Thread: Tic Batteries

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Tic Batteries

Thermal Imaging Cameras--Does anyone have a personal preference over rechargeable and standard battery packs(not rechargeable). If so, why? We are currently in need of three as the 6 year old rechargeables are not taking a charge any more and my super asked me which I though was better. I thought the rechargeable. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Forum Member

Even though the rechargable are more expensive initially you will save money in the long run. If you have received six years out of the batteries then they have been very good. The average life span for a rechargable battery is less than five years.

Talk to you supervisor and see what the price is for the rechargables and the price for the non-rechargable. Once you get that, see over a given period what monies will be expended on the two. I will bet that it will be cheaper to stay with the rechargable ones.

Also check with the maufacture of the TIC and see if they even recommend the use of a non-rechargable battery.
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

Forum Member

What kind of TIC are you looking for batteries on? I might have some available...
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

I would suggest the rechargeable replacement. You will go through a lot of regular batteries if you use it much at all.

Forum Member

one thing to keep in mind, rechargeable batteries don't keep their charge on the shelf as long as regular ones. so if you use your TIC often, rechargeable might be the wya to go. however, if it spends most of the time in the truck, and only gets used a couple of times a month (and when the batteries get low you switch them), then non-rechargeables might be better.

you wouldn't want to pull the TIC out on a fire, and find the batteries in the TIC are dead.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

We have two imagers. The first is a Argus+EDPS, yellow in color, and a possible model number of P4438, which is located near the viewing area. I say possible because its the only other number besides the serial#. Camera two is a Argus II Marconi, black in color, with the possible model # of P4455R. Both of these take the same batteries. Any help would certainly be greatly appreciated. Stay safe. KV

Forum Member

I was guessing it was an Argus.

I have some batteries and chargers sitting around my building not being used. Give me an address and UPS will deliver a Christmas present.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Two rechargeable and one battery pack. The battery pack will have a longer shelf life when not in use and is handy to have as a back up. Also cycle your rechargeable batteries it may help you get longer life out of them. Although six years is not bad. If I am stuck on an engine I put the battery pack in my pocket if I take the TIC because it seems as though the rechargeables are not always real reliable.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    I was guessing it was an Argus.

I have some batteries and chargers sitting around my building not being used. Give me an address and UPS will deliver a Christmas present.
    See... THAT IS HOW THIS FORUM IS SUPPOSED TO WORK. Everyone helping others out rather than arguing about lights, unions, excessive expenditures, etc... Good to see, even if it is one out of a hundred.

Bones - Hats off to ya. We may disagree on a few things, but I guess you're an ok guy.

MembersZone Subscriber

Bones, If you don't get my email let me know on this forum. Also let me know what the shipping was and I'll send you out the money. Thanks. Stay safe.
    Last edited by kennyv; 12-15-2005 at 02:15 AM.

Forum Member

Kennyv, no email. You can PM me through firehouse.com as well.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by RadRob
    See... THAT IS HOW THIS FORUM IS SUPPOSED TO WORK. Everyone helping others out rather than arguing about lights, unions, excessive expenditures, etc... Good to see, even if it is one out of a hundred.

Bones - Hats off to ya. We may disagree on a few things, but I guess you're an ok guy.
    What did not know is that this is a secret thread for what color lights an whacker has on his vehicle. By your response you indicated that green and amber was you color of choice.
    K-9 hunt, the ultimate challange.
    EVERYONE GOES HOME
    IACOJ

Thread Information