MembersZone Subscriber

Default Accidental Christmas

Rascal was a ten-month old, mixed breed puppy. The story goes that he was part Yellow Labrador, Terrier and Dalmatian.

And it was the “part Dalmatian” that found Rascal wanting to be a fire dog. Unfortunately, the only spot he had on his tan-colored coat was around his right eye.

Not enough spots to get me a ride on a fire truck laments Rascal.

Rascal had his dream and his dream was about all he had. He was orphaned and homeless. That’s to say that his home was wherever he could find scraps of food and bed was often in a culvert or a box thrown in an alley.

Rascal had a tough time trusting anyone. After all, he was very young when a guy threw him into a ditch from a moving car. By the time Rascal came to a stop, his entire body was badly bruised and his right, front leg was broken. He lay there in pain, afraid to cry out, because he didn’t want some wild animal to find him. He had heard stories about monsters from the woods feeding on small, defenseless animals and Rascal didn’t want to find out if those stories were true or not.

Rascal never got to know his family. Just barely old enough to have his eyes open, he remembers being grabbed by the back of his neck and put into a bag; never to see his mom again. He believed with all of his heart that his mom never had a choice. And if he ever got to see her again, he would tell her that he didn’t blame her. He thought about her often. He even worried about her. After all, she was living with the man who threw him out of a moving car, like he was a cigarette butt. He worried that his mom was being mistreated or worse.

But he was on his own. He had to stay sharp. He had to avoid the pitfalls, the traps and the many dangers in his solitary world.

It was December 24th-Christmas Eve. It was just another day for Rascal. Christmas Eve held no significance to Rascal. He was cold and hungry…and looking for food.

Rascal always felt badly after he ate. Not because the food made him sick, but because he thought he was stealing. It’s true that what he was able to scrounge was thrown out by someone, but he felt it didn’t belong to him. He would grab it and run, if he saw someone coming. He felt guilty, but his tummy felt better!

Rascal had no concept of Christmas or the holiday season, although traffic seemed heavier than usual.

Rascal was walking along the highway when he noticed a restaurant on the other side. Ah; he would take up temporary residence there and enjoy several days’ worth of meals.

As he waited for the traffic to clear, he couldn’t stop thinking about the tasty morsels on the other side of the road.

Wait, wait, wait; just one more car and then I can eat.

Rascal slipped on a patch of ice as he started to cross the road. He thought he could still make it, so he continued. No problem with the first lane and then BOOM! Rascal doesn’t even remember it.

By the time Rascal came to, it was getting dark. And there was someone standing over him. He couldn’t move, so he growled. The guy jumped back, fearing that he would be bitten. He ran back to his car and left.

It was starting to snow.

Great; I’m going to be buried under snow and die and no one will know until spring.

The snow was deep in the ditch and Rascal was having trouble feeling his back legs. He had to get out of the cold or surely, he would die. Rascal started pulling himself with his front legs. He was cold, hurt, hungry, lonely, but mostly; he was determined to live!

It was dark now and the fire truck was returning to quarters with its crew; ELTee, Cap, Johnny and Walt. ELTee caught something out of the corner of his eye, as he piloted the big engine down the road.

“Did anyone else see that?” he asked.

“See what?” asks Cap.

“I thought I saw somethin’ laying in the ditch. Mind if we go back and take a look, Cap?” asks ELTee.
    Want to find out how it ends?
    Members can go to www.iacoj.com.
    Non-members can join!
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

I just read through the entire story three times. WOW! That was a great bit of writing there CR.

**hmm firewall problems with the Crusty site. I scared to ask who provided what inspiration for which character. (maybe its better to let sleeping dogs lay )
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 12-15-2005 at 03:38 PM.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefReason
    Want to find out how it ends?
    Non-members can join!
    CR
    Chief...for being a man with such a grateful and open heart, you are so WRONG!!! Wrong, I tell you!

[Snickering...]"I'll get you, my pretty!"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by skyraider
    Chief...for being a man with such a grateful and open heart, you are so WRONG!!! Wrong, I tell you!

[Snickering...]"I'll get you, my pretty!"
    Sky:
    For you, I will email it to you.
    Send me something to rockysroom@winco.net.
    But I wish you'd join. Drop my name to them.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

Forum Member

Just for me? Gee...not sure I've ever seen myself blush before! I feel special!

So...What does Cap say? "Turn 'em around" OR "I ain't seen nothing...keep going."???? I need to know what happens to Rascal.

Thanks, Chief! Email's on the way...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by skyraider
    Just for me? Gee...not sure I've ever seen myself blush before! I feel special!

So...What does Cap say? "Turn 'em around" OR "I ain't seen nothing...keep going."???? I need to know what happens to Rascal.

Thanks, Chief! Email's on the way...
    Hey:
    I'm trying to send it, but your server keeps rejecting it.
    What's up with that?
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

Forum Member

Damn Chief that was like opening a thread to a big pie fight SPLAT. Got to love the good old bait and switch.

Stay Safe

Forum Member

That's what I get for using a free ISP for dialup! Sending you an alternate email....because by now I've got Rascal at the pound listening to all the other dogs yelping in their little cages and all the people adopting pets by-pass Rascal cause he lost an eye in the accident and both his legs had to be amputated cause he was stuck in the cold for so long.... Please tell me that's not how the story ends...if so, don't bother sending it! I need a happy story today!

Thread Information