MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fire Science Degree?

Are fire science degrees attained through an online university considered legitamate, or are they frowned upon as opposed to someone who gets their fire science degree by physically going to a school which offers the degree. I am trying to increase the chance of getting hired, but I do not live close to a school that offers a fire science program. Also, if the online route is legitimate; what are some reputable online schools. Thanks for the help.

MembersZone Subscriber

They are absolutely legitimate. Online programs are often more difficult and require a more motivated student to succesfully complete. The Degrees at a Distance Program sponsored by the USFA/NFA (http://www.usfa.fema.gov/training/nf...s/distance/)is run through several universities across the country. They use a cuuriculum developed by the USFA/NFA. They are taught by highly qualified instructors using a web-based virtual classroom.

I finished my degree through the program at University of Maryland University College. (http://www.umuc.edu/ugp/majors/fscn.html).

There are also graduate level programs offered in a degree at a distance format. Worcester Polytechnic Institute and University of Maryland offer such programs.

I think if you look at the schools on the list of colleges offering the courses through the NFA (http://www.usfa.fema.gov/training/nf.../college.shtm), the caliber and quality of the programs will be obvious.

Hope this helps.

Forum Member

i have not seen many departments that have strict college requirements. the most frequent requirements I have seen (this is mostly the east coast of course) is FF I/II and/or having national registry paramedic cert. Few require college, those that do typically will require 60 credits or an associates. i have yet to see a department requiring a bachelors and from my expierence a degree in fire science is treated the same as a degree in criminal justice or english.

you should carefully screen the departments you are considering and find out there requirements and preferences. i am definately pro college i have my bachelors myself however my medic cert is what got my hired and got me more money not my bachelors. so just in the interests of saving your time and increasing your odds of getting hired take a look and see if a fire science is preferred or required and please if you get a chance post it here because i woul be very interested in this is becoming a growing trend among departments.

MembersZone Subscriber

I probably should have added a comment about that. I teach in a Fire Science program at the community college level.

I have not seen one instance where a FS degree will help you get hired in and of itself. Going to college makes you a better and more mature candidate, regardless of your degree program, in terms of a broad base of knowledge and logic. The knowledge gained in a FS degree program will make you a better FF in the field and will give you a solid foundation to begin your studying for an officer position.

I reluctantly agree with the comments about medic school. My perspective is that this is actually for the convenience of the department, as they do not have to spend their time and money to send you.

MembersZone Subscriber

it does not matter as long as the degree is from an acredited school.

Thread Information