Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: **** on newsday

Forum Member

Default **** on newsday

Hi guys i got a whole bunch of newdsay stickers made it just shows what i personally think of them i support local fds all around and will show it. I have them on ebay and can be contacted personally if you want them sandm316@aol.com is my email this is the ebay ink http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6023220864

Lightbulb

Three things...

1. You have violated copyright laws by making up this sticker.

2. By offering this items for sale, and advertising it on FH.com, you have violated the terms of service agreement.

3. A word of advice... never get into a ****ing contest with someone who buys ink by the barrel!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Well said Captain....well said.
    IACOJ

Absolutely..... VERY well put... however....

Can someone explain to me what the big problem is with Newsday?

Could I possibly be that far in the dark?

Did I miss something?
    Giggity - Giggity!

Forum Member

Default newsday

1. it is not a violation because that is not the true logo they use it is just regular text and it is able to be used .

2. if i violated the tos that my mistake did not read them to be honest

3. and as far as messing with newsday they could write anything that would be fine with me but i will not be one to be bashed and lied about and stand by idle. If thats the way u are that is your preference.

4. If you dont agree with the sticker or the statement im sorry than dont look at it

have a goood day

MembersZone Subscriber pvfire424's Avatar

This thread may shed some light on the subject at hand

Newsday article discussion

MembersZone Subscriber
    Asheville, North Carolina, United States of America

Question I am totally in the dark here.

I am with wmff12 when he asks about what is going on...just exactly what did "newsday" do to whiz in this guys cherrios??

As much as I like the logo, i dunno if i'd put one on my truck. I prolly WOULD actually.

But im mad at newsday like a lot of others. They blew everything out of proportion. Im tired of defending FD's to my grandfather because he read an article. Hes always saying how his tax payer dollars goto our equipment and then we ask for donations and we have these HUGE houses and parties and what not... we DESERVE IT.

We VOLUNTEER our time to SAVE LIVES by RISKING our lives, and people want us to what, have crappy equipment and NOT have a place to hangout at. SHAME on them, FOR SHAME!

And newsday rights a huge series ****ing on us basically about how we take all the money for granted and they take a few cases of people hiding money and basically blame everybody. I didn't even read entire thing i was ****ed off and decided not to read something that started to point out flaws.

I dont read the news for a reason, lots of stuff that is left out. I cant blame them really if they wrote the truth, nobody would read the paper, they hafta make it sound GOOD and INTERESTING to read. They are a business bottom line.
    Adam, EMT-B

Wren, MS Until the forum gremlins pay a visit!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam07003
    But im mad at newsday like a lot of others. They blew everything out of proportion. Im tired of defending FD's to my grandfather because he read an article. Hes always saying how his tax payer dollars goto our equipment and then we ask for donations and we have these HUGE houses and parties and what not... we DESERVE IT.

We VOLUNTEER our time to SAVE LIVES by RISKING our lives, and people want us to what, have crappy equipment and NOT have a place to hangout at. SHAME on them, FOR SHAME!

Geez............where to start.............

Most vollies on here are appalled by what they have seen and heard on these forums. Come on now,
    we DESERVE IT
    or
    We VOLUNTEER our time to SAVE LIVES by RISKING our lives, and people want us to what, have crappy equipment and NOT have a place to hangout at.
    come on now, we're supposed to feel sorry for you guys and how Newsday treated you????? Could it be that SOME of the departments in question needed some light shed on what's going on? Look I don't have a problem with having good equipment, or nice trucks..........but geez, you can get to a point of diminishing returns!

Arrogance, Arrogance, Arrogance..................... ........Sorry just the way I see it. Please stop for the sake of all of us of us who give of our time, without expecting..........no DEMANDING something in return.
    Chief
    Wren Volunteer Fire Department
    IACOJ
    Southern Division

http://www.wrenfiredepartment.4t.com/

In Memory of:
    FireFighter/Pilot James Archer
    1946-2005
    "Rest in peace James, you now have the ultimate set of wings on you."

