Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
    Forum Member

Dude, the academy isn't hard, especially if you're active duty military. You'd probably get to be a class leader if you're loud and know cadences. You only do a long run at the end of the academy, and it's at the slowest person's pace, so for you it might not even be a "run", but more of a jog. We can't tell you everything that the academy is all about, I'm 100% sure it's easier than bootcamp, though I've never been through bootcamp. The hardest thing you will do is run up the 6 story tower with a 2.5" rack, breathing air, multiple times. Other than that, PT for an hour or 2, shower up, go to classroom, sweep & mop floors, wax the floors when the instructors are really pressed for stuff to do. After a few weeks of classroom stuff, they start to integrate drills and outside stuff.
    I don't think you'd have to quit your AF position right away. Take the test, see how you do, if you're up there in list #, then start thinking about it. If you're below 200, then you've got a while. Class sizes are around 20-30 people, but with all the "paramedic" **** going on, who knows!

MembersZone Subscriber

LPFD 53, are you a DC recruit now? If so, when did you guys start?

Thanks,
    Brian

Forum Member

Default D/C Fire acedmy

Thanks for the information.

Forum Member

Mikeco5,
    There are actually 4 Recruit Classes going on at Training School right now. Classes are run on an as-needed basis. The last test was in 2003 and the test before that was in 1998 the test before that one was used for about 10 years or so that means you need to study your butt off and score high on the test so you can be on top of the list. With all the Paramedic F/F's they are hiring it's hard to tell how many more "Real Firemen" (sorry guys had to throw that in) will be hired. If it take's two years or so to come on-board believe me it is well worth it!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by brianandgail
    LPFD 53, are you a DC recruit now? If so, when did you guys start?

Thanks,
    Brian
    Brian,
    Stop reading and posting on this forum and get your blue-book done!

MembersZone Subscriber

DCFD25,

Thanks for the info. I already have the Don Mcnea Washington DC Preparatory Gold Package, and am currently studying. How much does the written score actually weight in the hiring process. As I understand it, the oral interview can make-up about 30-40% of the criteria in which you are hired. Meaning that if I score a 100% on the written but totally bomb the oral's then I may not get hired, do you have any insight on this? As far as being a paramedic, Iam currently a Maryland State certified EMT-B and dont have 100% objection to becoming a paramedic (as long as they train me).

One more question, I have a bachelors degree from UMUC in a non-fire related subject will they factor this into my total score, does it give me an edge?

Thanks alot

Mike

MembersZone Subscriber

There is no interview for this job other than an exam with the shrink, both written and oral.
    The agility is pass/fail.
    The written means everything.

Forum Member

mikeco5,

The written test is it!!!! If you score the highest on the test then you will be the first person called, so STUDY, STUDY, STUDY.

No oral exam, no prior F/F classes needed, and collage only helps when you are trying to get promoted. People this is an "ENTRY LEVEL POSITION"

They will train you as a medic after you get hired if that's what you want. If you want to come in the backdoor as a Medic F/F you must be nationaly certified already, and you have to stay a medic for your entire career!

Forum Member

college, sorry I just caught the typo.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dcfd25
    They will train you as a medic after you get hired if that's what you want.
    Not saying that I WANT to become a medic, but from the rumors that having been floating around about all new FF's having to become Paramedics, new hires may have no choice.

Forum Member

Default Study material

What study material do you guys recommend? Any study guides you guys recommend?

MembersZone Subscriber

Go to the link below for Washington DC exam prep. Good luck !!

http://www.fireprep.com/washington__...ghter_exa.html

www.fireprep.com
    1-800-989-FIRE

Forum Member

mikeco5,

DCFD can not make anybody become a medic, you applied for F/F EMT, and EMT is all you need. Alot of the guys on the job here have never even taken an EMT Class.

Shane19,

When I was studying for the test, I used the "F/F Exam Preparation Book" it's only $15.00 from www.firebooks.com, they also have a book thats full of practice tests for $20.00 or so. I have never seen the book that DM-FIRE-SCHOOL is selling but I Know they were here on app. day 3/25 pushing thier products at the Rec. Centers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ive got the Don Mcnea package listed on the website above, fireprep.com. I also have the Firefighter Exam: The Complete Preparation. They seem to both have good study questions. I think the only way to prepare yourself is to take the practice tests they give, the other tips listed in these books seem like common knowledge, ie. eliminate wrong answers, don't spend to much time on any single question, etc..

Forum Member

The test, from what I can remember, was mostly reading comprehension. You read a long *** story & answer a question. No F/F questions, just general knowledge (reading, math, problem solving)

MembersZone Subscriber

How long before you get the results for the written, or do they just tell you if you passed or failed?

Forum Member

You get your scores back in a couple of weeks. It is not pass/fail, you are scored 0%-100% like in school. You get 5 extra points for military and 5 points if you live in DC for a grand total of 110%

Forum Member

All you need is one of the Barron's or Arco books to study from. Study it well, do all the practice tests, and you'll be fine. They are about $10-15 each. You don't need any fancy "Don McNea" Prep stuff... it's a general knowledge test, if you passed high school, you should be fine. College - even better. Just read up on some reading comp., math, and learn how to do memory-type questions - that's for about any civil-service type fire test you will take.

Forum Member

Shane19: If you scored well on your ASVAB, you will likely do the same on the DC test.

dcfd25: What is the difference between a "Real fireman" and Paramedic/FF? Some of us came in the old-fashioned way, you know. We might be typing on another computer in the same firehouse, at the same time as you...

Oh by the way, DC is not likely to train anyone as an EMT-P in the near future. All the upgrade classes since 2004 have been EMT-I/99.

Forum Member

Default Free study material

Guys, thanks for all the info.I'm so happy I found this forum, it's been very helpful.
    I downloaded the Don McNae fire study guide and was very dissapointed. I feel like I wasted $39.95. If it had cost $15, I wouldn't be complaining. I thought there was going to be some specific info about D/C firefighter exam, but there wasn't. I thought it would be organized well, but it wasn't. It looked as if they scaned a bunch of typed pages and threw it together. The graphics were even very differcult to read. Don't get me wrong the info is heplful if it's all you have but, it's really not worth the $40 for the Gold package. I should have just stuck with the Arco study material you can get online for free . Arco offers way more info than the McNae study guide. 165 pages, vs 430 pages .And over 600 questions with explanations to all the answers....so you can get an understanding to why it's the correct answer.

If anyone interested in the Arco study material shoot me an email and I will send you the link.

bronzegoddess19@yahoo.com

Thread Information