MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation Time to take up arms for ACTION

While I am here.... Hey we need to keep up our grassroots effort to keep the AFG funding. We all have heard rumors and those rumors should scare us into action. The fireservice can be its own worse enemy. We need to each contact ALL our congressional representation and remind them of how important the AFG is and how underfunded it is. We should not wait for the others to do it. AND please do not send a form letter that someone else wrote. Make it from your heart, and follow it up with a call to the local offices. That's how stuff gets done.

Write your letters from your heart tell them in charge how the AFG is totally underfunded and hey maybe your department can be the next Patterson, NJ to be funded at an un precedented level. Do you think the fire folks there sat around saying, Oh Who is me?"

take the time now and.... JUST DO IT!!!

And why you are at it thank them for the support in the past. They need hear good things too!

MembersZone Subscriber

Amen to that and a hearty " I concurr and agree that everuone needs to take up this call to action". It is your program, if you don't support it, nurture it and encourage it; it will die!
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Don't just write letters (if sending them to DC, it takes longer by the way), e-mail and call the offices -- get to know the staffer that handles the fire service issues in the District and DC offices on a first name basis. (But also don't be a nag.)

Visiting DC? Arrange for a meeting with the staffer...
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Forum Member

E-mails go in the electronic waste basket, at best they will get a form response. A VISIT to the office is your best way to insure proper representation. No Representative will refuse to meet with a constituent in person in the DC office while Congress is in session, and they will all meet with you in the district, although it often takes a while to arrange such a meeting. Senators are a little busier, but will most likely meet with you in DC if you make the effort to visit.

Whatever you do, do not waste your time or the staff's time with form letters in electroniclly or paper, or calling and reading from a script. Write from the heart in a short simple and concise manner.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    E-mails go in the electronic waste basket, at best they will get a form response.
    Not if you have established a "relationship" with appropriate individuals in the Reps office. Not hard to do. GET THEIR NAME when you call and their personal email address and keep it.
    A VISIT to the office is your best way to insure proper representation. No Representative will refuse to meet with a constituent in person in the DC office while Congress is in session
    Tried this with some of big time self important dems???,
    and they will all meet with you in the district, although it often takes a while to arrange such a meeting. Senators are a little busier, but will most likely meet with you in DC if you make the effort to visit.

Whatever you do, do not waste your time or the staff's time with form letters in electroniclly or paper, or calling and reading from a script. Write from the heart in a short simple and concise manner.
    Very true.

MembersZone Subscriber

E-mails go in the electronic waste basket, at best they will get a form response. A VISIT to the office is your best way to insure proper representation. No Representative will refuse to meet with a constituent in person in the DC office while Congress is in session, and they will all meet with you in the district, although it often takes a while to arrange such a meeting. Senators are a little busier, but will most likely meet with you in DC if you make the effort to visit.
    Well, in MY office, they do not go to a 'waste basket'. This is almost 2006 -- it is the perferred way to communicate. They get personal responses, sometimes by the member himself. Letters tend to get form repsonses depending on how many are received for the issue. And due to radiation/antrax/x-raying, it does take longer to get to the Washington DC offices. If you must mail a letter, fax a copy also.

Trust me, e-mail is the way to go. And getting to know the staffer that does fire service issues is also the way to go. In fact, my boss mentions it frequently in his speeches to large groups -- get to know the fire staffer in your rep's office. They are usually the same person that does Homeland Security.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ps

They're (Congressmen/women) all "home" until January 31st, so now is the time to schedule meetings in the District offices.

And if you're coming to DC in April for the CFSI dinner, start scheduling now. It's never too early.

Thread Information