MembersZone Subscriber

Default Teacher allows son to bring gun to school (TWICE!?!)

Found this in the Richmond times Dispatch...This one takes the cake...Teaching requires a degree and a comprehensive licensing process (Heck, being a barbor requires a comprehensive licensing process.)

Being a parent, unfortunately, does not.

Teacher's Son Said to Take Gun to School

SHICKSHINNY, Pa. (AP) -- An elementary school teacher whose 11-year-old son twice brought a loaded handgun to school faces felony child endangerment charges.

Linnea C. Holdren, 43, and her son were both suspended from Hunlock Creek Elementary School, and the boy faces an expulsion hearing later this month, officials said.

According to a police affidavit, Holdren told officers who offered to give her a gun lock: "I can't lock up his guns. They belong to him, and he has a right to use them whenever he wants to use them."

The boy showed the loaded gun to other students during recess on Nov. 29, authorities said. Police were called after another student reported the gun.

The boy also brought the gun to school on Nov. 23 and showed another boy how to load it in a bathroom, police said.

Police believe Holdren prompted her son, during a police interview at the school, to falsely state that he had been target shooting before school and forgot he had the gun with him.

Holdren was arraigned Wednesday. She could lose her teacher's license if convicted.

Holdren could not be located for comment Sunday. There was no phone listing for a Linnea Holdren in the Shickshinny area, a community of about 1,000 residents in northeast Pennsylvania about 15 miles southwest of Wilkes-Barre.

Disillusioned Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by britfan1
    According to a police affidavit, Holdren told officers who offered to give her a gun lock: "I can't lock up his guns. They belong to him, and he has a right to use them whenever he wants to use them."
    An 11 year old "has a right to use them whenever he wants to use them"? I had to read that several times to be sure I was actually seeing what I was reading. Absolutely unbelievable....and sad.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Thread Information