Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Perfume in drink leads to arrest of student

What the hell is this world coming to? I would have been beaten within an inch of my life for even thinking about doing this. Meanwhile they had to lock down the school for fear of retribution by the parents of the accused!

Perfume in drink leads to arrest of student

12/10/2005

SANBORN - Niagara-Wheatfield High School student was arrested on felony assault charges Thursday after she allegedly put perfume into the drink of an assistant principal, Niagara County sheriff's deputies said.
    Billie Jacobs, no age listed, is accused of putting "U" perfume into the cola of Assistant Principal James R. Campbell shortly before noon Thursday. The assistant principal had stepped outside his office momentarily, leaving Jacobs inside alone, police said.

Police said he drank the cola shortly after the student left the office and became violently ill, with symptoms including a strong burning sensation in the mouth, throat and stomach.

When Assistant Principal Vincent Vanderlip attempted to seize Jacobs' purse and backpack, she slapped him in the face and punched him twice in the head, police said.

School officials and police recovered two bottles of perfume from her purse. The student told police she used the perfume in Campbell's office but denied putting it into his drink, police said.

Jacobs was arraigned in Lewiston Justice Court and taken to Niagara County Jail in lieu of $5,000 cash bail, or $10,000 property bond. She is scheduled to return to court at 6 p.m. Tuesday.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...10/4033436.asp
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

Thats the leaders of tomorrow. Very comforting. I owuld have had my butt kicked up one side of that school and down the other by my father. Maybe that's what this country is lacking, good old fashioned discipline.

Forum Member

And, like you said, it was sad that they had to lock down the school for fear of retribution. Parents these days seem to think that their children can't do any wrong, even when they witness it....

MembersZone Subscriber

She was in the principal's office already. She probably wasn't there for an induction ceremony to the National Honor Society. She spikes the coke of the principal with a poison. Then she physically attacks the Asst. Principal when he intervenes.

Do you think this chick may have some issues? Something tells me she is smack dab in them iddle of this school's radar screen.

Quote Originally Posted by RadRob
    Maybe that's what this country is lacking, good old fashioned discipline.
    You hit the nail on the head right there. There don't seem to be any consequences for kids who screw up anymore.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    She was in the principal's office already. She probably wasn't there for an induction ceremony to the National Honor Society. She spikes the coke of the principal with a poison. Then she physically attacks the Asst. Principal when he intervenes.

Do you think this chick may have some issues? Something tells me she is smack dab in them iddle of this school's radar screen.
    I guess the other point I was making is the un published fact that the school needed to be locked down because one of the relatives was caught driving at an excessive speed with a loaded gun in his vehicle headed in the direction of the school. (I know this because the school in question is my Alma Mater, and I spoke with some police officers about the lock down).

I know when I went to school there the principals were not assaulted, and we had some serious bad *****es then too. My kids will never get away with that type of behavior.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter

The school district (your tax dollars at work) will now have to hire a "homeschool" instructor, or a private tutor to work with her, until she is deemed fit to either return to school, or to enter "alternative" schooling.
    9/11/01 Never forget Never forgive

Dusty, working on Crusty IACOJ

Quote Originally Posted by fflynn17
    The school district (your tax dollars at work) will now have to hire a "homeschool" instructor, or a private tutor to work with her, until she is deemed fit to either return to school, or to enter "alternative" schooling.
    Why not? They already hired a sheriffs deputy to patrol the hallways during school. Never had that $hit when I was in school. BTW I graduated high school in 1994. I aint that old.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter

Today's children are soooo f-ing spoiled and entitled to everything from their parents who give everything.

This planet is doomed.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

I blame bicycle helmets for this. Kids don’t get a chance to knock the stupid out of them. Unreal. Just think when we are old in homes, hospitals or in need of emergency care they will be coming for us, lets hope they grow out of it.
    Training does not make perfect. Training makes permanent!

IACOJ probie

Couple of points of clarification. The accused is a senior high school student. I dont know if this is stupid or, malicious intent. I believe the latter to be the case. The student has had a previous history of poor behavior, and I have seen the family name from other police blotter stories. Lets just say she comes from the wrong side of the tracks.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter

With her parents giving her a name like Billie, she was doomed from day one.
    "There are only two things that i know are infinite, the universe and human stupidity. And im not so sure about the former."

