Forum Member

Thumbs up Junior's honored for rescue!

Teens Honored for Rescuing Firefighter

Junior firefighters are trained to assist when needed.

When two teens saw one of their own fall 10 feet from an attic they stepped in to help.

Now months after that brave rescue the two North Middletown,Kentucky teens are being honored. These two teens don't like to think of themselves as heroes, but to many that's just what they are.

"I never dreamed I would have to rely on them." said North Middletown Fire Chief, Jeff McFarland.

It was May 8th and Fire Chief Jeff McFarland was responding to a fire in this North Middletown home.

Along with him, two junior firefighters who happened to be his son Wes and nephew Hunter.

That routine fire quickly turned into a rescue.

"I saw him fall and then I knew we had to get him out because he wasn't moving he wasn't walking," said Hunter McFarland, Jeff's nephew.

And that's just what the two teenagers did, they pulled McFarland from the house. What they didn't know was that he was suffering from a broken back and elbow. Wes watched in horror as his dad lay before him.

"I was hoping he would keep breathing and that the ambulance would hurry up and get there," said Wes McFarland, Jeff's son.

Now seven months after rescuing one of their own, these two are being hailed as heroes, even if that's not the label they choose.

"I would never have expected it from anybody, I mean I'd do it all over again the same I guess," said Hunter.

But to this fellow firefighter, they went above and beyond the call, even if to one he is dad and the other an uncle.

"Yes they are. I don't know how long it would have been before the other people on the fire ground that was busy doing other jobs with the fire would have been able to get to me to help me," said Jeff McFarland.

Both Wes and Hunter were presented with plaques honoring their efforts.

The two plan on pursuing the job in the future. For now they are concerned with finishing high school.
    Last edited by coldfront; 12-21-2005 at 09:57 AM.
    Always a day late and a dollar short!

Hillbilly Irish!

Forum Member

and you guys think juniors are useless.... they did a great job pulling him from that building and possibly saving his life
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

Forum Member

As juniors, What were they even doing inside the house???
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33
    it doesnt look like they were in the house, sounds to me like they were outside the house, saw him fall through and ran in to grab him
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

Saving a fellow firefighter's life, from what I can gather...

Forum Member

Here's my take on this. It's a multi-part response and keep in mind I dont' know all the details behind this so I'm only going on what I've read here.

The junior's were outside doing what they do outside the IDLH area. They saw a FF in trouble and there was nobody else handy to effect a rescue of him. They took a risk, ran in, grabbed him, and pulled him out. I would think of this no different than a good samaritan running into a house fire to rescue a trapped victim. I would never recommend or suggest any of our Explorers do that but I'm not going to punish them if they rescue someone that would not have been rescued otherwise. IF there were other FF's there and ready to rescue the injured party, the juniors and explorers should and would know better and would tell them of the situation and stay out. I get the impression that was not the case here.

This of course brings up the 2-in 2-out rule we all know and love. Why was he by himself and why wasn't there anyone else to rescue him besies two juniors? Not criticizing, just pointing out an example.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Same thoughts here.

Great job guys!
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

I want more details on the story, What were the conditions inside the building, were the explorers wearing SCBA. Why didnt they just run and tell command?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Golzy12
    I want more details on the story, What were the conditions inside the building, were the explorers wearing SCBA. Why didnt they just run and tell command?

Is that what you would do if it was your dad that was down?

...Sounds to me like they did a great job!

Merry Christmas!!!!
    Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

From what i gathered they were first on scene and he was the cheif, so he WAS command. Good job guys!
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tbonetrexler
    From what i gathered they were first on scene and he was the cheif, so he WAS command. Good job guys!

You beat me to it tbone.

The vic WAS command and they were the only other guys there, what would you do in that situation?!
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

. Why didnt they just run and tell command?
    firefighter that was trapped was command
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

I got it, if that was the case I would do the same.

