MembersZone Subscriber

Are you serious about the possibility of 4,000 applications? I may have to purchase a tent for Friday night...
    Local 2068

MembersZone Subscriber

Dennis

You can come in as a civilian Paramedic or IP and lateral over to Firefighting. It's already been done by some. Fossil.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by R1SAlum
    Dennis

You can come in as a civilian Paramedic or IP and lateral over to Firefighting. It's already been done by some. Fossil.
    But I hate blood!
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

If you are reading this message, you should be getting off the computer and on your way with your tent and sleeping bag to DC right now. Bring warm clothes and some food. Hope your bladder doesn't give out at the wrong time, and good luck to all.

Forum Member

Question Question FF/PM ??

I understand that tomorrow is a one shot deal for the FF/EMT-B job application period..

How long is the department going to recruit for the FF/Paramedic job?

Is it going to stay "open recruitment" for the time being until it's filled?

Forum Member

On Saturday D/C accepted apps. I don't know about anyone else, but my experience was definetly eye opening. I drove down from PA and after realizing I wasn't in Amish Country any more, I happened along the Rec center at 10th & G. There were about 75-80 people in line, not counting the ones who were in their cars while their buddies held their spot. It was about 6 a.m. when I got there. After about 3 hours the line seemed like it had grown to about 150. As 10 fast approached the natives started getting restless and tensions did build. When they finally opened the doors they took 1 person in at a time. It took about 2-3 minutes per person and then next in line to the door. Well by about 12 with only a handful of people through the door tensions got hot. People actually had the LACK of integrity or respect for others and actually line jumped and cut in front of others. Words flew and the person in charge of things had to intervine. The line was a disorganized mob at best and when the D.C. Staff asked for people to turn the line around to move it back to make space top make it a single file line, people had the nerve to curse him out. They actually were going to close the place down! These are the same people who expect to go to the Academy? I often wonder if some people who apply for positions in Fire/EMS, and Police work really realize what all is really expected of them.. Well in the end cooler heads prevailed and we all ghot through. I finally got my app dropped off at 2:30 p.m. at number 135. Good luck to all who did get your apps in. Oh yeah thanks to the 2 girls 1 from D.C. and the other from NY, who were thinking and ordered Domino's to deliver!!!!!!

Forum Member

Default D/C fire academy

Does anyone know how hard the DC fire academy is? I'm active duty Air Force and I don't want to seperate from the Air Force if my chance of failing out of the academy is very high? How many recruit classes do they have per year? What is the average class size?

Forum Member

It's not a bad (tough-wise) academy, they'll give you a hard time and stuff, but it would be hard to fail out unless you quit. Otherwise, they'll walk you through it and make sure you pass... because trust me, there have been some real POS's that have made it through, even without completing some of the PT... it's up to you, but I think you'd make it w/o a problem.
    Last edited by LPFD53; 04-04-2006 at 10:30 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I just received my papers in the mail about being accepted for the written exam on May 20th. Just wondering if anyone knows how long before another recruit class will held.......on the DCFD website they have a story about one of the classes running on the Mall, so to me, if they already have one class going on now, it will probably be a while before another class is held.

Forum Member

Default DCFD Academy

I read the same story you did. From what I've read throughout the forums.....I've heard that DC only accepts applications every two years, those people who make it through the entire process is sent to the academy over the following 2 years. So, there is a possiblity that if you make it through you may not see the academy for up to 2 years.

I think this sucks because I'm on active duty and I don't want to seperate from the military and be unemployeed for a year before I get in the academy.

I have a quick question to......I read the article about the recruits running 8 miles to the Washington National Mall...How often do they do something like that? I'm in great shape, but 8 miles is a long way.......Am I the only one concerned about this?
    What is the hardest physical aspect of the academy? Cam someone give me some insight on what goes on there outside of the classroom?