Thanks, LeuitEFDems

....."then we ask for donations and we have these HUGE houses and parties and what not... we DESERVE IT."
    ...."and NOT have a place to hangout at. SHAME on them, FOR SHAME!
    Adam, please GODdelete this post. Deserve it? How do you figure? If you are a Volly, career or POC. What does it matter? You DESERVE nothing more. If you receive something above and beyond what makes a department properly function, then you are considered BLESSED, FORTUNATE, LUCKY and maybe even throw in hardworking, sucessful, etc.

Now, before you go postal about me being paid....well....I'm NOT! I am a volunteer. I didn't even think that I deserved the last couple of drinks donated by the nearby store during the last fire.

IF you do indeed have the excesses and the masses are laveshing them upon you, so be it. But deserve it? I don't think so.
    YGBSM!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

If all you have is a hammer, then your problems start to look like nails.

IACOJ
    Southern Division.

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

Looks like a pretty good profit at $5 a sticker.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Actually im one of those people that doesnt have anything. the squad i volunteer for does things very well, we're always here. Last 12 hour shift did 14 calls. So im not speaking personally... im saying what i feel bout other agencies... i honestly think that they deserve nice places to hangout and all that... why shouldnt they get nice things? I mean why put them in crappy places...

i dunno im not gonna get into it, i said my 2 cents, i read your 2 cents, thats what discussions are, difference of opinions, everybodys entitled to them, im fine with it...
    Adam, EMT-B

First I have to say I don't agree with the shirts and stickers ****ing on Newsday that are being made. I feel these make the fire service as a whole look bad. With that said I hate Newsday for many reasons. It is not just for their slanted view of Long Island FD's. They put a slant on a good part of the stories they write.
    One example is:
    By now most of the country knows of the day laborer problems we are dealing with in Suffolk County. It started many years ago with a group of guys standing outside a 7-11 store looking for work. Over time it turned into a mob seen every morning at this specific area. There have been attacks on people (both day laborers and citizens), day labors run over and killed on the Hwy where they stand, citizens in MVA's with day laborers with no licenses or insurance (one case involved a death, the day laborer has fled the country), protests that turned to near riots, and the list goes on. Anytime the Police, Town, Or County try to do anything about the problem Newsday seems to run a "How dare they do that to the poor laborers (Illegal Aliens)" article. Not long ago they did a warm heartfelt story about how the day laborers are sending their un-taxed money back to their hometowns for capital projects. I guess being a leach on the services I pay for just doesn't matter if you a day laborer that's in the country illegally.
    My point is this nothing new for Newsday and I don't think it's in the best interest of the Long Island FD's to that level.

Sorry Rant off.

Stay Safe
    Last edited by XCAPT1; 12-18-2005 at 08:45 AM.

Forum Member

And newsday rights a huge series ****ing on us basically about how we take all the money for granted and they take a few cases of people hiding money and basically blame everybody. I didn't even read entire thing i was ****ed off and decided not to read something that started to point out flaws.
    You can be ****ed all you want, your sense of entitlement is probably a big reason why the article was written.

Let me ask this simple question (for everyone):

1) Why did you become a Firefighter?

Now, I am equiped with a highly sensitive BU11SH1T meter, so unless you want me to go into anaphylactic shock, go easy with your answers.

There are no wrong answers here, and many people who joined for more of the social aspect become great Firefighters.

So seriously, why did you join?
    Last edited by hfd66truck; 12-18-2005 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hfd66truck
    Now, I am equipment with a highly sensitive BU11SH1T meter, so unless you want me to go into anaphylactic shock, go easy with your answers.
    AIR I NEED AIR OMG I can't breathe......Help me someone ROTFLMAO airrrr......
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

AIR I NEED AIR OMG I can't breathe......Help me someone ROTFLMAO airrrr......

You know I remember reading somewhere that the new CPR protocols say you real don't need much air. So just have someone push on you chest and you should be fine.

Stay Safe

You know all of this would have blown over by now if those involved had simply said "you know, some of us DO need to revise our attitude and our spending practices" instead of not only attempting to defend these exorbitant purchases but of attacking anyone who questioned their right to do so.
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by mfd333
    Hi guys i got a whole bunch of newdsay stickers made it just shows what i personally think of them i support local fds all around and will show it. I have them on ebay and can be contacted personally if you want them sandm316@aol.com is my email this is the ebay ink http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6023220864
    Another fine example that no matter what happens, tragedy, news story, anything, someone will figure a way to make a buck off from it.

