MembersZone Subscriber

How long before you get the results for the written, or do they just tell you if you passed or failed?

Forum Member

You get your scores back in a couple of weeks. It is not pass/fail, you are scored 0%-100% like in school. You get 5 extra points for military and 5 points if you live in DC for a grand total of 110%

Forum Member

All you need is one of the Barron's or Arco books to study from. Study it well, do all the practice tests, and you'll be fine. They are about $10-15 each. You don't need any fancy "Don McNea" Prep stuff... it's a general knowledge test, if you passed high school, you should be fine. College - even better. Just read up on some reading comp., math, and learn how to do memory-type questions - that's for about any civil-service type fire test you will take.

Forum Member

Shane19: If you scored well on your ASVAB, you will likely do the same on the DC test.

dcfd25: What is the difference between a "Real fireman" and Paramedic/FF? Some of us came in the old-fashioned way, you know. We might be typing on another computer in the same firehouse, at the same time as you...

Oh by the way, DC is not likely to train anyone as an EMT-P in the near future. All the upgrade classes since 2004 have been EMT-I/99.

Forum Member

Default Free study material

Guys, thanks for all the info.I'm so happy I found this forum, it's been very helpful.
    I downloaded the Don McNae fire study guide and was very dissapointed. I feel like I wasted $39.95. If it had cost $15, I wouldn't be complaining. I thought there was going to be some specific info about D/C firefighter exam, but there wasn't. I thought it would be organized well, but it wasn't. It looked as if they scaned a bunch of typed pages and threw it together. The graphics were even very differcult to read. Don't get me wrong the info is heplful if it's all you have but, it's really not worth the $40 for the Gold package. I should have just stuck with the Arco study material you can get online for free . Arco offers way more info than the McNae study guide. 165 pages, vs 430 pages .And over 600 questions with explanations to all the answers....so you can get an understanding to why it's the correct answer.

If anyone interested in the Arco study material shoot me an email and I will send you the link.

bronzegoddess19@yahoo.com

Forum Member

Talking

dcfdcar5,

dcfd25: What is the difference between a "Real fireman" and Paramedic/FF? Some of us came in the old-fashioned way, you know. We might be typing on another computer in the same firehouse, at the same time as you...

1."Real firemen/Paramedic FF" That was just a joke, sorry if I offended you.

"Oh by the way, DC is not likely to train anyone as an EMT-P in the near future. All the upgrade classes since 2004 have been EMT-I/99."

2.Who cares!!!

Forum Member

dcfd25:
    ""Oh by the way, DC is not likely to train anyone as an EMT-P in the near future. All the upgrade classes since 2004 have been EMT-I/99."

2.Who cares!!!"
    I think people like mikeco5 and others who want jobs might care:

Quote Originally Posted by mikeco5
    Not saying that I WANT to become a medic, but from the rumors that having been floating around about all new FF's having to become Paramedics, new hires may have no choice.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone know how many they are trying to hire from this test?

Forum Member

I heard they were trying to a little over a hunderd, but don't quote me on that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shane19
    I heard they were trying to a little over a hunderd, but don't quote me on that.
    Sorry, I had to be a jerk

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Background Portion

Does anybody have an idea of what they do in DC for the background check...I heard about the blue book but don't really know anything else. Any info would be appreciated.

Forum Member

Default test results

Does anyone know how long it takes to get the results from the exam the DCFD gave on the 20th of May.

MembersZone Subscriber

4-6 weeks... so they say

Forum Member

Default Fire exam

Do they send letters to everyone that tested or does the high scoring people get responses?

MembersZone Subscriber

So does anyone have a clue on how long it takes to get our results? They were saying 4-6 weeks, but considering that yesterday was 6 weeks I guess it wasn't true. Anybody??? I just want to relieve some anxiety.

MembersZone Subscriber

I figured the results wouldn't be in the timeframe they indicated especially judging by the way the application turn in and actual testing was coordinated. When I took the test for PG, they said test results would be given in 14 days, 3 weeks later I got a call for my background interview without ever getting test results? We'll see how much longer it takes DC, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

MembersZone Subscriber

I spoke with DC personel today and she indicated it would be an additional 5 weeks before the test results are sent out. She said they weren't told why either. ???????

MembersZone Subscriber

OMG, what else is new? I can't beleive you got through to them. I call about 3 times a day and noone ever answers. Anyway... Did they say that it was an additional five weeks from the 4-6 weeks or an additional 5 weeks from when you called?
    Last edited by KeasbeyFD; 07-31-2006 at 12:08 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

See said that it originally was 6 weeks- a week ago, which now caluclates to 5 weeks.

Forum Member

anyone get calls scheduling their agility tests yet?

MembersZone Subscriber

Odd that this happened right after I talked to personnel about getting test results but- Yes. I got a call this morning to take my PAT on Aug. 5th.

Forum Member

Well it's good to see something is going on. Hey Mike, do you have veteran's preference?

MembersZone Subscriber

No I dont have Vet preference. Personally, after taking the test I can remember thinking that if I got any lower then a 90% on that test then I would be disappointed. Apparently I passed. I told the guy on the phone that I hadnt received any test results yet and he wasn't suprised but at the same time he couldnt give me my test results over the phone. Anybody else get a call? Im trying to figure out how they did this, are they calling by last name or are they going by the highest test scores first- does anyone have a clue on how this process is prioritized?

Forum Member

it's gotta go by ranking... so you must have done well... just don't worry about it, but make sure you're in shape - you've only got a week...

MembersZone Subscriber

LPFD: Did you get a call for the PAT as well?

Thread Information