Forum Member

Default Albany/Erie Area

Hi,

I just signed the papers for Albany Volunteer and wondered how many are from the area. I saw some post about Erie in here. Anything a new guy should know? Thanks.

Rob

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Hi Rob. Welcome to the Illinois Forums, by far the most active local forums here.

There's a great deal of information shared, and an equal amount of chop-busting. For example:

I know a guy from Eire FD. He's kind of a trouble-maker, though; I steer clear of him (Hi Darin!!).
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Forum Member

Thanks. We probably have mutual aid with Erie being so close to them so I am sure at some point I will be working with them. I still need to find out where lines are for the district and how far out we cover. Should be a good experience.

I noticed the Illinois forum was pretty active... I know growing up in Fulton, IL our volunteer department was held to high status and everyone in the community knows to hit the curb when you see blue lights. Seems to be a lot of pride in IL for our fire departments.

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Welcome from the southern part of the state. Darin is rather active here. So is that "Jaybird" guy - watch out for what he says. Actually, most of us tend to agree with Jay so he must be a good guy. (Hi, Jay!)
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Quote Originally Posted by jboczek
    Welcome from the southern part of the state. Darin is rather active here. So is that "Jaybird" guy - watch out for what he says. Actually, most of us tend to agree with Jay so he must be a good guy. (Hi, Jay!)
    Jack, are you buttering me up for something...?
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

S8ER95Z welcome from Fulton County
    The views expressed by me are my opinions and do not reflect the opinions of any of my affiliations.

"Hope is not a plan of action"
    IACOJ
    FTM-PTB

"There is plenty of room for all Gods creatures. On my plate, right next to the mashed potatoes!"

Forum Member

Hey guys. Not from Il myself, but my girlfriend lives out that way currently. She lives in Belleville/Shiloh area. Went to visit last month and visited a Belleville house. ANyone from that neck of the woods?? I am actually from NY myself, firefighter/EMT/Investigator. Look forward to future conversations with ya all.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Northwestern Illinois along the Mississippi

Welcome from Carroll County...just the county north of you. Might see you once in a great while on mutual aid...
    People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built. --Eleanor Roosevelt

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Quote Originally Posted by FireSlayer1098
    Hey guys. Not from Il myself, but my girlfriend lives out that way currently. She lives in Belleville/Shiloh area. Went to visit last month and visited a Belleville house. ANyone from that neck of the woods?? I am actually from NY myself, firefighter/EMT/Investigator. Look forward to future conversations with ya all.
    There's a couple of us from down South. I'm about 40 miles East of Belleville. We had a couple guys from our dept. that went to the fire academy at the college there. Nice town to visit AND live in, from what I've heard.

And, Jay, I'm not trying to butter you up. Just telling the truth.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Welcome to the IL forums! I am from Erie so if there is anything I can do to help your Firefighting career, I will try. If I can't the other guys in here can! Everyone, well, most everyone in here is very knowledgeable and can help. Feel free to contact me if you need anything.
    Lilyogi

Forum Member

Welcome from bureau county. Darin did you run that hazmat call to princeton last friday the 16th?
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yep, I was there, if that wasn't an interesting trip! ha ha
    Kinda glad we didn't end up doing anything, was pretty cold out to be playing in level A suits!!!
    Lilyogi

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lilyogi
    Yep, I was there, if that wasn't an interesting trip! ha ha
    Kinda glad we didn't end up doing anything, was pretty cold out to be playing in level A suits!!!
    A lot of people i know think that they over reacted. I dont know the extent of what happened but it kinda seems like they might have. I dont know, hope you had a good trip.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am not one to second guess another department and since I was not there at the start I do not know. I do know they were very prepared and ready to take care of the problem, but from my understanding, State Police wanted the interstate opened up immediately.
    It took us and Fulton a bit longer to get there due to the roads, we were driving through white out conditions on Rt 26 and then we came up on a car in the ditch on it's side leaning on a gas vent pipe. We stopped and the elderly guy was not hurt, we got the appropraite dept. responding (Amboy) and we removed the guy from his car and put him in Fulton's rescue to warm him up. Once Amboy arrived we continued on our way to Princeton. Rock Falls and Sterling, part of our MABAS division, was waiting for us to arrive so we could be moved to the scene. It was a good day even though we didn't get to do anything.
    Lilyogi

Forum Member

Oh i agree completely, I know princeton's DC. He is a good guy and is very knowledgible. I'm sure he had a good reason to pull the MABAS call. You went through the big city of Ohio then. I hope you didnt blink or you missed it. Glad you were able to help that guy. Where abouts was this guy hung up? Our district runs up that way till about green river. Looking at getting a wind farm up that way too. Will be a nice little shot in the arm for the local economy and the fire dept. Maybe we can get a nice new station just like you in a few years. LOL j/j but maybe some day. Have to get all our new equipment first. New truck and we are putting together a polaris ranger. I think we are just waiting on the skid unit.

MembersZone Subscriber

Be sure to post the pics of the ranger, I like to see what ideas others have. I am assuming you were at Princeton, where were you?
    Lilyogi

Forum Member

um actually i was at school that day and then out of the state. I wasnt there i am just hearing all the reports from guys at the department. I think some of them might have but i dont know that for sure. If they were they would have been where ever EMS staging was cause we dont have any HAZMAT guys. nobody wants to be a mop and glow boy for some reason. just a little joke i learned at school.

Forum Member

Glad to see some local guys. I am sure I will have many questions.. I am actually in the IT field (Programming/OPS) and this is all new to me. I just want to help out my local community and being originally from Fulton (Whiteside County) I know how important the volunteer department is. Thanks for the warm welcome!!

It is pretty scary that I know where all the places you guys are talking about are located and have been to them several times. I can't imagine what kind of things have happened without me even knowing (such as the call you were speaking of above). As a normal everyday citizen I obviously have taken for granted what all goes on in the world sometimes. Thank you guys for keeping me and my family safe. Now its my turn to lend a hand.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firebugfd105
    Welcome from Carroll County...just the county north of you. Might see you once in a great while on mutual aid...
    Lets just hope you guys (or we) don't have anything bad enough to make that happen. Was just up in Mt Carroll at Ravens Grin not to long ago. You in Mt Carroll or elsewhere?

MembersZone Subscriber
    Northwestern Illinois along the Mississippi

I live in Mt. Carroll but I work for Savanna Fire Department.
    Sad to say, I also have never been to Ravins Grin.. Should go one of these days.
    My husband is from Mt. Carroll, of course he's been multiple times.
    People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built. --Eleanor Roosevelt

Forum Member

oh thats cool. I have a friend or two who work at ElKay so Ive been to Savanna many many times.

You need to make a trip to Ravens...its a fun time.

Forum Member

Update:
    Went to the fire meeting on Tuesday and interviewed. I was voted in and now have my pager and key. I am now just waiting for my first tone to get an idea of how everything works in the control room. General consensus was until I know the area and how everything fits together (all the acronyms, and lingo used) I would sit in the control room and get my learn on. I am more than happy as this should give me some time to get to know the guys and not be more of a burden than help. I am currently on 6 months probation (probably a normal phase) so I can't proclaim to be a fire fighter just yet. I am excited right now and really eager to learn as much as possible.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Thread Information