For all the life of me, i cant see a firefighter going to hell. At least not for very long. We would end up putting out all the fires and annoying the devil too much.

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU
    Today's children are soooo f-ing spoiled and entitled to everything from their parents who give everything.

Don't generalize Bou..... I don't spoil or give into my kids' every whim and I have one who has wandered down a questionable path. As a parent I have no recourse, I have to let him do his own thing because he's 16, it doesn't matter that there is a "history", I have no rights as his parent and as a child he holds all the cards. If you want to blame something blame the fact that as parents we are no longer "allowed" to have any sort of control over our kids, we are not allowed to "punish" our children and schools are no longer allowed to punish kids. Instead they are almost rewarded, look at lynn's post, a tutor or home teacher will have to be hired on the district's dime for this kid ..... does anyone else see a problem with this, I know I do. You screw up you should have to pay a price for it. Also, how about the fact that schools cannot fail students anymore, kids learn that they get something (a passing grade) for nothing (no work) and we wonder why we have stupid, lazy ***, disrespectful punks joining us in the work force Until we take the control back from the children it's only going to get worse, they will never learn anything about respect and real life and our world will continue to go to *****.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PFire23
    Don't generalize Bou..... I don't spoil or give into my kids' every whim and I have one who has wandered down a questionable path. As a parent I have no recourse, I have to let him do his own thing because he's 16, it doesn't matter that there is a "history", I have no rights as his parent and as a child he holds all the cards. If you want to blame something blame the fact that as parents we are no longer "allowed" to have any sort of control over our kids, we are not allowed to "punish" our children and schools are no longer allowed to punish kids. Instead they are almost rewarded, look at lynn's post, a tutor or home teacher will have to be hired on the district's dime for this kid ..... does anyone else see a problem with this, I know I do. You screw up you should have to pay a price for it. Also, how about the fact that schools cannot fail students anymore, kids learn that they get something (a passing grade) for nothing (no work) and we wonder why we have stupid, lazy ***, disrespectful punks joining us in the work force Until we take the control back from the children it's only going to get worse, they will never learn anything about respect and real life and our world will continue to go to *****.
    I don't care how big my son gets... he will learn the same thing I had to learn. YOU ARE NEVER BAD ENOUGH TO WHOOP DAD! I was 23 years old when I finally stood up to my father for something I didn't agree with. He reminded me to respect his authority and when I bowed up to him, he put me through a sheetrock wall. A little rough? Probably, but it got the point across. I am by no means saying go overboard, but an *****-whoopin' is what the little ****** need. This little thing called "time-out" is crap. While it may work for some kids, it won't work for others. It is our job to find out what "punishes" the kid most and use that means as discipline.

Kids have TV's in their rooms, their own cell phones, their own phone lines in their rooms, dvd players, etc... Take it all away from them and ground them. After school, they come straight home. WE, as parents, have the control. But rather than being a PARENT, often times adults try to be the kid's friend. That doesn't work. And it all starts from a young age. Kids learn the most before age 8.

There are many things we can do as parents, but we choose not to. If spanking my child lands me in the slammer, I'll go and I will fight it. When I get out, I will spank my kid again if he needs it and go through it all again. I will do whatever is necessary to teach my kids the meaning of respect.

I guess when all else fails, we can call Oprah and have a boot camp come straighten out our mess.

I agree with you Rob, good post.

I am not sure whether or not your reply was aimed at me or not, but since you quoted me I'm thinking it was. Since this is a public forum I am not going into detail regarding my situation, however, suffice it to say that I have spanked my children when warranted, taken away privileges, etc. My point with my post was that it's really easy to blame the parents everytime there's a "bad" kid, and that's not always the case. Some kids just don't give a ***** and do what they want, no matter what values they've been brought up with and taught. Again, lots more I could type however, public forum and personal stuff don't mix well.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

I agree with several points made by different people. Many kids today are spoiled...Bou has a point; he’s an educator so he sees it everyday and Rob just corroborated his story stating many kids have their own phones, TVs, the latest clothing styles & sneakers, etc. I also agree w/ Pfire. Parents can do all they can to keep kids in line; don't cuss, provide discipline, set positive examples, spend time w/ the kids, etc. but when push comes to shove, often peer pressure sets in and a kid's life can be changed. Hanging out w/ the wrong crowd is all it takes. And even if they're not hanging out w/ that wrong crowd, some kids think they're missing out on something "special" so they rebel and try things they normally wouldn't or know better about doing. That’s when we hear on TV or in the newspaper “So & So would never have done that.” I don’t put it past anyone to do anything. We can live with someone for 20 years and think we know them and they’ll do something to surprise us (positive or negative).

