you if you have a blue light. Once you get off the main drag most of the local PD's will leave you alone if they see your NY plates. I have been through Mass 30+ times and driving downtown Boston and haven't had any issues when I had a Blue light. Best advice is to disconnect the power the the light so if you are pulled over you can show the LEO the it dosen't work.

Safe travels

Tim Ekstrom
    IAFF local 3794
    Rochester, NY

Forum Member

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by RRFD72
    The Mass state troopers really don't pay much attention to you if you have a blue light. Once you get off the main drag most of the local PD's will leave you alone if they see your NY plates. I have been through Mass 30+ times and driving downtown Boston and haven't had any issues when I had a Blue light. Best advice is to disconnect the power the the light so if you are pulled over you can show the LEO the it dosen't work.

Safe travels

Tim Ekstrom
    IAFF local 3794
    Rochester, NY
    Hey Thanks Tim I just don't need any tickets, I just want to pay my respects to my wife's grandma and leave.

Forum Member

I know people who have gotten their balls busted by the police in mass for POV's with blue lights and even an apparatus with blue lights.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Default Lightbar "OUT OF SERVICE" cover

Galls sells "OUT OF SERVICE" lightbar covers for $20 - the model # is LB276 - they come in several sizes for different bars....

Good luck!
    - Scott

Forum Member

i'm a volunteer in pennsylvania and i do know that there are some states that do give you a hard time about blue lights but they cannot give you a ticket if u have out of state plates i went through this with West Virginia state police so i wouldn't worry to much about tickets but just to be safe i would check first

Forum Member

Ive never heard of anybody personally being harassed for just having lights on their vehicles in a different state. So long as you are not using them.

I don't know WHY a cop would harass volunteers for traveling outside their state, especially with out of state plates. I mean, you gotta be a real **** to pull over someone who has a blue light and NY/NJ plates when they are not doing anything wrong.

I bet if you DID get a ticket, it'd be totally fightable, because you do have the proper paperwork for your state, AND you were not using the lights in THEIR strate.

But i've never travelled outside NJ/NY area with my lights, granted my lights are LED's so they are clear from the naked eye and my grill strobes are hidden behind the grill, so can't tell you anything more.
    Adam, EMT-B

Forum Member

Thumbs up

I would like to tell everybody that my trip to Mass Boston was a great trip with out any harrassment from the police or State Police. If there are any Mass Police officer's on this forum I just like to say thank you and that showing your respect towards me as a volunteer fireman from another state means alot. Thank you to everybody who has posted there opion I was really worried about getting a ticket. Have a great day everyone and play it safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

Glad the trip went well. My condolences for your loss. Hope your wife's family is doing well.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godsmack
    I would like to tell everybody that my trip to Mass Boston was a great trip with out any harrassment from the police or State Police.
    So did your bar go in "naked" or did you have a cover on it?

The only razzing I've heard of is when CT vollies respond mutual aid to a town in MA in their POVs. But it's been many years and I've not heard any complaints from folks who volunteer at the border. Sounds like MA has changed for the better.

Forum Member

Smile

It's funny you asked cause I decided to go "naked" cause I was traveling down the T-way and the noise was unbelievable from the plastic bag. So I stopped at the rest stop and took it off. I have clear domes with blue filters

I'm still looking for the web-site

Commisioner's Rules and Regulations
    Title 15 Article (44) M-K (Lightbars)

If anyone has it please drop me aline here in the forums I did try doing a search on the web and on firehouse but all I come up with is the navagational rule book.
    Last edited by Godsmack; 12-16-2005 at 05:00 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Asheville, North Carolina, United States of America

Default Nc Shp

I do not know about Mass. but if you plan on traveling in NC then you better wrap it up someway! Sorry about your loss!

Thread Information