Forum Member

DC doesn't provide housing for recruits... although there's not a residency requirement anymore, it can make for a long drive to the academy everyday for 3 months... There are plenty of county firehouses in MD and VA that will probably allow you to live-in with some provisions...

MembersZone Subscriber

Hi,

Has anybody taken the physical agility test recently?

Any word on academy start date, or size??

Thanks

Forum Member

I have a question about the application process. The last time they gave a test I got an application ahead of time from the HR. The job announcement opened on a Saturday, so HR told me to have my application in by the Friday prior to the Saturday job opening.
    I sent my application delivery confirmation so I know they got it. When I got a letter from HR they said that my mailed application couldn't be considered because they had hit the maximum amount of applicants by accepting those who applied in person that Saturday (they had camped out for days I was told) ahead of mailed applicants. So even though they got my application before the announcement opened they didn't consider it until all the "in person" apps were accepted that Saturday.

Any idea if this would happen again????

MembersZone Subscriber

WHALER,

Did you apply for paramedic firefighter or EMT firefighter?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by brianandgail
    WHALER,

Did you apply for paramedic firefighter or EMT firefighter?
    The Firefighter/EMT Job

MembersZone Subscriber

I didn't camp out for days ahead of time (got there about half an hour early), but I think I was one of the last apps that they took that Saturday morning. I went to a firehouse that was kind of in the "hood," so there weren't as many people there as if I had gone to the one in Georgetown or somewhere like that. I would show up a few hours early--if the process is the same as last time, you need to do it in person.
    Brianandgail--I get out of the Navy in March.
    Best of luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just took the physical ability test.

1st event- aerial ladder climb. 60* 50ft.
    2nd event- open and close a hydrant (17 turns each.)
    3rd event- grab 12ft roof ladder off of Engine, carry it to the drill tower, and return it to the engine.

4th Event- raise fly of 30ft ext ladder that is mounted to the drill tower. (Like CPAT)

5th event- advance 100ft of 1.5" hose.

6th event- carry high rise kit up 6 flights of drill tower and back down.

7th event- simulate ceiling pull. (similar to CPAT)

8th event- put on blacked out mask, manuever through maze.

9th event- drag dummy 50 ft.

DC office of personnel said that the next written exam will be May 20th. They said to keep an eye on their web site. It will be updated in February.
    They said that they will only accept the first 1500 applications.

Does anyone have any info as to when the academy will start?
    I was told that one class may start today. 1/23/06.

MembersZone Subscriber

DC office of personnel said that the next written exam will be May 20th. They said to keep an eye on their web site. It will be updated in February.
    They said that they will only accept the first 1500 applications.

If this is true I would plan on staying overnight the day before applications are taken.

www.fireprep.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Good luck to all of you. Yes our cost of living is high but our salary is excellent for the area and with 24-72 shifts you can live far enough away, we are a old school traditional department with extremely agressive interior operations. While our fires are not what they were there is still plenty of fire duty, also we have recently taken over the ambulances so be prepared to ride them, and they are all busy, however it is a great place to work our morale is a bit low which is due to the ever changing ems plan however it will be corrected eventually and become part of the job.

MembersZone Subscriber

We just got off the phone with recruitment(202-673-3330) and they informed us that applications will be given out the first weekend in February and continue through the month. Applications will accepted on one day only sometime in March.

This is NOT in stone but appears to be close to how it will be done. They expect 4,000 people to take out applications with only 1500 accepted.

Keep checking the website below for the most updated exam info.

http://fems.dc.gov/fems/cwp/view,a,3,q,525752,femsNav,|31507|.asp

Don McNea Fire School will be conducting preparatory classes or developing an exam prep package for the 2006 Washington D/C fire exam. Go to www.fireprep.com and enter your e-mail address for our newsletter to keep you updated. Good luck !!

MembersZone Subscriber

I was told that a recruit class has started on January 23rd. Anybody have any info about it?

Forum Member

Oh boy, I just found this thread. Sorry I couldn't help out sooner. For those of you applying for the Firefighter/Paramedic position, don't give up hope. Call 202-673-3330 every once in a while if you haven't heard anything. If you get hired as a FF/P, you will go thru the fire academy the same as a FF/EMT, but will at some point go thru field evaluations on a medic unit. Once cleared to practice, you will be likely assigned to a Paramedic Engine Company. If there are no PEC vacancies when you get out of the academy, you will be assigned to a regular engine or truck, then detailed out or transferred when a vacancy arises. You will also be required to complete the same 1 year probation requirements as any other firefighter. FF/Ps are not assigned to transport units at this time. The only time they are on transport units is when they go to the hospital with a BLS unit, get evaluated, or work overtime,etc.

For those of you that want to apply for the Firefighter/EMT position, the next test is scheduled for 5/20/06. You must first get an application (DC form 2000) starting 2/6/06. Then, with your completed application, report to one of nine locations in DC AS EARLY AS PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE on 3/25/06 but no later than 10:00 so you can stand in line and turn it in. Do not joke around with this part. They will only accept 1500 applications. If you want the J-O-B, work harder then the guy next to you the whole way thru the process. The official info should be on www.fems.dc.gov soon.

