Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 27 123411 ... LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Washington D/C Fire exam 2006

Below is the e-mail we received concerning the Washington D/C fire exam for 2006.

The DC Fire&EMS Department will be administering the Firefighter-EMT entry-level exam in May 2006. The exact date has not been determined yet. Please visit our website at http://fems.dc.gov for future announcements about the upcoming exam.

Thank you,

Captain Campbell

Recruiting

202-673-3330

Don McNea Fire School will be conducting preparatory classes for the 2006 Washington D/C fire exam. Go to www.fireprep.com and enter your e-mail address for our newsletter to be notified when classes will be held. Good luck !!

Brent Collins is an Assistant Fire Chief with the Cleveland Fire Department and President of Don McNea Fire School. Go to www.fireprep.com or www.firemanemtparamedic.com for more information on test taking strategy and advice.

You can find more on testing secrets by Chief Collins in the Jobs/Careers Article section on the drop down menu to the LEFT of this posting.
    Good luck !!
    Last edited by dmfireschool; 12-16-2005 at 10:32 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

[I]"Join the DC Fire/Emergency Medical Services Departmentís proud tradition of service to the nationís capital. Becoming a firefighter/EMT or a paramedic/firefighter in the District gives you access to the best training, the best equipment, and a career of service in one of the nationís top Fire/EMS Departments. We serve a diverse metropolitan population of residents, commuters, and visitors to our nationís capital. We provide protection to the President of the United States, Congress, and foreign embassies.

The Department is actively recruiting National Registry-certified Paramedics and EMT-Intermediates/99 to serve as dual-role Paramedic/Firefighters and single-role Paramedics. For more information about becoming a single-role Paramedic, call the EMS Bureau at (202) 673-3360.

Paramedic/Firefighter entry-level examinations are administered by the DC Office of Personnel. Exam dates are scheduled based on the number of qualified applicants. See the Agency Calendar for scheduled dates.

The next Firefighter/EMT entry-level examination will be administered in 2006, on a date yet to be determined. The examination date and application instructions will be posted on the DC Fire/EMS Department website when finalized.

To find out more about careers with the DC Fire/Emergency Medical Services Department, call the DC Fire/EMS Recruiting Officer at (202) 673-3330."

This was taken off of the DC FIRE EMS web page. It has been reported that they have about 60 FF/Paramedic vacancies. They are giving the written exam twice a month. They are giving the physical 4 times in Jan. 2006.

Forum Member

Question DC FireMEDIC

How does the rotation between Engine and Medic unit work?

I have called 3X in like the past three months and everytime the person on the opposite end does not have a clue?

I mean it's a pretty straight forward question...

"Hello my name is Joe Blow, how does the staffing work for a Firefighter/Paramedic, do you spend 50/50 time between both?"

And they call these people recruiters...?

I like how it always ends up as...

"Let me transfer you to someone who would know more information",

and then it's...

"Hello DC Fire maintenance shop how can I help you..."

Any info would help, I am sick of the same bulls__t, what a waste of

daytime minutes!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by els2180
    How does the rotation between Engine and Medic unit work?

I have called 3X in like the past three months and everytime the person on the opposite end does not have a clue?

I mean it's a pretty straight forward question...

"Hello my name is Joe Blow, how does the staffing work for a Firefighter/Paramedic, do you spend 50/50 time between both?"

And they call these people recruiters...?

I like how it always ends up as...

"Let me transfer you to someone who would know more information",

and then it's...

"Hello DC Fire maintenance shop how can I help you..."

Any info would help, I am sick of the same bulls__t, what a waste of

daytime minutes!

The name in the first post is a Fire Captain, not a civilian in HR that doesn't know what we do or how to refer you. He is a stand-up man and will try to help. For what it's worth, this is an evolving method of service for us and there just aren't that many Firefighters who happen to be paramedics on the job. Just about all of them are assigned to Paramedic engine companies where they are needed to keep those engines operating at that type of service. They ride medics for some training and overtime and there a handfull that are detailed to medic units.

YOu wanted the help and I hope I helped but I hope your done airing out your frustrations towards your potential department.

MembersZone Subscriber

Has anybody out there taken the test for Paramedic/Firefighter??
    Did you get your results?
    What stage are people at?

When is the academy rumored to begin?
    How many to be in the academy??

Forum Member

Hey, how exactly does the process work. Of course you take the written, the physical, probably a polygraph and medical. But when you enter the academy do they train you up as an EMT or a paramedic, do you get a choice in which one. Also what is the written like is fire based or just general knowledge how do you guys suggest study for it. Also is the physical a CPAT or their own version. I hear d.c is a pretty fair city as far as hiring goes so I want to give it a good shot. Any help or suggestions from the brothers on the job would be appreciated.
    Mike

MembersZone Subscriber

Call the recruiter. Captain Campbell has been a big help. Also try Mable Price at DC office of Personnel (220) 671-1830. That is who will be able to answer some of your questions.