But back to the main story...a kid puts perfume in an administrator's drink. I’m glad they arrested the kid. She needs to be accountable for her actions. In this case (from other’s accounts) it appears to be a family problem. If you were brought up in a household where your parents were violent, ignored you, didn't respect you, drank or did drugs, then it’s highly plausible to assume you’ll behave similarly. A lot of people rise above that, but it takes a strong person to do it. We all react differently to cause & effect. I’ve done some rotten things in my life to people that I’m ashamed of (nothing adversely extreme, by society standards). My parents would NEVER have done anything like that (ok…I should never say never…they were young once, too, and I have no clue what kinds of things they did). My point is I was responsible for my behavior…no one else. This girl in the story will look back at this incident a few years down the road and she’ll be very ashamed of it or she’ll brag about it and she’ll simply never “get it”. She clearly has other behavioral issues that may or may not be worked out in time.

All too often I hear parents threaten to take some privileges away, or “if you don’t behave, we’re going home”, or something similar. Then they don’t follow through when the kid continues his behavior. Kids pick up on that very quickly. I’m not a parent. Will never know what it’s like to feel such accountability & responsibility over kids. I speak from observation & experience (like we all do). I do know that both “good” and “bad” parents struggle daily with the kids’ attitudes, back talk, lack of respect, etc….you know what I’m talking about. I take my hats off to you parents…it’s easy to be a back seat driver and tell you what direction to steer.

I’ve babbled long enough. This topic is actually something I’m passionate about because we tend to put blame on certain people (normally parents) when kids are “bad”, when in fact, society, TV, movies, music, upbringing, peer pressure, circumstances, and life are all factors in how our kids act. I hate it when we blame others for our actions. The bottom line is that everyone is responsible for their own behavior and we should be accountable for our actions.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default It used to be more than just the parents, too

When I was a kid, any adult in my neighborhood could correct me. I was a little scared of adults, and looking back I don't think that was a bad thing.

These days no one wants anyone else to say anything to their children, it seems. I've been in lines and had someone's kid kicking me in the calf and when I turn around and give the kid a nasty look and grown at him to "stop that, right now" I get offended looks from the parents.

When I was a kid and an adult told me to do something, or to not do something, it would have never crossed my mind to say "You're not my dad/mom" - how often do you hear that now? Whenever a kid says that to me now, I say "You're damn right I'm not, I'm far meaner than him/her."

That said, I always knew the difference between an adult correcting me and a creep trying to get me to do something I shouldn't. My obedience did not extend to some stranger telling me to get in his car. I guess parents these days are so afraid of the "get in the car" scenario that they don't want their kids to listen to anything that a strange adult says. It's a sad state of affairs. Because I don't see how two parents (or in so many cases, one parent) can raise a child - a community does.
    Last edited by baileydonk; 12-16-2005 at 12:09 PM.
    -------;- "Aaaaa!!"
    Remember - always wear your helmet around one-eyed women with pike poles

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

If my kid ever does something like that, I have a goat shed he can stay in until he's ready to rejoin society. Comes with 4 goats and a little bit of hay.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Quote Originally Posted by RadRob
    I was 23 years old when I finally stood up to my father for something I didn't agree with. He reminded me to respect his authority and when I bowed up to him, he put me through a sheetrock wall. A little rough? Probably, but it got the point across. I am by no means saying go overboard, but an *****-whoopin' is what the little ****** need.
    No offense Rob, but if my dad did that to me, at age 23, I'd probably throw him through a window. especially just for not agreeing with him. and then I'd have him arrested for assualt. And I like my dad.

This girl should be expelled from school, and spend time in prison. As norm said, she tried to poison her principal. keep her away from the rest of society until she's ready to rejoin it.

On the topic of parenting, it's not always the parents fault. Parents need to raise their kids right. but kids still make their own choices. Even with the best parents, kids will get in trouble. Let the kid be responsible for his or her own actions.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Thread Information