MembersZone Subscriber

Default sucks to be me...

Da boyz are out on a call right now. I can't go as I have to go to work. I really don't care for my employer's policy. And I really don't like being left home (or not responding; whichever way you look at it).

Sucks to be me
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am right there with ya !!

It seems all the "good" calls happen before 5pm and on the weekdays.

At least I am far enough away, and isolated from outside, that I cannot hear the radio traffic.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Wow

I'm lucky in that respect. Firstly they can't fire you for going on a call - that's federal Law apparently (for Vonunteers at least)
    Also work totally understands and because I'm salary then they can't really not pay me for my time.
    It happens so very rarely that it's hardly an issue.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manx203
    Firstly they can't fire you for going on a call - that's federal Law apparently (for Vonunteers at least)
    It's a state law, not a federal one. and not all states have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manx203
    Also work totally understands and because I'm salary then they can't really not pay me for my time.
    no, but if you have a ***** of a boss (as I used to), if you do less than 40 hours, he can give you grief. it can also affect your future with the company. I do know of one FF who was a very active member of my department, who was fired because he left work for every call (he was given the ok to do it prior). but when you skip out too many times, then you are no longer being productive for work. and then they let you go.

Rookielz, I feel your pain. when i'm working, I can't go on any call between 6am and 5 or 6. doing so could mean me being late to work, and I need my job to make $$$.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

On my days off from my full time job 24/48 in another city i work pretty much everyday for the street and water department in my hometown, the street super is also on the FD and the all but 2 of the city fathers were 30+ yrs on the FD so it isn't an issue, we are even getting paid to go But we don't abuse it, if it is a rescue call only one of us will go, we are both paramedics and they like to see one of us, if we are doing a major job like a water main break or highway patching we just flag the boys through and watch'em roll. We are very lucky for a town of 2100 we can roll in the middle of the afternoon on a weekday with 15-18 guys.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am pretty lucky I work for my family's lumber company, my father was cheif for 15 years and is still active as a driver for both fire and rescue, the Assistant cheif of the fire dept also works for us....its not an issue for us to leave on a call during the day (provided we have enough coverage in the office). The down side is that i usually dont get paid for the time. It also helps the we gave the town the property that the station is on, which happens to be directly across the street for our office. (makes for great response times some days )
    FF II, EMT-P, Hazmat Tech

Forum Member

Default Work and Family come before the VFD

Quote Originally Posted by pvfire424
    I am right there with ya !!

It seems all the "good" calls happen before 5pm and on the weekdays.

At least I am far enough away, and isolated from outside, that I cannot hear the radio traffic.
    pvfire424,

Please elaborate what you mean by all the "good calls" -- What diffrence does it make that you miss calls because you're working ? I'm guessing that you consider the "good calls" as those that are the big ol' burn burner huh ? or the multi-vehicle crash where mass casulties litter the roadway ? Brother no dis-respect but please get a grip.....We're here for when we're needed not to hope we are.

ROOKIELZ,

Don't get up-set just because you have to work and the engines roll out. That's part of everyday life. You have to earn the mighty dollar and take care of home responsibilities before worrying about the VFD. I used to be in your shoes until I almost lost my car, home, and girlfriend because I spent more time "hangging out" at the station than working or taking care of home.

As for your employer's policy....Unfourtunatley he /she has the right to enforce any rules that they see fit. If you're gone at a fire who's doing your job ? and how are your bosse's demands to his customers being met ? -- If you really hate the policy than quit but that would seem pretty silly don't ya' think ?

I know my boss would be kinda' up-set if I protested leaving work for a fire call....But than again to leave one fire house to respond to another would really pi** off my battalion commander. -- You see that's why alot of volunteer fire companies hired people such as my-self to work at the station during the daytime hours so that those of you not able to make responses because of non-forgiving bosses could remain at work and take care of supporting your famlies. I go home at 1800 ....until 0600 the next morning it's all yours

Forum Member

Default I HEAR you.

I'm a vollie on LI (ok let's not go there please............) but work in NYC by day, not in emergency service just a plain old boring desk job....

Often I don't hear of what I missed until a day or two later when I'm at the firehouse, sometimes it's the talk and sometimes it's the smell that keys me in.

In a few cases where something big happens my wife will call me at work and she'll tell me what's going on just because she knows it will bug me (I keep telling her to join so I can at least live vicariously).

Luckily for me I'm self employed and can work from home sometimes, so I'm around for the day time calls. It's the best during the day when people aren't climbing over one another to get on the truck or to an SCBA (yes, most of the time dept.'s on LI have people literally climbing over one another to respond to calls).

We don't have a good system for real time reporting of active calls in this area, unless you subscribe to one of the buff pager services. Does anyone know of any ???
    Although, it might be best if I don't know what I'm missing until later.

As far as "good calls" I'll admit what many won't I'm in this for the excitment !
    I never wish anything bad on anyone and am the first to have a broken heart when I see someone hurt bad or a house ruined. In a perfect world these things would never happen, but they do and we show up and do the best we can - right? That said, I'd rather be riding to a worker or an MVA than to another fasle alarm, because that's what I train for and where I can make the most difference.

Be careful out there........ and Happy Holidays

MembersZone Subscriber

When I am not working my job at the fire station, and I am at my other job, I think I am pretty lucky. For starters one of the former owners was fire chief, one of the new owners is now a district chief. The Assist Chief of my dept works there, along with 6 others including my wife. Our shop only has 16 employees. And of the ones that are not on a dept 3 used to be on area depts!!!

Thread Information