Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Exclamation Officer Requirements

Looking for some input as to what other departments as doing as far as officer requirements, I know in some places it the member who buys the most beer (which might not be a bad thing) however we are a small volunteer department and just trying to set some standards.

Forum Member

Firstly, set a minimum standards that ALL, not just new officers have to meet.

Ours for all afficers are a minimum of

Five years experience, EMT-B, Fire Officer 1 within the first year, as well as continuation of education throughout your time as officer, as well as driver/op for engines, and a minumum points rating, points are given for incidents responded to, miscellaneous station duties, schools, and training nights. As you move up the ranks, more things are required, which means you must spend more time involved with the department. I'll scan you a copy of our officer requirements and send it to you, PM me with your e-mail address.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Ours go's something like this.

Minimum 3 yrs service.

2nd Lt. - ICS level 2, Haz awareness & ops, FF1, Truck co ops

1st LT - Have held previous w/ requirements , Engine co ops

Captain - All previous plus ICS level 3 , Building construction
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

First & Second Lieutenant
    -Must have at least two years in the company and three years experience as a Fire Fighter.
    -Must have New Jersey Fire Fighter Level 1 Certificate issued by the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs, Division of Fire Safety.
    -Must have passed Pump School.
    -Must have an I.M.S. Level 1 Certificate issued by the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs, Division of Fire Safety.
    -Must be FAST Level II certified.

Captain:
    -Must have served as 1st & 2nd Lt. for at least one year respectively.
    -Must have at least three years in the company and five years experience as a Fire Fighter.
    -Must have New Jersey Fire Fighter Level 1 Certificate issued by the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs, Division of Fire Safety.
    -Must be approved operator as per the Driver/Operator Standard Operating Guideline.
    -Must have an I.M.S. Level 1 Certificate issued by the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs, Division of Fire Safety.

Deputy Chief:
    -Must have served as Captain for at least one year.
    -Must have at least five years in the company and six years experience as a Fire Fighter.
    -Must be approved operator as per the Driver/Operator Standard Operating Guideline.

Safety Officer:
    -Must have at least two years in the department as a Fire Fighter.
    -Must have passed a Safety Officers Training class or its equivalent.

Assistant Chief:
    -Must have served as Deputy Chief for at least one year.
    -Must have at least six years in the department and seven years experience as a Fire Fighter.

Department Chief:
    -Must have served as Assistant Chief for at least one year.
    -Must have at least seven years in the department and eight years experience as a Fire Fighter.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Quote Originally Posted by battalionchief1
    Looking for some input as to what other departments as doing as far as officer requirements, I know in some places it the member who buys the most beer (which might not be a bad thing) however we are a small volunteer department and just trying to set some standards.
    Unfortunately, in some volunteer fire departments, whoever buys the most beer is a standard/requirement for promotion to being an officer in charge of the safety of his/her personnel.

Being a career firefighter who has to take an exams for entry into the fire service and for promotions, I would have to say that something similar to Bones' FD's requirements would fit your needs nicely.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

At least 3 years on the job, state certified company officer (7-40 hr classes and exam), at least 1 year as acting officer. Once you have all this, you enter the promotional process which consists of a written exam, interview, teaching project and tactical scenario. Candidates are then ranked by score and promoted in order (highest score first). New candidate list every 3 years.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Default Officer Requirements

Quote Originally Posted by battalionchief1
    You've identified an area with VFD that is a common problem for most. There needs to be standards, or at least some guidelines, for both line officers and for administrative officers of VFD.

Of course in looking at line officers their training and experience is an imperative. However, sometimes the best firefighters don't make the best line officers. As an example, you might have a FF who is agile and athletic and has good training and experience for interior attack, but they would be a horrible officer, because they don't have people skills, they don't make good decisions on a consistent basis, and they take far too many, unnecesary (if not stupid) risks.

The NFPA has set some pretty good standards and NFA does have a good course for line officers, however, look for these 2003 standards to be raised much higher in 2008, when they are scheduled for review and revamping.