Forum Member

Dude, the academy isn't hard, especially if you're active duty military. You'd probably get to be a class leader if you're loud and know cadences. You only do a long run at the end of the academy, and it's at the slowest person's pace, so for you it might not even be a "run", but more of a jog. We can't tell you everything that the academy is all about, I'm 100% sure it's easier than bootcamp, though I've never been through bootcamp. The hardest thing you will do is run up the 6 story tower with a 2.5" rack, breathing air, multiple times. Other than that, PT for an hour or 2, shower up, go to classroom, sweep & mop floors, wax the floors when the instructors are really pressed for stuff to do. After a few weeks of classroom stuff, they start to integrate drills and outside stuff.
    I don't think you'd have to quit your AF position right away. Take the test, see how you do, if you're up there in list #, then start thinking about it. If you're below 200, then you've got a while. Class sizes are around 20-30 people, but with all the "paramedic" **** going on, who knows!

MembersZone Subscriber

LPFD 53, are you a DC recruit now? If so, when did you guys start?

Thanks,
    Brian

Forum Member

Default D/C Fire acedmy

Thanks for the information.

Forum Member

Mikeco5,
    There are actually 4 Recruit Classes going on at Training School right now. Classes are run on an as-needed basis. The last test was in 2003 and the test before that was in 1998 the test before that one was used for about 10 years or so that means you need to study your butt off and score high on the test so you can be on top of the list. With all the Paramedic F/F's they are hiring it's hard to tell how many more "Real Firemen" (sorry guys had to throw that in) will be hired. If it take's two years or so to come on-board believe me it is well worth it!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by brianandgail
    LPFD 53, are you a DC recruit now? If so, when did you guys start?

Thanks,
    Brian
    Brian,
    Stop reading and posting on this forum and get your blue-book done!

MembersZone Subscriber

DCFD25,

Thanks for the info. I already have the Don Mcnea Washington DC Preparatory Gold Package, and am currently studying. How much does the written score actually weight in the hiring process. As I understand it, the oral interview can make-up about 30-40% of the criteria in which you are hired. Meaning that if I score a 100% on the written but totally bomb the oral's then I may not get hired, do you have any insight on this? As far as being a paramedic, Iam currently a Maryland State certified EMT-B and dont have 100% objection to becoming a paramedic (as long as they train me).

One more question, I have a bachelors degree from UMUC in a non-fire related subject will they factor this into my total score, does it give me an edge?

Thanks alot

Mike

MembersZone Subscriber

There is no interview for this job other than an exam with the shrink, both written and oral.
    The agility is pass/fail.
    The written means everything.

Forum Member

mikeco5,

The written test is it!!!! If you score the highest on the test then you will be the first person called, so STUDY, STUDY, STUDY.

No oral exam, no prior F/F classes needed, and collage only helps when you are trying to get promoted. People this is an "ENTRY LEVEL POSITION"

They will train you as a medic after you get hired if that's what you want. If you want to come in the backdoor as a Medic F/F you must be nationaly certified already, and you have to stay a medic for your entire career!

Forum Member

college, sorry I just caught the typo.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dcfd25
    They will train you as a medic after you get hired if that's what you want.
    Not saying that I WANT to become a medic, but from the rumors that having been floating around about all new FF's having to become Paramedics, new hires may have no choice.

Forum Member

Default Study material

What study material do you guys recommend? Any study guides you guys recommend?

MembersZone Subscriber

Go to the link below for Washington DC exam prep. Good luck !!

http://www.fireprep.com/washington__...ghter_exa.html

www.fireprep.com
    1-800-989-FIRE

Forum Member

mikeco5,

DCFD can not make anybody become a medic, you applied for F/F EMT, and EMT is all you need. Alot of the guys on the job here have never even taken an EMT Class.

Shane19,

When I was studying for the test, I used the "F/F Exam Preparation Book" it's only $15.00 from www.firebooks.com, they also have a book thats full of practice tests for $20.00 or so. I have never seen the book that DM-FIRE-SCHOOL is selling but I Know they were here on app. day 3/25 pushing thier products at the Rec. Centers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ive got the Don Mcnea package listed on the website above, fireprep.com. I also have the Firefighter Exam: The Complete Preparation. They seem to both have good study questions. I think the only way to prepare yourself is to take the practice tests they give, the other tips listed in these books seem like common knowledge, ie. eliminate wrong answers, don't spend to much time on any single question, etc..

Forum Member

The test, from what I can remember, was mostly reading comprehension. You read a long *** story & answer a question. No F/F questions, just general knowledge (reading, math, problem solving)

Thread Information