Forum Member

Default Need Info from Dallas Area Firefighters

Earlier this week, I learned that my wife's department at work in being transferred to Irving from the Shreveport, LA area. She will be receiving a substancial raise, and that combined with the higher teacher salaries in Texas, it is going to be a tough offer to say no to.

My question is, can anyone point me in the direction of volunteer or combo departments that use call firefighters in the area north or northwest of Dallas. I have found a couple in northern Terrant County (most notably Terrant County #42, which seems like a class organization) as well as Eagle Mountain, which from what I can tell is all vollie/POC, and many in Denton County. Are there any closer to the Dallas metro area than that? Also are there any other County departments in the metro area?

I have been at this for 26 years and not ready to give it up yet, but I also don't want to have to drive an hour to work.

Also, how easy is it to switch certs from another state in Texas? Currently a NREMT as well as Louisiana FF1.

Thank you for any assistance in advance.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 12-10-2005 at 12:55 PM.

Forum Member

Check your e-mail for some information.
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Hmmm...if you're specifically looking for something within northern Dallas County I don't believe there are any. You mentioned that you found many in Denton County...that's probably going to be the closest you'll find to north Dallas/Irving area. You may also check the northeast Collin County area. Several of the cities northeast of Lake Lavon have vollies, but the growth that way is rapid, so who knows how long they will stay that way. If I were guessing at the closest department with volunteers on it to Irving, I would suspect it would be something up the I-35E corridor near Lake Lewisville...a lot of those have converted over in the past ten years so I'm not sure what they're all doing these days.

Forum Member

Bah. Just come back to Vermont.

Cost of living is low, and with how all the teachers unions are striking for more money, you could afford a brand new home, two new vehicles and still have money for your month long vacation to Europe. :eyeroll:
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

Would love to 343 but if I brought my wife up north she'd freeze to death the first winter.... these southern girls have no tolerance for cold.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info. I'm finding some nice little volunteer outfits up in Denton County. Might be a 30-40 minute drive to work but we sorta want to be a rural area anyway. You're right .. there are very few vollie or combo departments in Dallas or Tarrant counties ... should be an interesting adventure.

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

When I left Dallas and moved back to Waco the only volunteer department in Dallas county was Sunnyvale (if I recall correctly) and they were in eastern Dallas county. Denton county had several along with Collin county. Tarrant county had a few so, good luck. NREMT shouldn't be a problem as for fire certs not sure what transfers over.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Thread Information