I do not work for the personnel office, they have the final say. Info subject to change when the wind blows.
    Also, the class that started 1/23/06 was for about 6 or so FF/Ps.
    Last edited by DCFDCAR5; 02-03-2006 at 08:15 PM.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info, where do you go to get the initial applications can I download it. Also, can you elaborate on the part of physically possible. Should I arrive at like 5o'clock in the morning and stand in line? If you can show up at nine locations how will they know when they have 1500 applications.

Forum Member

You should arrive as early as circumstances allow. Pretend its the new Harry Potter movie and sleep outside in a tent if you have to. They will only accept 223 applications at each location, so if you find yourself #224 in line, go somewhere else. You should be able to download an application and announcement from www.dcop.dc.gov
    Last edited by DCFDCAR5; 02-02-2006 at 07:50 PM.

Forum Member

Default Direct link to 2006 DCFD exam information

Forum Member

is the dc2000 application the right one online to download?

MembersZone Subscriber

I was wondering the same thing, is that the correct form? Its the only application that I could find on the human resources page. There was a section where you could fill out the applicaiton online, but that doesn't matter because you need to turn it in in-person.

Forum Member

DC2000 is the correct application. I recommend you download and complete it at home, that way you can make sure you filled it out correctly the first time. Bring your completed DC2000 with you to the drop off point at the proper time. It will make your day go much faster. Even if you don't turn in the one you downloaded, you can use it as a reference for filling out another one.

Forum Member

Default DCFD Application

Hey guys,

2 questions:

Do we need to fill out the "Ranking Factors" part of the application?

Do we need to have a supplemental resume? In the announcement there was mentioning of a resume....

Thanks

Forum Member

"Do we need to fill out the "Ranking Factors" part of the application?

Do we need to have a supplemental resume? In the announcement there was mentioning of a resume...."

No, to both questions.

For more information, please call the DC Fire/EMS Recruiting Officer at (202) 673-3330.
    Last edited by DCFDCAR5; 02-16-2006 at 06:56 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Did anyone notice the numbers?

I don't get it. They say that they are taking 1500 applications. Then they say that they are taking 223 in 9 locations. However, 223 x 9 = 2007. So how many are they taking? 1500 or 2007?

Forum Member

Read the announcement people.
    A maximum of 2,007 applications will be accepted; however, only the first 1,500 qualified applicants will be invited to take the written examination.
    https://erecruit.pshcm.asmp.dc.gov/p...NAVSTACK=Clear go to view job postings, select firefighter/emt.

Forum Member

Damn age discrimination!
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    Damn age discrimination!
    US CODE: Title 29
    § 623. Prohibition of age discrimination
    (j) Employment as firefighter or law enforcement officer
    It shall not be unlawful for an employer which is a State, a political subdivision of a State, an agency or instrumentality of a State or a political subdivision of a State, or an interstate agency to fail or refuse to hire or to discharge any individual because of such individual’s age if such action is taken—
    (1) with respect to the employment of an individual as a firefighter or as a law enforcement officer, the employer has complied with section 3(d)(2) of the Age Discrimination in Employment Amendments of 1996 [2] if the individual was discharged after the date described in such section, and the individual has attained—
    (A) the age of hiring or retirement, respectively, in effect under applicable State or local law on March 3, 1983; or
    (B)
    (i) if the individual was not hired, the age of hiring in effect on the date of such failure or refusal to hire under applicable State or local law enacted after September 30, 1996; or
    (ii) if applicable State or local law was enacted after September 30, 1996, and the individual was discharged, the higher of—
    (I) the age of retirement in effect on the date of such discharge under such law; and
    (II) age 55; and
    (2) pursuant to a bona fide hiring or retirement plan that is not a subterfuge to evade the purposes of this chapter.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DCFDCAR5
    US CODE: Title 29
    § 623. Prohibition of age discrimination
    (j) Employment as firefighter or law enforcement officer
    It shall not be unlawful for an employer which is a State, a political subdivision of a State, an agency or instrumentality of a State or a political subdivision of a State, or an interstate agency to fail or refuse to hire or to discharge any individual because of such individual’s age if such action is taken—
    (1) with respect to the employment of an individual as a firefighter or as a law enforcement officer, the employer has complied with section 3(d)(2) of the Age Discrimination in Employment Amendments of 1996 [2] if the individual was discharged after the date described in such section, and the individual has attained—
    (A) the age of hiring or retirement, respectively, in effect under applicable State or local law on March 3, 1983; or
    (B)
    (i) if the individual was not hired, the age of hiring in effect on the date of such failure or refusal to hire under applicable State or local law enacted after September 30, 1996; or
    (ii) if applicable State or local law was enacted after September 30, 1996, and the individual was discharged, the higher of—
    (I) the age of retirement in effect on the date of such discharge under such law; and
    (II) age 55; and
    (2) pursuant to a bona fide hiring or retirement plan that is not a subterfuge to evade the purposes of this chapter.
    Just because it is legal does not mean it is fair.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Thread Information