When you talk about the lower qualified and unqualified officers of a VFD, it seems to be worse when you talk about administrative officers, because most members will use some judgment on picking a chief or line officer, but he who buys the most beer, or is the bully of the VFD, becomes the president or other administrative officer. And let's face it, admin. officer, certainly good ones, are as important as good line officers. Someone has to make sure the bills are paid, funding is acquired and can get new apparatus and equipment to rival a creative U.S. Army supply seargant.

I have started posting a curriculum for VFD officers, both line officers and administrative (emphasis admin though) at http://VFD-Funding.com Now before someone says this is shameless promotion and this to come from those most likely would flunk this course, do note that I may get a whole total of 15 visitors from firehouse.com and my posts per month, but I do get about 60,000+/month from search engines and other sources. If anybody isn't sure, just go to MSN.com (the #2 most visited site on the web) and type "VFD funding" as a search term...guess who is #1 & #2? I'm also doing two (2) full page ads in Fire-Trader every month starting in February. One will be for the funding services and one will be for the VFD Management Course. I'd start in January, but I have much to do on this course, I've got funding I need to do for some VFD and I've got new employees that I must train; before I get even more than 60,000+ monthly visitor that I get now.

When you go to VFD-Funding.com, check out the syllabus I've got up there for this comprehensive VFD Management Course and I do have some of the modules on the air so far. THIS IS A FREE COURSE FOR VFD. I am only putting on certain modules at a time, so nobody who thinks they know everything will jump ahead. . .I'm also testing each module with line and admin. officers of VFD, combined and paid departments (including those in large urban cities in the USA)

I've talked with DHS, NFPA and the NFA about this FREE course and don't be surprised if you see it, see many references to it and the material/examples/exercises in it in the near future. If anybody wants to know why these agencies are taking this course seriously, do note that I've been a FF since 1972, I've held various offices since then, and I'm an Ed.D (Ph.D) in Administration since 1981. I'm also working with many VFD and paid professional departments as we're testing each of these modules, before I put them on the air for everybody to see and use.

If anybody has any suggestions about this course, or things you would like to see for it to include that may not be there already, please write me privately. I'm sure those who may make commentary about it, without reviewing the syllabus or any content, that all others here will see and know that they did so, because they made such commentary because deep down they even know they are the least professional and likely to pass a comprehensive course such as this.

Wow, painting with such a broad brush makes me want to review your information.

Good luck with your endeavor.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    Wow, painting with such a broad brush makes me want to review your information.

Good luck with your endeavor.
    Thanx Bones,

Feel Free to look over any and all of it, because it is FREE to use on-line, if you're a volunteer FF/EMS.

I do recommend that you matriculate through it starting with the first module and working through each successive module, because some of the first ones will be key to making the later ones much easier and quicker to do. I'm doing it so that someone can go through the entire course self-paced. It doesn't matter how fast someone gets through it all, just that they do. Those who may think they're smart and try to prove how smart they are by rushing through it, certainly given the exercises to put things into immediate application, will no doubt find this to prove how foolish trying this too fast may be.

As I point out and demonstrate that I'm trying to be as comprehensive as is possible, but not looking for a cookie-cutter approach here because every department is different, has different needs, and even if there are common needs/issues their proportions and priorities are different.

I will advise that as I have many fire chiefs, assistant chiefs, captains, lieutenants, presidents, VP, Sec. & Treasurers working through these modules with me privately as registered users, they're all saying that it may be the toughest course they've taken and this includes those with college degrees. It may be a two edged sword for some in that those who make it through this will show they're qualified to become officers, emphasis administrative or senior line officers, while those who don't, may find themselves out of office.

If you have any questions or suggestions, write to me privately.

If you take your time, go step by step and module by module, you'll get through it and you'll be amazed how helpful some of this may prove to be to you and to your department. It will require using one's brain and a lot of thinking, but do you really want/need to have officers, or be an officer, who doesn't?

Thread Information