Here is my take on this. The LI FD's got a group black eye for the excesses of some. The LI voters had a chance with highly publicized elections, thanks to the stories in Newsday, to change their representation on the fire boards and they didn't do it. There doesn't seem to be a major outcry to change the way things are run. What does this tell us? Frankly it tells me why do I give a damn? I don't live on Long Island, I have never even been to Long Island, and I don't foresee ever going to Long Island, so why should I care how they spend their LOCAL tax monies? Further if mopes like this sticker salesman would just let this crap go away instead of continually drawing attention to it in 6 months people will forget about it. The American people have the shortest memories for anything political or for the most part anything important.

As for this load of crap...WHY ARE YOU A FIREFIGHTER?

But im mad at newsday like a lot of others. They blew everything out of proportion. Im tired of defending FD's to my grandfather because he read an article. Hes always saying how his tax payer dollars goto our equipment and then we ask for donations and we have these HUGE houses and parties and what not... we DESERVE IT. Really? So you became a volunteer firefighter because YOU deserve to be rewarded for what is supposed to be selfless commnuity service? Please, put down the gun before you shoot yourself in your other foot. You are not helping yourself or your Long Island FD Brothers and Sisters with nonsensicle crap like that. How does the rest of the country do it? As an instructor I have been in small rural FD's that don't even have bathrooms and yet they seem to have more than enough members, make do with less than desirable equipment and budgets far below a $50K annual budget touted on these forums by another LI FF.

We VOLUNTEER our time to SAVE LIVES by RISKING our lives, and people want us to what, have crappy equipment and NOT have a place to hangout at. SHAME on them, FOR SHAME! Blah, Blah, Blah...Reread what I said above before you try to get sympathy for what you think you deserve, As for risking your lives to save lives...if it's too much for you McDonald's is always looking for people. GROW UP. You deserve nothing except good training and good equipment if you joined as a VOLUNTEER to serve your community. If you are lucky enough to get the perks you get then look up and thank God that people where you fight fire can afford to give you those luxuries you so like to whine that you deserve. Honestly, I couldn't care less what you have, how you got it, or how your FD is run, but don't cry when it gets pointed out to the world, there are far more have nots in this country than the spoiled haves like you are.

I dont read the news for a reason, lots of stuff that is left out. I cant blame them really if they wrote the truth, nobody would read the paper, they hafta make it sound GOOD and INTERESTING to read. They are a business bottom line. If they lied how about some facts to support your side? Show me where the $11 million fire house can be justified? Or training trips to the Caribean? Or $50K annual dinners? (Which by the way is $11K higher than my POC FD's entire budget for the year) Why can't a single one of you defend these things with logical arguments? All I hear is whining essentially about being outed.
    If the Long Island people on here who continue to spew this nonsense would just drop it it would go away. Maybe they like be spotlighted for all there excess...I can't help but wonder at this point.

FyredUp

Forum Member

just to inform you because obviously you shot your mouth off about making a buck before you found out when you even had my email address i am not making a dollar off of this they are very high quality stickers and that was the cost to me and i make nothing i just am doing this beacuse me and a few buddies got them and felt we should share take at for what you will but like said before u dont like it its fine. Its comming from my department that runs around 2500 calls a year, and gets nothing plus expects nothing and im tired of getting ****ed on for what a few do the majority are paying

Forum Member

Default Newsday sources

You can't blame Newsday for this quote ;

"Nobody wants to be honest and face the facts," said Commissioner William Theis, chairman of the Terryville Fire District in Brookhaven Town. "I never want to see a catastrophe, but if one happens, the public's going to be asking us, what did we do?

"Just go to a parade and see all the equipment you've got there. Look at my budget this year. In my heart, I know we could have a paid department, but if I propose this, believe me, every Tom, Dick and Harry will be cutting my head off ... But we don't know who is going to come to the fire when the alarm gets kicked."
    NATRGBH83

Thread Information