Forum Member

Not to be a jack***** which I'm sure I'm being looked at as one. But if the vic was the OIC..What was he doing inside in the first place..Call me stupid but command is generally OUTSIDE!!! watching over the scene ..Not inside doing the grunt work

Sure its alll good and well that they rescued him..But what would have happened if the juniors went in and got injured themselves..That dept would be in heaves of s**t
    Last edited by ndvfdff33; 12-22-2005 at 12:50 AM.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

In a situation like this, who is going to stand there and think of the thousand variables of what might happen. Maybe command shouldn't have been inside the building, but he was and if it wasn't for the 2 juniors then he may not still be around. Like my dad always told me, you do what you gotta do and you don't complain about it.

Forum Member

Sure its great they rescued him..Hats off....Theres no maybe about it though that the command should not have been inside....He's essentially not command if hes doing this...But it still boggles my mind as to why the Juniors were the only two around that went in to get him....When I did my Junior thing yea I was on scene..But I was in no posistion to make a rescue..I was back away from the scene doing other dutys...Kind of sad that they were the only ones there to make it

Ryan

Forum Member

Sure its great they rescued him..Hats off....Theres no maybe about it though that the command should not have been inside....He's essentially not command if hes doing this...But it still boggles my mind as to why the Juniors were the only two around that went in to get him....When I did my Junior thing yea I was on scene..But I was in no posistion to make a rescue..I was back away from the scene doing other dutys...Kind of sad that they were the only ones there to make it

since the firefighter they rescued was chief, and also their dad/uncle, id say its possible that they might have just respoded with him in his chief vehicle, and first due engine might not have been there yet
    NJ FFII/EMT-B

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slaytallica45
    since the firefighter they rescued was chief, and also their dad/uncle, id say its possible that they might have just respoded with him in his chief vehicle, and first due engine might not have been there yet
    Ok...That very well could be..Which brings me to my next question..If this is the case..What was the Chief doing inside,more than likely with less than a full set of turnouts including SCBA.. What more is he going to see being inside doing a size up that he's not outside..Thats just plain stupidity if you ask me. ..Which once again brings me to a question...Did these Juniors have SCBA and bunker gear as well??

So if this is infact what happened...Cudos to the Chief/Dad/Uncle for setting a fine example for these young Juniors to follow
    Last edited by ndvfdff33; 12-23-2005 at 02:14 AM.

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

I just happened to have the IFSTA firedepartment company officer book in front of me right now and I saw something that could explain why the chief was inside.

Maybe he was in "fast-attack mode (p. 291)"

Fast-attack mode- when the company officer's direct involvment is nessecery for the crew to take immediate action to save a life or stabilize the situation, The crew will stay in fast-attack mode until one of the following occures:

-The situation is stabilized.
    -The officer must go outside to estabilsh a command post.
    -Command is transfered.

Also the book talks about Rescue mode- Where the 2 in 2 out rule is ignored when ther are confirmed victims (p. 286).

In either case the chief shouldn't have been in the building alone, but these modes could be his reasoning for going in in the first place.

Forum Member

I just happened to have the IFSTA firedepartment company officer book in front of me right now and I saw something that could explain why the chief was inside.

Maybe he was in "fast-attack mode (p. 291)"

Fast-attack mode- when the company officer's direct involvment is nessecery for the crew to take immediate action to save a life or stabilize the situation, The crew will stay in fast-attack mode until one of the following occures:

-The situation is stabilized.
    -The officer must go outside to estabilsh a command post.
    -Command is transfered.

Also the book talks about Rescue mode- Where the 2 in 2 out rule is ignored when ther are confirmed victims (p. 286).

In either case the chief shouldn't have been in the building alone, but these modes could be his reasoning for going in in the first place.
    Yes this could very well be the case...But are both of these situations also when there is a crew on scene with the officer...??

Thats kinda what I got out of it

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes this could very well be the case...But are both of these situations also when there is a crew on scene with the officer...??

Thats kinda what I got out of it
    Yea definetly with a crew, and like I said I don't understand why he was the only one in the house, but we still dont know the whole story. He could have been with a crew and just got seperated from them and then fell through the floor.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by coldfront
    It was May 8th and Fire Chief Jeff McFarland was responding to a fire in this North Middletown home.

Along with him, two junior firefighters who happened to be his son Wes and nephew Hunter.
    I think that about says there was no crew..And what intrigues me even more now that I read more..What in the holy hell was he doing in the bloody attic

Ryan

Thread Information