The written test was 100 questions. Started off w/ spelling and grammer. Alot of reading comprehension. Alot of math. Had some questions like:

If a fire is 6.1 miles from your firehouse and the pumper can only go 35mph, what is the fastest time that you will arrive at the fire?

They have been giving the Paramedic Firefighter exam 2x's a month.

Captain Campbell will explain the Physical agilities test.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fdnyrules71
    Hey, how exactly does the process work. Of course you take the written, the physical, probably a polygraph and medical. But when you enter the academy do they train you up as an EMT or a paramedic, do you get a choice in which one. Also what is the written like is fire based or just general knowledge how do you guys suggest study for it. Also is the physical a CPAT or their own version. I hear d.c is a pretty fair city as far as hiring goes so I want to give it a good shot. Any help or suggestions from the brothers on the job would be appreciated.
    Mike

They are currently hiring for Paramedic Firefighters. The test in the spring of 2006 is for EMT. You already have to be a medic or EMT to apply.

DC has one of the highest levels of fire duty. Very old, traditional department. Cost of living is very high in the immediate area.

MembersZone Subscriber

DCFD is my dream department. I want to work there so bad I can taste it. I have a question maybe someone can answer. If they are in such need of medics, will they be strict as far as the age requirements? It says on the site that you can't be older than 29 yoa to be hired as a medic/ff. I am 29, 30 in Jan. and will finish up EMT-B in Feb with plans on getting my medic as soon as a class become available which with a little luck will have me being a medic within 2 years of now.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Written exam

The written exam was made by "I/O Solutions".

I would suggest contacting Don McNea Prepatory School to obtain a study guide.

MembersZone Subscriber

Fairfax County uses the same testing company. I can tell you from experience, DO NOT buy the online study guide that you can download from the site for $15. Waste of money. In fact, anyone want a copy, I can probably email it to you for free. Your better off getting a study guide that covers basic math, spelling and reading comp. That is really all that was on the test I took.

Forum Member

appreciate all the help guys, was the physical like the CPAT is it a fifty pound vest?

MembersZone Subscriber

For an explanation on the Physical, contact the Captain in recruitment.

MembersZone Subscriber

Below is a study guide for the Tulsa fire exam that will be given by the test consultant I/O Solutions. This is the same test consultant that gave D/C's last exam and appears to be giving it again.

http://www.cityoftulsa.org/PublicSaf...tudyguide1.pdf

www.firemanEMTParamedic.com
    www.fireprep.com
    Last edited by dmfireschool; 12-22-2005 at 01:29 PM.

Forum Member

Default Ff/pm Q??

Does anybody know how many of the Engine companies are

"Paramedic" engine companies. I think I've only seen one---Engine 16?

Forum Member

8 PECs - Engines 9, 10, 16, 18, 22, 25, 30, 31..... some are not always in service as a PEC though.
    Last edited by LPFD53; 12-22-2005 at 12:14 PM.

Forum Member

Default Questions on D.C.

I have a few questions for Firefighter/Paramedics applying to D.C.

First off how do the firefighters manage to live with the cost of living in the area? Is there a residency requirement for them or do they commute in from farther away where it's more affordable?

As far as being a paramedic/firefighter are you pretty much hated and crapped on by the other firefighters for it?

What is the retirement as far as years and percentages?

I have heard D.C. has a lot of inner problems with racism and the morale being low within the department, is this true?

MembersZone Subscriber

I just spoke with the recruiting office and the Lt. said that the upcoming test will be for FF/EMT's but he said there wasn't a concrete date for the test. You have to do a written test and a physical agility test but he said that there is no oral interview? I didn't understand that one. He also said that there is no pre-req of having to be nationally certified or a state certified EMT, you will be trained once hired.

The cost of living in this area is very high, I live in Southern Maryland where its a little bit better but you can still expect 275-400K for a nice house. I'm sure there is no residency requirements because I know a couple of guys down here that are with DCFD.

Hope this helps a little.

Forum Member

Exclamation Dcfd Ff/pm Q??

Does anybody know how the Promotions would work if you're a dual role employee?? Could you promote on the fire side or the EMS side in "X" number of years if you're hired?

Also reading from the other posts, I assume if your Engine company is not in service as a ALS engine for the tour, shift, etc... that you would be detailed to a Medic unit.... are the Medic units 2 EMT-P's or are they mixed w/ 1 EMT?

Thanks People.

Good luck to all

Forum Member

if you're a medic and working that day, your engine is in service as a PEC... Medic units are staffed with 2 Medics, unless there's a shortage, then they'll downgrade to a "basic" unit with 1 + 1 staffing.
    Medic = 2 medics
    Basic = 1 + 1
    Ambulance = 2 EMTs

Thread Information