Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did you

Forum Member

Default How did you

Hello,

First time posting and was just wondering what others have done to prepare for joining the AF coming from a different branch of the Military.

I have been out of the Marine Corps (Military Police) for 10 years and have just enlisted into the IMA Reserve program to become a FF. I have no orders yet so I am not sure when I will be going to school but most likely Jan or Feb will be when I leave.
    I heard that when you first get to the school your are put through some type of obstacle course to see where you stand physically. Anyone have any details on the course? I am not too worried; I am still physically fit for a 32yr old...

Thanks in advance for any help!

Forum Member

Are you asking about the Fire School? Or something more Air Force specific. There is no preliminary obstacle course at the fire school that you have to go through. Any other questions about the school shoot me an emai... jason.krause@navy.mil

Forum Member

I was just looking to hear stories and personal experiences about other prior service who moved into AF Fire fighting handled the transition into a different branch of service. Thanks for the info and if I have any questions that come up I will shoot an email!

MembersZone Subscriber

WTF? The AF is now allowing prior service to enlist? This was a big fat NO 4 months ago.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default prior service

I know that the Air National Guard is taking prior service and has been for several years. I am not sure about the Air Force Reserve. I do know that the Active Air Force IS NOT taking prior service military, unless things have changed since last week.
    Hope this helps

Forum Member

The Air Force Reserve is taking prior service and the good thing is you keep your rank no matter how long you have been out of the military. You also can cross train into different jobs if your scores are good. I was out 10 years and I am going back in as an E-4. The Active Duty Air Force is not taking any prior service at this time. There are programs in the Reserves that allow you to be Active Duty full time (AGR and ART positions).

If you want any more info let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by NewBieAFFF
    Hello,

First time posting and was just wondering what others have done to prepare for joining the AF coming from a different branch of the Military.

I have been out of the Marine Corps (Military Police) for 10 years and have just enlisted into the IMA Reserve program to become a FF. I have no orders yet so I am not sure when I will be going to school but most likely Jan or Feb will be when I leave.
    I heard that when you first get to the school your are put through some type of obstacle course to see where you stand physically. Anyone have any details on the course? I am not too worried; I am still physically fit for a 32yr old...

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Hi NewBieAFFF,

I am prior service (AF though) in as Reserve AFFF. I was out almost 14 years before I returned to the military. We have several members of our unit that came over from the Army and Marines. One thing you will find out is that we are quite a bit more laid back than the other branches. I don't think you have anything to worry about at the Fire Academy. I was a fit 40 year old when I went through it. Just study hard and have fun (yes, you can do both). Welcome aboard.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber

OK.....Air Guard....what state? I'm gonna start making some phone calls. I never thought I'd say this, but I miss the military

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Air Guard

Depending where you are in Kansas would depend on who you need to call. Here is a starting point:

There is a unit at:

McConnell AFB, KS
    52955 Jayhawk Dr - Suite #5
    McConnell AFB, KS 67221
    phone: (800)-892-5264
    email: 184arw@recruiting.goang.com

Topeka, KS
    TSgt Martha Ryan at (785) 861-4138 or email: martha.ryan@kstope.ang.af.mil.

MembersZone Subscriber

That's reserve right? AF Reserve has no firefighters in Kansas. Closest one was Tinker. But, I'm going to e-mail her anyway. THANKS!
    Last edited by Tiredoldman; 12-16-2005 at 09:52 PM.

Forum Member

What about Buckley in Denver

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Guard

That was actually contacts for the Air Guard. If you want AF Reserve, here you go:

www.afreserve.com

and you will find information there for the reserves.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well &^%. Air Guard = NO PRIOR SERVICE. We'll see how the AF reserve does.

Quote Originally Posted by angfireman
    I know that the Air National Guard is taking prior service and has been for several years. I am not sure about the Air Force Reserve. I do know that the Active Air Force IS NOT taking prior service military, unless things have changed since last week.
    Hope this helps
    Changed about two weeks ago, everyone has been told to accept prior service, and the best part about it is Marines don't have to do ANYONE else's boot camp. Everyone else has to do our's though. There was stuff on DefenseLink.mil a week or so ago.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

1 member of my FD transferred from the Coast Guard Reserve into the AF Reserve about 3 months ago. 2 members of my Marine Reserve unit transferred to the Ohio ANG 2 months ago. All kept their rank.

Hated to lose those 2 Marines to the Air Guard. But both of them lived 3-4 hours from the drill center, and the ANG unit is about 30 minutes away. Both of them had already deployed at least once and have babies on the way. Combine the personal reasons with the limited funding Marine firefighters get for training and equipment compared to the ANG, I can't blame them. I'd do it myself if I could bear the thought of wearing that bus driver's uniform.

MembersZone Subscriber

My question is when did they stop taking prior service. I've been out for a few years now but I remember going to Goodfellow with prior service members from other service. Worked with a few from other afsc's while deployed too.

Who is spreading these rumors that the AF isn't taking prior service anymore? My recruiter disagrees, and the "hubub" over on the air force side of the military.com forums is that the AF has no problems taking prior service at this moment.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

MembersZone Subscriber

The Kansas Air Guard is not taking prior service people - straight from the recruiter's mouth to my ear. AF Reserve said they's be happy to, but currently no fire protection openings. Don't know about A/D AF.

Forum Member

AF Reserve are more than happy to take prior service. AF Active duty is not taking any prior service.

Quote Originally Posted by NewBieAFFF
    AF Reserve are more than happy to take prior service. AF Active duty is not taking any prior service.
    Since when? Got proof?
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Thread Information