Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Powercall Sirens

Not sure were to place this thread, so I'll put it here. My department is looking into getting the Powercall Siren, it has come up several times that the siren is not NFPA compliant. However no one has been able to provide any sort of proof stating whether it is true or not. If anybody has any information about the siren, please post it.

Thanks for all the help...
    "Let no man's ghost come back to say my training let me down."

Well, I do not know this to bew fact, but I would have to speculate that they are NFPA compliant because you get get them installed direct form the manufacturer on new apparratus orders. I cannot imagine that any apparatus manufacturers would leave themselves open for liability by installing equipment that was not NFPA compliant.
    Robert Kramer
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

We recently bought a new tower-ladder. The manufacturer of the truck told us that the powercall we requested was indeed non-compliant because it was not loud enough. They installed it anyway because we also had a Q on the truck and the Q was compliant. The Q satisfied the NFPA requirements for the truck, and the powercall was OK because it was over and above NFPA.

I find it hard to believe that Powercall would make a non-compliant product, but that is what we were told and we took it at face value without researching it any further. I really didn't pursue the matter because the Q is all I ever use any way.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs down Huh??..............

Quote Originally Posted by beastie35
    Not sure were to place this thread, so I'll put it here. My department is looking into getting the Powercall Siren, it has come up several times that the siren is not NFPA compliant. However no one has been able to provide any sort of proof stating whether it is true or not. If anybody has any information about the siren, please post it.

Thanks for all the help...
    The Powercall is an invention from this area, also known as the "D.C." siren, since Washington D.C. used them since day one. EVERYBODY around here has them, and as such, I prefer something else. We also have Qs on almost everything as well. BTW, as to the NFPA, who cares? We sure as hell don't.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Still a big fan of the Unitrol Touchmaster. Very reliable, heavy duty and popular in the police and fire services.

Forum Member

Smile

I will have to disagree with a Q being louder than a Powercall. Have passed our first out engine that has both, and could hear the Powercall over the Q!! yes it was wound out.
    Alan

P.S. direct POV responses are discouraged in my co.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ARH176
    I will have to disagree with a Q being louder than a Powercall. Have passed our first out engine that has both, and could hear the Powercall over the Q!! yes it was wound out.
    Alan

P.S. direct POV responses are discouraged in my co.
    You have to remember though that a powercall is still an electronic siren. It's been proben that the soundwaves from mechanical sirens (the Q) penetrate modern automotive metals than the soundwaves of electronic sirens.

My school company has them on most of our trucks. I used to hate them, but they've grown on me. The one thing that was really annoying though, was when we first got them, that's all anyone would use, not Q, no airhorn. Our engine has the best set-up, Q, air horns, Powercall, and Federal Electronic. Set all of them going, and it sounds awesome!

Do a search. I do think that this has been talked about before with many replies.

As far as these coming from the factory, so what. Don't think the factory will install a warning device that isn't legal or compliant. The motorized Q is the right to go. Will out perform any electronic any day, any time!
    OUTSTANDING

Make It Happen

Never forget 9-11-2001
    343 Brothers Who Were MURDERED!!

I am telling you...Get the Touchmaster AND the Q. Here is what I mean...

http://www.youtube.com/?v=9-tnmqqmjo0

Or get the dual Touchmasters...

http://www.youtube.com/?v=gXnTFN1wD9E
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 12-12-2005 at 06:10 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Iíve been using a PowerCall for about a year now. I think itís as loud as any other siren. I chose it because of itís unique sound. (Gotta be different) I think the powercall tone is very effective on moving traffic. The wail and yelp tones are just plain wrong. They sound like something from a toy box.

MembersZone Subscriber

our powercalls are 100w. How are they any different than any other 100w siren?

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by quint1officer
    our powercalls are 100w. How are they any different than any other 100w siren?
    The original GE Powercalls, not the ones being manufactured by Sho-Me for www.powercallsirens.com, are rated at 58W. Maybe not the 100W standard, but they sure sound a hell of a lot better than the new ones!

I am not sure everyone is talking about the same thing. The original powercall was manufactured by GE. As stated it was rated at 58 Watts. I think it would drive a 75 Watt speaker.

Recently, within a couple of years powercall sirens has started their own line (manufactured evidently by Show-me), they formerly just remanufactured the original GE's. Whelen also has a model out that has the "powercall" sound.

So....I am not sure which ones everyone are talking about. I would imagine that the new ones would be NFPA compliant, but who knows.

Bou....we run the Touchmaster with dual amplifiers here. There good, but I still wish had a "Q"!! As a matter of fact, I am on a quest.
    Last edited by MemphisE34a; 12-17-2005 at 08:52 PM.
    Robert Kramer
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

WOOH WOOH WOOH WOOH WOOH!!!!! I do like the WARBLE and the Q, LT. KRAMER!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods
    The Powercall is an invention from this area, also known as the "D.C." siren, since Washington D.C. used them since day one. EVERYBODY around here has them, and as such, I prefer something else. We also have Qs on almost everything as well. BTW, as to the NFPA, who cares? We sure as hell don't.
    Thats funny. Where I used to volunteer in MS they were known as the Rankin SO siren, cause they used them from the time they first came out, in Tennessee they are the THP siren cause they used them too. Maybe thats why the worldwide company, GE called them the powercall. I would imagine they were created to be sold to anyone who would buy them. Why would anyone in MS or TN use a "DC" siren? =)
    Robert Kramer
    cell #901-494-9437

Geez- Look into a Touchmaster. Your fellow volunteers will be jealous. And they are not as cheap looking as the Powercall.

Thread Information