Forum Member

Default Mesa Engine Hit Head On

Nobody on the Engine was seriously hurt - but the Mother and Son in the SUV were not so lucky. Hopefully they will make a full and quick recovery

There is a video of the story here - News Story

---------------------------------------------------

Boy, mother fighting for life after SUV collides with firetruck

JJ Hensley
    The Arizona Republic
    Dec. 20, 2005 06:08 PM

A mother and her young son clung to life in a Phoenix hospital after ramming head-on into a fire truck on the way to a training exercise in Mesa Tuesday.

Firefighters in the truck the woman collided with likely saved their lives, police said, because they jumped from the disabled truck to give first aid.

Cecile Mendoza, 32, of Mesa, was traveling eastbound on University Drive with her 5-year-old son in a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder shortly after 8 a.m. Tuesday when she lost control of the SUV and swerved into oncoming traffic, according to Mesa police spokesman Detective Tim Gaffney. advertisement

A Mesa Fire Department engine, traveling westbound on University, tried to avoid Mendoza and pulled two wheels onto the curb, but the SUV struck engine 213 head-on. The crash left the SUV's front end smashed like a pop can and sprawled across the westbound lanes of University Drive for hours.

One firefighter was treated on the scene for minor injuries, but no other firefighters were injured.

Gaffney said the quick-thinking firefighters likely saved Mendoza's life and her son's life.

"I credit the immediate medical attention they received from the Mesa Fire Department," he said. After the collision"they sprung right into action. It probably saved their lives."

The firefighters, from nearby station 213, at 7816 University Drive, were on their way to a training exercise and were traveling below the speed limit, according to Mesa police, without using the truck's lights or sirens.

Mendoza and her son were taken by air to St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix. Mendoza was listed in extremely critical condition and her son was listed as critical. Gaffney said Tuesday afternoon that both were expected to survive.

Mesa Fire Department spokeswoman Mary Cameli said accidents involving fire department vehicles are rare in Mesa. There have been handful of minor incidents in the last year, where a car hit a parked truck, for instance, Cameli said, but none were serious or involved injuries.

"As a department we feel very bad that this happened," Cameli said. "They did everything they could to avoid it.' Libby Rich, who lives in an apartment near the scene, was taking out her garbage when she heard a loud screech and a crash and called 911. She later saw the scene as she took her grandson to school.

"When I drove out here and saw it I just started to cry," she said.
    Warm Regards,
    Shawn Stoner
    EMT-B

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Well I don't think anyone will be able to Monday Morning Quarterback this incident. Good job!

My thoughts are with the Mesa Fire Department, Station 213 firefighters and with the Mendoza family.
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary
    Well I don't think anyone will be able to Monday Morning Quarterback this incident. Good job!

My thoughts are with the Mesa Fire Department, Station 213 firefighters and with the Mendoza family.

No, there was nothing that could have been done differently on the part of the engine -

If you look at the video, the damage to the SUV was pretty significant - I was surprised they were alive at the scene.
    Warm Regards,
    Shawn Stoner
    EMT-B

Forum Member

Good job by the fireifghters involved.
    Training does not make perfect. Training makes permanent!

IACOJ probie

Thread Information