Forum Member

Default Greetings from San Angelo

Hey, so after much waiting and anticipation I"m finally here at the Louis F. Garland fire academy at Goodfellow AFB. Hoorah Fire Dogs. If anybody has any questions about how I got here, or what it's like here, ask away.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre08
    Hey, so after much waiting and anticipation I"m finally here at the Louis F. Garland fire academy at Goodfellow AFB. Hoorah Fire Dogs. If anybody has any questions about how I got here, or what it's like here, ask away.
    Hey Spectre08,

How did you get there??? Boat maybe??? Just kidding.

Congratulations on getting there. Now buckle down and pay attention to your instructors. They have alot to offer. Take care and stay safe!!!

Louis F. Garland Graduate of 2001
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre08
    Good job buddy. How did Basic treat you? Good luck with your schooling

btw, who is your instructor?

Forum Member

Get ready for the Firefighter PT, AAHHH Good time had by all.

Forum Member

Do they allow officers in the Air Force or Air National Guard to become firefighters? If so, where do they complete there training?

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb Ims

Quote Originally Posted by Andro86
    Do they allow officers in the Air Force or Air National Guard to become firefighters? If so, where do they complete there training?
    nope. When a new airman comes on the floor at his/her new base after school, he is put on the back of the pumper, usually as a lineman. As they complete thier upgrade training, and acquire new certifications (along with obtaining rank) they move up to driver, then crew chief. A driver is usually a Senior Airman/Staff Sergeant (E4-E5) and a crew chief is usually a Staff/Tech Sergeant (E5-E6). If a new 2nd Lt comes out of tech school, due to the rank structure, he cannot be placed on the back of a pumper, working for a Staff Sergeant. And vice verse, you cannot place a new 2nd Lt in a crew chief's position when he doesn't have the certification nor the experience to command a truck. The only time an officer is involved with a fire department is when his is a commander of the squadron that the fire department falls under. For Ramstein, the fire department flight falls under the Civil Engineering Squadron, then the CE Group. The CE Squadron's commander goes to a 2 weeks course at Goodfellow to learn basic fire deparment principles, such as the ICS and IMS. If there were to be any large scale incident that the commander would have to be involved, the Fire Chief would work closely with the Commander at a Command Post and would serve a job such as being a liason to the higher ups (Wing Commander, other Group Commanders, etc.) The Deputy or Assistant Chief would have command of all firefighting operations. At different locations it could work diferently, but for Ramstein, that is the basic structure. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

Chris

Forum Member

So, a couple weeks into training now. Our class finished block II yesterday, today we start block III, which means we get issued our bunker gear, SCBAs, etc. today. Pretty excited to finally get out of the classroom and start doing some practical stuff.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool I am in block III right now and will be finished with it next week you A or B shift? Talk to you in formation someday i guess.

Ryan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by total20303
    Cool I am in block III right now and will be finished with it next week you A or B shift? Talk to you in formation someday i guess.

Ryan
    I'm in B-shift
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

Forum Member

Default Spectre

Hey...i just graduated from Louis F Garland on December 21st..haha the day of exodus....u say u were on B-Shift...do u happen to remember a Stanton or Blom or even Maxwell...that was my class..Block 6 was the shiz...but dont mess around..the instructors r like raptors

Forum Member

Since you are only half way through who have been your instructers so far. Hopefully in block 6 you don't get sgt Everet he is a jerk. I went through over a year ago it was good stuu

MembersZone Subscriber

I never knew guys from the Air Force hung out here. So, I just wanted to chime in and say goodluck. By now I think you are on block IV. BURNS. You may have one of my good friends as an instructor or soon to be instructor. SSgt Reichle. If so, tell him WILSON says HI! I was stationed in Charleston SC with him (that place is awesome, maybe the best stateside base for a FF?)

So enjoy bro, and keep in mind the burns at school are nothing like the real deal. They are pretty neat and can get hot, but just dont let yourself think its going to prepare you for what you will face in a real one.

Class of late 99-00

Forum Member

Spectre08, Kick Airman Pruitt for me and tell him the class leader said howdy,,,

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fowlplay
    Spectre08, Kick Airman Pruitt for me and tell him the class leader said howdy,,,
    I'd like to kick airman pruitt square in the balls for you. I'm gonna choke slam him one day before I graduate.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Good fellows a joke

Look dont get all excited about going through good fellow, its nothing. They push people through like theres no tomorrow. Anyways certs are no good when you try to go over to a REAL department and you still need to go through their academy. And if you dont have to or they dont make you the deparments garbage too. And for anyone that wants to argue that point dont try.

Forum Member

This again... didnt we just visit this like .... ummmm... last week.

Forum Member

Default Contacts/Glasses

Does anyone know if you can wear contacts or do you have to wear glasses down there at the academy? Thanks for the info...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter86 View Post
    Look dont get all excited about going through good fellow, its nothing. They push people through like theres no tomorrow. Anyways certs are no good when you try to go over to a REAL department and you still need to go through their academy. And if you dont have to or they dont make you the deparments garbage too. And for anyone that wants to argue that point dont try.

You must be telling the truth. By your spelling and grammar, they will let anyone through the school. Please don't knock Goodfellow AFB.....they teach you the basics. That is "ALL" they need to do. The rest is learned OJT.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by THEFIRENUT View Post
    You must be telling the truth. By your spelling and grammar, they will let anyone through the school. Please don't knock Goodfellow AFB.....they teach you the basics. That is "ALL" they need to do. The rest is learned OJT.
    Look NUT dont try and tell me the academy is "good". Its the military there isnt anything "good" about it. The instructors come from bases right? And when was the last time you heard of any base having a real fire?? So tell me how can any of these guys teach? Look at real academys where the instructors have been fighting fires their whole life and not just going to bs calls. You cant excpect to learn anything from a person that has never had a real fire. I worked with guys that were instructors and they even admitted its a joke. He told me they push people through because they need to fill quota and 99% of the instructors NEVER saw a fire. So unless you can tell me something different than leave it at that. And for anyone wanting to go through an academy go to a city one, better training and better teachers.

cgerdes97
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter86 View Post
    Look NUT dont try and tell me the academy is "good". Its the military there isnt anything "good" about it. The instructors come from bases right? And when was the last time you heard of any base having a real fire?? So tell me how can any of these guys teach? Look at real academys where the instructors have been fighting fires their whole life and not just going to bs calls. You cant excpect to learn anything from a person that has never had a real fire. I worked with guys that were instructors and they even admitted its a joke. He told me they push people through because they need to fill quota and 99% of the instructors NEVER saw a fire. So unless you can tell me something different than leave it at that. And for anyone wanting to go through an academy go to a city one, better training and better teachers.
    Every instructor that I had told plenty of stories, and 99% as a statistic is unrealistic, at least go for something like 76% or 80% even. I mean, if you going to BS someone, at least try to make it sound legit.

Most of the fires I fought were in deployed locations (isn't that why the military is here anyways?). Many stateside bases, and even here in Germany, have mutual aid runs. I have been off base quite a few times for mutual aid calls.

The military is very big on fire prevention. I lost count of how many alarm activations we responded to where a big fire potential was present but because every government owned building is alarmed/sprinklered, it never got out of control, destroying people's homes or sensitive items/documents.

I'm sorry you feel that way about the DoD academy, but whatever, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Forum Member

Default Glasses/Contacts

Does anyone know if you can wear contacts or do you have to wear glasses down there at the academy? Thanks for the info...

Thread Information